Spring Trainning 2010 Pre Season MLB News

Shortline Bus

Well that is true, but you have teams like the A's and the Marlins that are struggling to get a fanbase and you have teams like the Pirates and the Nats that are pretty terrible.

I would say that maybe Jersey could be a better fit for one of those teams to move to.

Concourse. The '3' struggling teams you mentioned to possibly move you can take off the list for at least 20 years or more. The Nats have a 30-year contract with DC to stay at their new ballpark that just opened couple of years ago.

The Marlins will be opening a new ballpark in Downtown Miami 's "Little Havana" Neighborhood at the former Orange Bowl football stadium in April 2012. And Pirates despite being the worst club in MLB for last 15 years or so, have 20 years left on staying at their Pittsburgh stadium which only opened around 10 years ago in 2000. Plus MLB would have to pay Pittsburgh $100 Million penalty if the Pirates left town before around 2020/2021 season at earliest.

Thus the A's are the only MLB team right now that maybe 'semi available' if another city wants them. However i read on MLB.COM that both Bud Selig, the current Mayor of Oakland, Ca. and Bay Area business leaders are close to agreement in bulid a new proposed Downtown Ballpark near the San Francisco Bay Bridge and the Bart station.

The A's had oringally planned to move to nearby San Jose, Ca.(nearby town of Fremont)but the deal went dead mainly due to the current recession.

So if any city in North America or maybe beyond, wants a MLB team, expansion is probably the only option right now.

:confused:

If Baseball does expand again, I think places in US like Charlotte, Las Vegas, Portland, Org and San Antanio(my personal choices) and Monterray, Mexico, and San Juan, Puerto, Rico being the possible cities. With '3' teams already near NJ, I doubt MLB will ever put a team in New Jersey.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Las Vegas will never have a professional sports team (not counting the XFL calamity). There's too much of a conflict of interest. Charlotte would be perfect for an AL team (though they would have to be in the AL Central since the rivalries in the AL East are established). I doubt that Texas will get another team. New Orleans would be an excellent city for an NL team. That team would be rivals with the Astros.

Don't worry, I'm a Phillie fan!

Does anyone notice how both of the New York teams championships came against the other New York team's rival? The Yankees beat the Phillies last year, and the Phils are the Mets rival. The Mets beat the Red Sox in 1986 and the Sox are the Yankees rival.

Feliz's defense (despite him making a few critical errors) will be missed, but hopefully Polanco will give the Phils some more offense. I hope Lidge and Hamels have a comeback year. Halladay-Hamels-Happ sounds like a slammin top 3 of the rotation.

The Phillies overachieved last season. They were flat as a pancake in the World Series last year against the Yankees.

The 1983 Phillies were a far superior team then the team that is today. Schmidt, Morgan, Rose, Silent Steve Carlton..

The Phillies overachieved last season. They were flat as a pancake in the World Series last year against the Yankees.

The 1983 Phillies were a far superior team then the team that is today. Schmidt, Morgan, Rose, Silent Steve Carlton..

That not a 'fair comprasion' Locomotion imo. The 1983 Phillies team would end up having '4' Hall of Famers(aside from Rose' suspension/legal problems)at same time that went to World Series and lost to Cal Ripken's Orioles. Plus Morgan was at the end of his great career as well and 1983 was his last 'good and productive' season.

Locomotion it's like comparing in the NFL to the 1978/79 Pittsburgh Steelers which had tons of HOF's versus the new super bowl champion New Orleans Saints.

In this era of expansion and bad teams, there more water down players than ever that 30 years would not be in MLB, NFL, NBA or the NHL.

With that said, I like the current Phillies(I am not a fan of them but talking from a Fantasy League view lol;))

IMO i think Howard will be the best player from this era of Phillies team looking back 20 years from now.

FYI. Anyone here into or plays "Fantasy" Baseball?

Guess what? The 1983 Phillies went on to lose the World Series to the O R I O L E S....4-1. I would give the Phillies more respect if they would have beaten the Yankees last year in the World Series. They are tops in the N.L and nothing more then that.

Ryan Howard has a 279 lifetime B.A., strikes out about 200 times a season. How many more seasons will it take for Howard to reach Mike Schmidt 548 HR totals? needs 326 HR's..7 or 8 seasons? Howard will be 31 at the end of this baseball season.

Guess what? The 1983 Phillies went on to lose the World Series to the O R I O L E S....4-1. I would give the Phillies more respect if they would have beaten the Yankees last year in the World Series. They are tops in the N.L and nothing more then that.

Ryan Howard has a 279 lifetime B.A., strikes out about 200 times a season. How many more seasons will it take for Howard to reach Mike Schmidt 548 HR totals? needs 326 HR's..7 or 8 seasons? Howard will be 31 at the end of this baseball season.

Even the 2009 Champion Yankees is not the best team in comprasion to other teams. The '83 Phillies imo would have beaten last years Yankees. There are so many bad teams in MLB right now. However in the 70's/'80's there was so many good teams in MLB with there was only 24-26 teams.

