Metro-North to process credit, debit card ticket sales on trains

Trainspotter

Metro-North to process credit, debit card ticket sales on trains

NEW YORK - Metro-North Railroad says it will start using hand-held electronic ticket machines for on-board sales. The wireless ticket machines will replace the hole-punched tickets currently sold aboard commuter trains.

The wireless devices will also have real-time credit authorization, allowing conductors to accept credit and debit cards for the first time, as well as cash. On April 1, about 500 conductors will begin using the electronic ticket-sales device.

The Metro-North committee of the M-T-A's board of directors approved a one-year, $420,000 contract with Verizon Wireless on Monday.

I ride the Metro-North New Haven line about once or twice a week, to go from the Bronx to Westchester (Mount Vernon or New Rochelle).

I don't see why they can't accept MetroCards there. Just install a farebox on the side of the train, swipe your card, and it will deduct the proper fare, based on your destination, and print a small receipt with your destination station written on it as proof of payment.

I ride the Metro-North New Haven line about once or twice a week, to go from the Bronx to Westchester (Mount Vernon or New Rochelle).

I don't see why they can't accept MetroCards there. Just install a farebox on the side of the train, swipe your card, and it will deduct the proper fare, based on your destination, and print a small receipt with your destination station written on it as proof of payment.

Well, the TVM do have a little something that allows you to enter your MetroCard into it when you put to pay with your MetroCard if you have money on it.

I've done that a few times to buy a City Ticket and then just put in the balance of $1 dollar if I only had 2 bucks on the card. Can do that to buy any ticket I believe.

• 2 months later...
Well, the TVM do have a little something that allows you to enter your MetroCard into it when you put to pay with your MetroCard if you have money on it.

I've done that a few times to buy a City Ticket and then just put in the balance of $1 dollar if I only had 2 bucks on the card. Can do that to buy any ticket I believe.

They do? I'll have to check that out next time I go up there.

Archived