Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trainspotter

MTA officials say granite and porcelain for station floors are budget busters

Forget the glitz.

Transit officials looking to save money may swap plans for fancy granite subway and train station floor tiles for a more economical - and drab - concrete.

The potential savings are significant and the issue is generating strong opinions.

"For me, this is a no-brainer," said Metropolitan Transportation Authority board member Barry Feinstein, calling granite a "very expensive amenity."

According to NYC Transit, the MTA's largest division, it costs $1.7 million to install granite flooring in the standard subway station, compared with $421,000 for regular concrete.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gificon_offsite.png - January 30, 2008

I don't know why they were trying to glamorize and waste money to put all that expensive crap into the stations anyway. It looks nice, but people use the subway to get to work, and most people are in the stations for possibly less that 3-5 minutes. MTA is a "business", and should be run as such. Do what is cheap but lasts, and then the real money should be used to improve real issues, like platform extensions, so longer trains can be ran, and to rehab stations (not glamorously though). That work should be done by MTA's own. No contractors this time.

While I think that a nice looking station is good, concrete does the job, but I don't like where this is going. Pretty soon we could see very drab grey cement boxy stations. I know it's just a floor, but it's all that more enjoyable to step on.

The MTA is joke with trying to make that station look nice. Its no need to.

I knew this plan for Fulton Street was going to bite the MTA in the @$$.

I know it's just a floor, but it's all that more enjoyable to step on.

and spit on, urinate on, vomit on, crap on, throw coffee and soda on, and for some, sleep on. The rats would enjoy running across the marble and granite floors also. No offense, but it's a subway, not an entrance to paradise............

The MTA is joke with trying to make that station look nice.

I agree with what you said, until the with part.........

I knew this plan for Fulton Street was going to bite the MTA in the @$$.

I would rather it bit them in the sack, with long needle like fish teeth.

and spit on, urinate on, vomit on, crap on, throw coffee and soda on, and for some, sleep on. The rats would enjoy running across the marble and granite floors also. No offense, but it's a subway, not an entrance to paradise............

True, but I think plain cement is taking it too far, it should at least have tiles on it. I don't expect the subway to be elegant, but I don't want it to be drab. The MTA should really look into more restrooms in stations too...

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gificon_offsite.png - January 30, 2008

the tiles are a waste of money. we don't need to have fancy tiles in subways. It's the subway, not your house or some fancy business place or whatever.

cement will do the job fine. the original subway was built using cement platforms, and they all lasted till today (or at least it looks like that lol)

I don't know why they were trying to glamorize and waste money to put all that expensive crap into the stations anyway. It looks nice, but people use the subway to get to work, and most people are in the stations for possibly less that 3-5 minutes. MTA is a "business", and should be run as such. Do what is cheap but lasts, and then the real money should be used to improve real issues, like platform extensions, so longer trains can be ran, and to rehab stations (not glamorously though). That work should be done by MTA's own. No contractors this time.

Couldn't have said it better.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.