I never said Ryan Howard would pass Schmidt team HR record as Micheal Jack lol is maybe the best 3rd basemen of all time. My point was IMO Howard will be the best overall of these good Phillies teams of last 4-5 years.

Well that is true, but you have teams like the A's and the Marlins that are struggling to get a fanbase and you have teams like the Pirates and the Nats that are pretty terrible.

I would say that maybe Jersey could be a better fit for one of those teams to move to.

The Pirates, Reds, Orioles and Royals are sad, indeed. The Pirates started going bad right after the 1979 World Series, had a brief return in 1990-1992 then stopped winning

I've been a very optimistic Mets fan. However, I can't see them competing with the Phillies (or the Phucking Phils, as I call them). The Braves, yeah, but the Phils have, like, the best pitcher, and some of the toughest players. There were so many times in the season that the Mets were winning, but the Phils came back to win. It kinda gets annoying when they do that. Only Pedro Feliciano can stop the big three (Utley, Howard, and Ibañez), but that's the only good weapon the Mets have against the Phils.

Looking forward for Opening Day for the Yankees when they go against the Red Sox at Fenway Park stepping into there ballpark as defending champions. The Red Sox did the same to the Yankees back in 2005 on Opening Day at Yankees Stadium when they stepped in there ballpark as defneding champions. Quest For 28!!!! LET'S GO YANKEES!!!:tup:

There were so many times in the season that the Mets were winning, but the Phils came back to win. It kinda gets annoying when they do that.

If that is annoying, then what did you call the unassisted triple play?

FYI, the Phillies made history at Shea Stadium when it first opened too. Back on June 17, 1964, Jim Bunning pitched a perfect game.

This season will feature a new ball park as the Twins move outdoors for the first time since the 1980 season.

Their new Target Field in Downtown Minneapolis will seat 39,504 fans and the gates, except for one, are numbered in tribute to former Twins players:

*Plaza Gate - Gate #3 for Mr. Harmon Killebrew

*Left Field Gate - Gate #6 for Mr. Tony Oliva

*Home Plate Gate - Gate #14 for Mr. Kent Hrbek

*Right Field Gate - Gate #29 for Mr. Rod Carew

*Center Field Gate - Gate #34 for Mr. Kirby Puckett

*Gate #42 for Mr. Jackie Robinson.

This will also be the next to final season for the Florida Marlins who will become the Miami Marlins in 2012.

FYI, the Phillies made history at Shea Stadium when it first opened too. Back on June 17, 1964, Jim Bunning pitched a perfect game.

Last year Mariano Rivera got his 500th save and an rbi for being walked by the opposing closer, K-Rod, with the bases loaded.

This season will feature a new ball park as the Twins move outdoors for the first time since the 1980 season.

Their new Target Field in Downtown Minneapolis will seat 39,504 fans and the gates, except for one, are numbered in tribute to former Twins players:

*Plaza Gate - Gate #3 for Mr. Harmon Killebrew

*Left Field Gate - Gate #6 for Mr. Tony Oliva

*Home Plate Gate - Gate #14 for Mr. Kent Hrbek

*Right Field Gate - Gate #29 for Mr. Rod Carew

*Center Field Gate - Gate #34 for Mr. Kirby Puckett

*Gate #42 for Mr. Jackie Robinson.

This will also be the next to final season for the Florida Marlins who will become the Miami Marlins in 2012.

I don't understand why a cold weather city would go from a dome to a conventional field. Heaven forbid if the Twins make the World Series and play a home game in late October or November.

I don't understand why a cold weather city would go from a dome to a conventional field. Heaven forbid if the Twins make the World Series and play a home game in late October or November.

Agreed. The Twins in Minneapolis and The Rockies in Denver both should have rectracable roofs ballparks. Being fair Denver(i been to)and Minnespolis(i have not been to yet)are supposed to 'beautiful' in summer and does not get 'oven hot' like in the Northeast and Chicago areas.

Back when the Twins played at old Metropolitan Stadium (1961-1980), their success came in a different era: in 1965 the World Series was still entirely day games and 1969 and 1970 they were in the A.L.C.S. and, yes, no series ran as late as last season's postseason schedule did.

Target Field is scheduled to debut on April 12th when the Twins host the Red Sox.

It seems like baseball is moving away from the Dome era and is getting smaller parks.

I call it the second worst day of my life, right after Luis Castillo dropping the ball against the Yanks.

I actually wanted the Phils to win the Series so that the Yankee fans I know would stop teasing me.

I call it the second worst day of my life, right after Luis Castillo dropping the ball against the Yanks.

I actually wanted the Phils to win the Series so that the Yankee fans I know would stop teasing me.

Same here man, the Phillies let us Mets fans down. I root root for any team that plays against the Yankees no matter what.

The Mets brought it all on themselves, if anything they should fire their entire medical staff and hire the Yankees's med staff as consultants.

And what about 86? It was the Mets and Boston. I hate Boston more than the Mets. If I remembered the 86 series I sure would've rooted for the Mets over Boston.

You know what OMAR stands for right? Outside (M)edical (A)ssistance ®equired.

The day the Mets finally fire Minaya this season will be a day of celebration amongst Mets fans.

Archived