Spring Trainning 2010 Pre Season MLB News

Shortline Bus

Feel free guys to talk anything about baseball as the 2010 MLB season will soon start with the Defending Champion Yankees regular season opening on Easter Sunday vs the Red Sox on ESPN. Also, love to hear any comments from Yankee, Mets, Red Sox, Phillie and other fans as well on any pre-season trades, cuts and other developments with your favorite club.

Are the Yankees 'favorites' to repeat? Or Did the Phils, Mariners, Red Sox and others narrow the gap and could become 2010 WS champions?

I begin with this news link. Long time Mets Owner Fred Wilpon put to bed rumors that his family would sell the team. Wilpon made a plea that the Mets remain in family ownership with Son Jeff for many years to come.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2010/02/21/2010-02-21_untitled__m21s.html

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johnny Damon signed with the Tigers. I wish he stayed with the Yankees, but they decided to be frugal and not give him the money he deserves.

Being fair would you not in recent years past, Mr. Wilson screamed at The Yanks for re signing 'older players' like Mr. Damon in his late 30's age wise? Sure its shame that Damon who had a great playoffs and world series is gone but its a business.

They got a borderline all star replacement in CF in Mr. Granderson who about 8-10 years younger than Johnny Damon?

Every little thing he complains about: 'Jeter as a has been', 'Sabathia as overpaid', 'ARod done = Yankees season is done {while this is just April}' etc. from last year.

As for the Damon signing, very odd they dumped Granderson to trim payroll to then overpay Damon. Then again he's a one year rental till Austin Jackson is ready for the majors. And Boras has a good relationship with the Tigers' owner.

Every little thing he complains about: 'Jeter as a has been', 'Sabathia as overpaid', 'ARod done = Yankees season is done {while this is just April}' etc. from last year.

As for the Damon signing, very odd they dumped Granderson to trim payroll to then overpay Damon. Then again he's a one year rental till Austin Jackson is ready for the majors. And Boras has a good relationship with the Tigers' owner.

I hear this Jackson kid with the Tigers if he stays healthy and stays to poential could be the next superstar in MLB. Plus, Damon could be an excellent mentor to him as well.

Speaking of rookies maybe one of the most pressured young pitching prospects in MLB history, the Washington Nationals Stephen Strasburg is on the hot seat signing the highest paid contract ever for player drafted out of high school and the most hyped HS graduate to join a major league since Lebaron James. Strasburg is expected to be on the MLB team as early mid season in June or September call up's. If Strasburg does not live up to the hype and disappoints, this will set back the Washington club many years.

The media attention of Strasburg has been good for the Nats as tickets sales are the highest since the opening of the Nats Ballpark in 2007. We shall see.:confused:

I think Strasburg is gonna start in AAA Columbus, but one of their starters is gonna get hurt, and he's gonna have to bridge the gap.

Another Nationals question, with the acquisition of Matt Capps, did the Nationals bullpen improve at all?

It can't get worse than last season for the Nats the worst season in their Washington/Montreal history lol.:confused:

I just wonder how Wang will hold up in DC? I mean he'll have to bat being in the NL and running the bases is how he got injured in the first place.

If Wang is healthy that is a great pick up by the Nats imo. The Mets dropped the ball and not signing Wang or getting someone like Washburn, etc. but i admit this winter class of available 'good' pitching free agents was the weakest in years in baseball.

As for Wang and the Nats even on a team that will stuggle offensive he can win 10-12 games at least again if he stays healthy. Washington could finish ahead of the Mets in the division if things goes well for them.

I think besides the favorite Phillies(some sports writers and media members are picking to win the 2010 world series), the Braves in the National League will have a bounce back year and challenge for a playoff spot.

As things stands right now, I won't be surprised it's Yankees-Phillies again. But since they traded Cliff Lee for Halladay [who the Yanks have had some success against], I think the result will pretty much be the same.

Not being that overly optimistic, but I do like the Yankees' chances than the Phillies. Though the Angels have always been a threat, this year I do have to worry about the Mariners for having two lefty aces. They would be a big threat. Boston even upgraded themselves with a vet like Lackey.

Well said Concourse. Besides Phillies-Yanks it also be Yanks-Rockies as well.

The only team right now as Spring Training begins i could see from the AL going to world series besides the Yankees is the Mariners. Lee and "king" Felix could be a mean 1-2 top of roatation starters.

In NL, the Dodgers have taken the biggest fall imo from last year's playoff teams and could fall to 3rd or even last place in NL as the Rockies and Giants have improved. Not to mention the Dodgers could soon be up for sale as the current owners the McCords are in middle of nasty divorce.

Well said Concourse. Besides Phillies-Yanks it also be Yanks-Rockies as well.

The only team right now as Spring Training begins i could see from the AL going to world series besides the Yankees is the Mariners. Lee and "king" Felix could be a mean 1-2 top of roatation starters.

In NL, the Dodgers have taken the biggest fall imo from last year's playoff teams and could fall to 3rd or even last place in NL as the Rockies and Giants have improved. Not to mention the Dodgers could soon be up for sale as the current owners the McCords are in middle of nasty divorce.

Dodgers, yeah they've taken a few hits. I think the Giants can be good, but not sure by how much.

Some small changes:

* Godzilla is a Los Angeles Angel;

* Chiien Mien-Wang is a Washington Senator;

* Johnny D is a Detroit Tiger;

* Melky is an Atlanta Brave;

* Super Mo is forty, but still looks good.

* Andy is back and has a chance to contribute and add to his 229 career wins.

* Nick Johnson and Javier Vasquez are back;

* Curtis Granderson is a new Yankee.

We should enjoy the core four (Andy, The Captain, Super Mo and Jorge) while we can.

Wednesday March 3d Yankees vs. the Pirates :)

EE Local it's true as 2010 will soon begin the days of a player playing his entire carrer with the same team is few and hard to find. Especially the core of Jeter, Rivera and Posada.

Off topic. I read somewhere that the Mets and Marlins will play a regular season 3-game series in mid June in San Juan as Puerto Rico hopes to land an expansion MLB team if and when Bud Selig and his crew decises to do so.

In 2003 and '04, the former Expos played about 20 games also in San Juan before moving to Washington.

Hopefully Flushing's fortunes will get better in 2010! I can see Wright hit 32 HRs this year.

I sure hope so. Every Mets fan should erase everything that happened last season. Last seasons home run totals were awful. Shortening the center field fence should help a bit as the addition of Jason Bay.

Did you know this about Wright?

"In May 2007, Vitamin Water was sold to the Coca-Cola Corporation for $4.1 billion. As part of his endorsement deal, Wright was given 0.5% of the company, and thus netted approximately $20 million from the deal."

Well, if MLB adds just two more teams to total thirty-two they could then have a sixteen team American League and National League and realign into four-four team divisions.
Well that is true, but you have teams like the A's and the Marlins that are struggling to get a fanbase and you have teams like the Pirates and the Nats that are pretty terrible.

I would say that maybe Jersey could be a better fit for one of those teams to move to.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but..... Go Sox!

Don't worry, I'm a Phillie fan!

Does anyone notice how both of the New York teams championships came against the other New York team's rival? The Yankees beat the Phillies last year, and the Phils are the Mets rival. The Mets beat the Red Sox in 1986 and the Sox are the Yankees rival.

Feliz's defense (despite him making a few critical errors) will be missed, but hopefully Polanco will give the Phils some more offense. I hope Lidge and Hamels have a comeback year. Halladay-Hamels-Happ sounds like a slammin top 3 of the rotation.

Archived