Difference between an R32 and an R38

Maddog

The R38s weren't the ones with different number boards, they were just the cars which never received new ones! Everything R1-R42 had those number boards, with the exception of the R32s which had smaller blue ones with a different, but similar font. The R44 came with stainless steel plates of a much different font. While the mainline R44s lost these prior to GOH, the SIR cars kept them until about a year ago. The R46s were the first cars with the "Modern" plates, although all of them were replaced in 1995 or so when the cars were renumbered and mated into 4 car sets.

(By the same plates, I am referring to the same font. The R1-9s had white on dark green, the R10/12/14s had orange on gray, and the R11s had black on stainless.) For some reason, many of the IRT "redbirds" lost their numberboards, and had them replaced by blank boards, onto which number stickers of the same old font were added. I have no clue why they did this.

Wow, that interior makes me miss those cars even more.

But on a side note, the R32 Phase 1s has the GE propulsion IIRC, while the R32 Phase 2s had Westinghouse propulsion. Correct me if I'm wrong, although I don't know if I'm confusing the propulsion with the motors.

No, Phase I's and Phase II's have westinghouse propulsion, Phase I's have GE Motors with Westinghouse propulsion, Phase II's Are Just Westinghouse.

Also The R38's or Mix Propulsion and Motors, The R38's got SMS in 2001 when the R26's/28's were being reefed, some of their Motors have their parts in the R38's.

Wow, that interior makes me miss those cars even more.

I agree. If you look closely, you'll notice that the interior colors are exactly the same, but just a simple difference in floor color makes the cars look so much less drab. I've only been on the R38s a couple of times but when I got my last ride in I noticed the different interior, and loved it.

I agree. If you look closely, you'll notice that the interior colors are exactly the same, but just a simple difference in floor color makes the cars look so much less drab. I've only been on the R38s a couple of times but when I got my last ride in I noticed the different interior, and loved it.

You can say that again.

The R38s weren't the ones with different number boards, they were just the cars which never received new ones! Everything R1-R42 had those number boards, with the exception of the R32s which had smaller blue ones with a different, but similar font. The R44 came with stainless steel plates of a much different font. While the mainline R44s lost these prior to GOH, the SIR cars kept them until about a year ago. The R46s were the first cars with the "Modern" plates, although all of them were replaced in 1995 or so when the cars were renumbered and mated into 4 car sets.

(By the same plates, I am referring to the same font. The R1-9s had white on dark green, the R10/12/14s had orange on gray, and the R11s had black on stainless.) For some reason, many of the IRT "redbirds" lost their numberboards, and had them replaced by blank boards, onto which number stickers of the same old font were added. I have no clue why they did this.

Ok thanks for the info

...there's a R68 that has that font on 1 side of the car and its 2755

Are there many R32s remaining in service? I'm going to make catching some a priority when I'm in town in March.

Any hints which lines they predominately serve? (E) and (F) perhaps? I'll be staying near Sutphin Ave. near those lines so I'll be riding those trains a lot. Thanks in advance!

Are there many R32s remaining in service? I'm going to make catching some a priority when I'm in town in March.

Any hints which lines they predominately serve? (E) and (F) perhaps? I'll be staying near Sutphin Ave. near those lines so I'll be riding those trains a lot. Thanks in advance!

(;) OR (Q)- one set in total

(E)(F)- 0 sets

(R) and (V)- three sets total

(A)-three sets total

(C)-100% R32s!

They will be around for another 4 or 5 years due to recent developments so don't worry.

Helpful stuff! Thanks guys!

How about the R40 Slants? Do they frequent the (C) also?

(I'm planning on shooting the (1) around 125th Street, so I figure I can cruise up to 168th to shoot the (C).

The R40 Slants frequent the SEA line, not the (C) line ;):o

While the R/V reliably have two sets between them, the A line has no precise amount of R32s assigned. It can range from none up to 6, depending on availability of the R32 R44 and R46 fleets.

Interesting...the (A) would most likely use those R32s when it is running all local by itself on weekends. The most I've ever seen though are three, however.

• 8 years later...
12 minutes ago, Q Broadway Express said:

In his book, New York Subways An Illustrated History Of New York City's Transit Cars, Mr Gene Sansone explains the differences between the R32 Brightliners and the R38s.

This thread is very old.

• Lance locked this topic

Archived