Chris Christie starts the bloodshed and cuts NJT funds

JohnQPine

Now NJ can deal with fare hikes and service cuts too. When will the madness stop? Why do politicians hate public transit so much?:confused:

http://www.wcbs880.com/TRENTON--Christie-Plans-to-Cut-NJ-Transit-Subsidy/6340301

New Jersey Governor Christie Plans to Cut New Jersey Transit Subsidy

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie plans to cut the state subsidy for NJ Transit.

The governor said the state can no longer continue to subsidize the agency "to the extent it does.''

Christie made the announcement Thursday when he told a joint session of the Legislature that he had signed an executive order to freeze $1.6 billion in unspent money. Christie said he was taking that step to cut the state's $2.2 billion budget hole.

It's not immediately clear whether that will mean higher fares for rail and bus passengers.

Christie called on NJ Transit to improve its operating efficiency and effectiveness, revisit its "rich union contracts'' and end "the patronage hiring that has typified its past.''

Messages left for NJ Transit officials were not immediately returned.

"Rich union contracts?" Last time I checked, NJT employees were paid the least of any rail employees in the Tri-State area. I can't imagine those working for buses doing any better.

If they try the same stuff in New Jersey that they pulled on us, they might be looking at a prolonged strike. Unlike with the TA, NJT doesn't have any type of a Taylor Law provision.

I second that! A few days of strike might slap some sense into this idiot. You can't just go after public transportation vs lowering state spending on heating and cooling buildings, elected official's salaries and expense accounts etc. Practice what you preach you dim witted stooge.

- A

I'm getting the impression that the new equipment(new buses) are not as reliable as we had anticipated. Did NJ Transit get this contract dirt cheep from NABI? Otherwise NABI would not have suffered a setback recalling new buses for safety reasons. Maybe these buses were put together too quickly.:confused:

I'm getting the impression that the new equipment(new buses) are not as reliable as we had anticipated. Did NJ Transit get this contract dirt cheep from NABI? Otherwise NABI would not have suffered a setback recalling new buses for safety reasons. Maybe these buses were put together too quickly.:confused:

The thing is, they need to finalize a budget, and that budget would have retired many of the remaining flexibles and older RTS and replaced them with NABI, but now who knows. As far as safety, i've ridden the 416 many times and they totally rock. :tup:

Also on order are new electric locos to retire/replace some arrow 3 and older alp-44. Then there is the dual power ALP-45 order which, if these dumbass cuts go though, would be postponed till lardass is out of office. NJT needs new locomotives and EMU, and everything is rolling along in such a way that in 10 years it would surpass (MTA) to have the largest transportation network in the country.

I agree some costs could be cut, like doing some engineering & surveying in-house, and yea the ARC project isn't 100% perfect but its as good as it can be with the financial issues. You cannot cut funding raise fares and reduce service and expect to recover or become more money efficient or have transit pay for more of itself through fares. Plane and simple the answer is to get more people on the trains, not to cut funding and raise fares.

- A

Now NJ can deal with fare hikes and service cuts too. When will the madness stop? Why do politicians hate public transit so much?:confused:

http://www.wcbs880.com/TRENTON--Christie-Plans-to-Cut-NJ-Transit-Subsidy/6340301

New Jersey Governor Christie Plans to Cut New Jersey Transit Subsidy

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie plans to cut the state subsidy for NJ Transit.

The governor said the state can no longer continue to subsidize the agency "to the extent it does.''

Christie made the announcement Thursday when he told a joint session of the Legislature that he had signed an executive order to freeze $1.6 billion in unspent money. Christie said he was taking that step to cut the state's $2.2 billion budget hole.

It's not immediately clear whether that will mean higher fares for rail and bus passengers.

Christie called on NJ Transit to improve its operating efficiency and effectiveness, revisit its "rich union contracts'' and end "the patronage hiring that has typified its past.''

Messages left for NJ Transit officials were not immediately returned.

It's about time someone started cleaning up the mess left behind by Corzine. NJ is broke.

• 3 weeks later...

CC (or as i call him now the large spinning turd) needs to restore this subsidy, you can't just pull the rug out from under a system that has been in place since before the large spinning turd was even in college.

- A

Archived