What Will Happen to Viking if MTA Did Cut X51?

FamousNYLover

It is why MTA cant sell these buses to the ta's or even to coach or private ops. MTA only chance is to sell it to a scrap dealer once they run the Vikings to death since they have very rare low mileage at this age (around 80K miles).

Eighty thousand miles is a shockingly low figure for kit which appears to be suitable for longer distance use. What normally happens with oddballs like them is that some small outfit will pick them up cheap (as no-one else is interested) and use them on not too onerous duties, where there is a lot of down time for them to be 'mollycoddled'.

80k + plus what I would assume is a good maintenance regime means they're way too good for scrap.

Agreed, but it is also a shame they are wasted on just the X51. Perhaps maybe CP or LGA can find a use for them, since they are part of the MTA umbrella?

Why waste more money on that suggestion?

Just let the Vikings run it to death at CS

For god shakes, follow the thread from the beginning. What transit agency would want to buy these used and very rare plus limited parts to maintain these oddball buses? Thank the MCI, Prevost, Van Hool, even Neoplan kill New Flyer's attempt in the OTR coach bus market.

Stop think like a busfan that the transit agency have a will to use these buses. They dont take the risk like that. It is why MTA cant sell these buses to the ta's or even to coach or private ops. MTA only chance is to sell it to a scrap dealer once they run the Vikings to death since they have very rare low mileage at this age (around 80K miles). Houston wont even have all three MTA buses, they are starting to retired their Viking fleet.

Thankyou, that was the best answer to this thread.

I don't know much about these buses, but they look like a poor man's copy of an MCI D4500. Kind of reminds me of the buses that Neoplan used to build for companies like Denver's RTD...I believe it was called a "Metroliner".

But you can run those buses to their deaths faster at CP on a more packed express bus line than a near empty one like the X51. Why give them a slow death?

They are WASTED on the X51. Even O5s are more than enough for that line.

It will be wasted when you train the B/Os, mechanics out of CP to use the Vikings. Plus needs adjustments (ie, lifts, wash, etc) at the depot.

BTW, when is the last time that the Vikings have a major overhaul? Never, still the original paint scheme.

They are gonna died sooner since MTA really wanted the oddballs off the roster. 1 did go to storage, waiting for the 2 to put to sleep.

On what express route? Both the X32 and the X51 are being slated for elimination.

MTA is buffering. Look at the past service cuts. Some will cut, others probably not. They will probably reduced the service hours.

BTW, when is the last time that the Vikings have a major overhaul? Never, still the original paint scheme.

A bus with 80,000 miles on it as you suggest is nowhere near needing an 'overhaul'. Ten time that? Maybe, and only if they haven't been looked after.

A bus with 80,000 miles on it as you suggest is nowhere near needing an 'overhaul'. Ten time that? Maybe, and only if they haven't been looked after.

That's my contention with all NYCT express buses, yes the Vikings and the MCI's. Yes, we have some old MCI's from 1997. But really, how much mileage is on them? Sure they are all beat up because they spend most of their service time stuck in rush hour traffic, but still.........The bulk of them are used for a trip in the morning and a trip in the afternoon. So many (look at the schedules for example at UP), are used for an AM trip and aren't even needed in the afternoon.

You have charter outfits, Greyhound & Peter Pan too for example, that can get more than a years worth of NYCT MCI mileage in just a month. And their MCI's are just as old if not older.

I have a problem with this........NYCT maintance of MCI's SUCK big time.

Eighty thousand miles is a shockingly low figure for kit which appears to be suitable for longer distance use. What normally happens with oddballs like them is that some small outfit will pick them up cheap (as no-one else is interested) and use them on not too onerous duties, where there is a lot of down time for them to be 'mollycoddled'.

80k + plus what I would assume is a good maintenance regime means they're way too good for scrap.

Not just good maintenance because of the fleet size,because they only run one route which isn`t enought to build up six-figure mileage numbers.

It will be wasted when you train the B/Os, mechanics out of CP to use the Vikings. Plus needs adjustments (ie, lifts, wash, etc) at the depot.

They are gonna died sooner since MTA really wanted the oddballs off the roster. 1 did go to storage, waiting for the 2 to put to sleep.

MTA is buffering. Look at the past service cuts. Some will cut, others probably not. They will probably reduced the service hours.

Ok, good point there [about the training].

If they cut the X51, but keep the X32, I don't see why they would run the Viking on the X32. I still think either the Vikings should be moved or CS gets an express route from either CP or LGA. The unions should collaborate on trading lines b/w NYCT and MTA Bus. This separation is ridiculous.

Ok, good point there [about the training].

If they cut the X51, but keep the X32, I don't see why they would run the Viking on the X32. I still think either the Vikings should be moved or CS gets an express route from either CP or LGA. The unions should collaborate on trading lines b/w NYCT and MTA Bus. This separation is ridiculous.

It has been mention before...

VIKINGS can NOT run on the x32 route because Bronx River Parkway clearance restrictions

It has been mention before...

VIKINGS can NOT run on the x32 route because Bronx River Parkway clearance restrictions

Are the Vikings taller than the MC-8's? Because those on Liberty Lines ran on the parkway. (I imagine they probably are taller than those old coaches. Like I know the Prevost H's are too tall to clear the ceiling lights in some bays in Port Authority. Are the Vikings as tall as those?)

Are the Vikings taller than the MC-8's? Because those on Liberty Lines ran on the parkway. (I imagine they probably are taller than those old coaches. Like I know the Prevost H's are too tall to clear the ceiling lights in some bays in Port Authority. Are the Vikings as tall as those?)

Overall height:

New Flyer Viking is at 12 feet and 1 inches

Prevost H series is at 12 feet and 2 inches

MCI D4500 is 11 feet and 5 inches

MCI MC8 is 10 feet and 10 inches

Archived