Pay Increases Finally Coming....

SpikeMauler

All well and good. But how is the union addressing managements' refusal to grant the raise in the third year? What about the cost of the health care deduction based on 40 hours?

This isn't over by a long shot and I hope the union leadership doesn't sit idly by. The arbitration panel ruled in a certain way and I expect their decision to be followed.

All well and good. But how is the union addressing managements' refusal to grant the raise in the third year? What about the cost of the health care deduction based on 40 hours?

This isn't over by a long shot and I hope the union leadership doesn't sit idly by. The arbitration panel ruled in a certain way and I expect their decision to be followed.

I don't think there's much the Union can do except wait until the MTA has exhausted all it's options for appeal. The Union's been vocal on how it feels about the MTA's foot dragging and polarizing appeals. Unfortunately it's the MTA's legal right to appeal these awards. Just gotta wait till they're done playing games.

I don't think there's much the Union can do except wait until the MTA has exhausted all it's options for appeal. The Union's been vocal on how it feels about the MTA's foot dragging and polarizing appeals. Unfortunately it's the MTA's legal right to appeal these awards. Just gotta wait till they're done playing games.

It was a one-package deal, a single contract award, not separate as (MTA) is trying to portray.. They did go before a judge after the arbitrators award decision, as PERB Arbitration procedure lays out, and he sided with the Arbitrator, and the award..

I'd think (MTA) is most likely arguing the point of PERB 209 4 C. VI

"(vi) the determination of the public arbitration panel shall be final and binding upon the parties for the period prescribed by the panel, but in no event shall such period exceed two years from the termination date of any previous collective bargaining agreement or if there is no previous collective bargaining agreement then for a period not to exceed two years from the date of determination by the panel."

The 2 year limit on tha award length co-incides with the appeal of out 3rd year raises.. Unfortunately, that section is for law enforcement & fire departments. PERB 209 Section 5 deals specifically with the Transit Authority, and reads..

"PERB 209 Sect 5(e) The panel shall have full authority to resolve the matters in dispute before it and issue a determination which shall be final and binding upon the parties, notwithstanding any other provision of this article. Except for the purposes of judicial review, any provision of a determination of the arbitration panel, the implementation of which requires an enactment of law, shall not become binding until the appropriate legislative body enacts such law."

Notice, there is no 2 year limit on awards mentioned.. If a lowly TO can read the difference, I think multimillion dollar legal dept should be able to as well.. If (MTA) doesn't pay our 3rd year raises, TWU should file for breach of contract with PERB and the courts, and add charges selective bias & discriminatory treatment as compared to other entities in contract with the (MTA). They are not pursuing others to forgo contract agreements because off (MTA)s downturn in finances, but expect TWU to shoulder their finacial blunders..

http://www.perb.state.ny.us/

Pay increase coming, and so are the layoffs. Just saw on the news.. Stay tuned...

Not too happy. I was in the next to last class of B/Os and the last two classes combined were less than 50 people. So I have a feeling I will be on the chopping block.. Well, at least I got a CDL license out of it so I can look for another driving job.:P

Pay increase coming, and so are the layoffs. Just saw on the news.. Stay tuned...

Not too happy. I was in the next to last class of B/Os and the last two classes combined were less than 50 people. So I have a feeling I will be on the chopping block.. Well, at least I got a CDL license out of it so I can look for another driving job.:P

Have they broken down from what depots the 600-700 B/O layoffs yet? I heard that pink slips will be given out today for some MTA workers.

You are in MTA Bus right jmazz? TA(only bus division being civil service) is going to get hit hard with B/O layoffs.:cry:

actually TA drivers will not be screwed due to civil service. being that they r civil service is the best thing that keeps them from layoffs. If ur MABSTOA they would be the first to be laid off but honestly if u dont work for MTA dont believe everything u see in the newspapers and news they wont layoff anydrivers. mostly token booth and admin.

actually TA drivers will not be screwed due to civil service. being that they r civil service is the best thing that keeps them from layoffs. If ur MABSTOA they would be the first to be laid off but honestly if u dont work for MTA dont believe everything u see in the newspapers and news they wont layoff anydrivers. mostly token booth and admin.

is that mean OA B/O that will just pass their probation in june will get layoff 1st, instead of the last TA B/O just started in dec?

I am OA. I started the training class Dec.7. Still on probation. I believe TA will be spared b/c they are civil service. And I think OA and MTA Bus will get hit.

It only makes sense bc of the service cuts. They want to kill 4 express lines from my depot. the remaining two will be cut on the weekends. We only have 6 local lines and they want to shorten service on those lines too. I'm in Ulmer Park which is a high seniority, mostly TA depot. So I think I am going to get screwed. I only have 3 or 4 people under me.

Actually, even civil service can be laid off.The protection they get from civil service is that once laid off, they are the first to be called back into service before the company can hire new people. Now here's the strange thing, I hear that OA/MTA Bus employees still receive civil service protection even though they don't have civil service status.

jmazz77: There are several TA Bus routes on the chopping block as well. If these service cuts go through B/O's from all of the divisions will be affected.
I'm over here thinking Operators from Queens and Staten Island TA would be speared being that they are a different bargining Union because you always hear TWU being mentioned being that they represent the vast majority of the work force

Archived