Should overweight passengers be required to pay for an additional airfare?

Shortline Bus

With almost all of the airlines now losing tons of money and trying to nickle and dime their ways to cut their losses, a question that has become very controversial.

Should Overweight or severely 'obese' sized passengers on airlines be required to pay an extra full fare if their bodies take up two seats?

Or guys you feel it's a form of discrimnation? Here the article of a popular Hollywood Filmmaker who claims he was kicked off his flight as a 'risk' due to his overweight size? Feel free to comment.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/02/14/2010-02-14_director_kevin_smith_too_fat_to_fly_southwest_clerks_writerdirector_tweets_rage_.html

I don't think Al Sharpton can qualify for that, maybe the girl from the movie Precious.

Oh lord, my friend s and I cut ass on her every time we see a poster of the movie somewhere or even on a magazine!

Look at the pic that dave 160 put up, that might be slightly overweight, don't you think?

Yeah... dude in that pic, I consider that to be obese...

keyword is, 'I'...

Others may differ....

my point is that, being overweight is subjective.... it's no definite meaning for it.... and to make a rule based off that concept.....

I don't think Al Sharpton can qualify for that, maybe the girl from the movie Precious.

Only Sharpton's fat head could qualify for that.........

Oh lord, my friend s and I cut ass on her every time we see a poster of the movie somewhere or even on a magazine!

She is enormous. Now she has no excuse to lose to lose the extra 2 persons she is carrying around. She has the money to go to the gym, get a personal trainer, etc. She is a massive person, and I did not feel sorry for her, when asked on a show (might have been Extra, or Access Hollywood), about her being ridiculed for her weight growing up. Besides how does a person who grows up poor, ends up a size that is on a planetary scale........

So what about this guy?

alg_overweight_passenger.jpg

He doesnt appear to be taking up 2 seats but he's taking up the aisle.

Source http://www.nydailynews.com/travel/2009/12/03/2009-12-03_too_fat_to_fly_photo_showing_overweight_passenger_raises_questions_of_airline_sa.html

He creates a hazard, as if the plane needs to be evacuated, people will have a hard time getting around him. It isn't as if the plane was on fire, he could get off fast enough, and the others behind him, would be fried. Last I really think he would deflate that inflatable device that pops out from the side of the plane, when the plane is on fire, and needs to be evacuated.......

Yes, tub-O-lards, tank asses, blubber pusses, fatty fatterton, etc, should pay more, if their rolls roll over into the other seat...........

Yeah... dude in that pic, I consider that to be obese...

keyword is, 'I'...

Others may differ....

my point is that, being overweight is subjective.... it's no definite meaning for it.... and to make a rule based off that concept.....

While you make a good point B35, I would say this is what they basing it. I am not defending the airlines)what most doctors and other in health field guidelines and that based on someone height. For say a woman who 5'1'' in height and weighs 220 pounds that overweight in view of almost all doctors.

If a man that 5 feet 6inches and weighs 450 pounds that no doubt an obese man.

According to recent surveys as much as 55% of current Americans fall into the overweight/close to category their 'weight limit' for their heights so the airlines if they dont watch it can lose tens of millions imo in civil right lawsuits on this policy as well.B)

i think the policy is fair. if they can't fit on on single seat, they need to purchase two. if the plane isn't sold out, they get a refund for the second seat. seems perfectly fair to me. why should other passengers sacrifice their comfort because they are forced to share THEIR seat that they paid for with an obese person? you think it's annoying on the subway when people try to squeeze in next to you on a seat when they clearly can't fit? imagine being trapped like that in an airplane for hours on end. NO THANKS. i'd be pissed. :tdown:

Yes they should. Try sitting next to some tub of lard who can't fit into his seat's own 'area' for eight hours. It isn't fun. They should either have to pay for two seats or go in business or first class, if only for the manner in which they make flying even more of a misery for whoever is next to them.

i think the policy is fair. if they can't fit on on single seat, they need to purchase two. if the plane isn't sold out, they get a refund for the second seat. seems perfectly fair to me. why should other passengers sacrifice their comfort because they are forced to share THEIR seat that they paid for with an obese person? you think it's annoying on the subway when people try to squeeze in next to you on a seat when they clearly can't fit? imagine being trapped like that in an airplane for hours on end. NO THANKS. i'd be pissed. :tdown:

It would be even worse if the big guy sat to your left and to your right was a woman with a loud baby.:confused: That's when a three hour flight becomes six. Hope your iPod has enough power.

Great compromise idea which i agree Popsicle:tup:. I would if i was airline exce offer the plus size passenger a full refund or go on the next non-full flight as well at no extra charge. what ever happened to common sense.

While you make a good point B35, I would say this is what they basing it. I am not defending the airlines)what most doctors and other in health field guidelines and that based on someone height. For say a woman who 5'1'' in height and weighs 220 pounds that overweight in view of almost all doctors.

If a man that 5 feet 6inches and weighs 450 pounds that no doubt an obese man.

According to recent surveys as much as 55% of current Americans fall into the overweight/close to category their 'weight limit' for their heights so the airlines if they dont watch it can lose tens of millions imo in civil right lawsuits on this policy as well.:(

I'm 6 feet tall and 200 pounds. Technically I'm overweight. However, I run on a treadmill three times a week. I can run a mile and a half in 13 minutes. BMI is a flawed way to measure obesity since it doesn't take into account fat to muscle ratio. John Cena would be considered obese, even though he doesn't have an ounce of fat on him.

Archived