2 Teens killed in collision with Amtrak Acella train in a Philly suburb

Shortline Bus

Two teens were killed early this morning today (2/25/10)when their vechile was hit by a speeding Acela Amtrak train in Delaware County, Pa. in town of Norwood, just outside Philadelphia. No further details including if a snowstorm also occuring at time of accident played a role in the collision. This incident comes days after another set of teens were killed at a railroad track in Fla.

For several hours Amtrak NE Coordior service between Phildelphia and Baltimore/Washington and :septa: R2's Wilmington/Marcus Hook line was suspened.

Here news link.

http://cbs3.com/topstories/norwood.train.accident.2.1519694.html

were there warning and safety devices at crossing?

There are no grade crossings in that part of the Northeast Corridort. They were apparently arguing, but where Acela is operating is definitely not the best place to do it... I was in Wilmington today, but didn't get to Norwood on time when I heard about this incident...

Southbound Acela train 2151:

train_dent.jpg

Here an update on the tragic accidental collasion from news link of CBS-TV KYW3 in phildelphia.

ttp://cbs3.com/topstories/norwood.train.accident.2.1519694.html

2 Interboro High Teens Killed By Train

NORWOOD, Pa. Feb 25, 2010(CBS 3 Phildelphia and AP News Wire Sources) ―

Two teenagers from Interboro High School were struck and killed by a train in Norwood, Delaware County Thursday morning.

Authorities say the accident involving an Amtrak high-speed Acela train happened at about 10:30 a.m. at 501 Welcome Avenue.

Police identified the victims as Gina Gentile and Vanessa Dorwart, both 15-yer-old sophomores at Interboro High.

Interboro School District Superintendent Nancy Hacker says the girls had been in school earlier in the morning, but left at some point.

One witness says he heard the girls yelling, or arguing moments before the accident..

"I heard one of them yelling about something so I came around to check who was yelling and I looked over, they stopped talking, one got on the cell phone. They were both just staring over in my direction and I went into the station and couple minutes later everybody showed up," said eyewitness Bruce Wright.

Students say Vanessa had been very upset about the recent death of her 17-year-old friend Bill Bradley. Bradley died January 19 after being struck by a car while riding his bicycle.

Norwood and Amtrak police are investigating the incident and trying to figure out what drove these students onto a dangerous crossing not meant for pedestrians.

"That's a dangerous place down there and it is a concern for everybody not to be on the tracks," said Norwood Police Chief Mark Delvecchio.

Amtrak officials say service returned to normal after a three hour interruption.

There are no grade crossings in that part of the Northeast Corridort. They were apparently arguing, but where Acela is operating is definitely not the best place to do it... I was in Wilmington today, but didn't get to Norwood on time when I heard about this incident...

Southbound Acela train 2151:

train_dent.jpg

Damn look at that acela`s poor nose:o

Here an update on the tragic accidental collasion from news link of CBS-TV KYW3 in phildelphia.

ttp://cbs3.com/topstories/norwood.train.accident.2.1519694.html

2 Interboro High Teens Killed By Train

NORWOOD, Pa. Feb 25, 2010(CBS 3 Phildelphia and AP News Wire Sources) ―

Two teenagers from Interboro High School were struck and killed by a train in Norwood, Delaware County Thursday morning.

Authorities say the accident involving an Amtrak high-speed Acela train happened at about 10:30 a.m. at 501 Welcome Avenue.

Police identified the victims as Gina Gentile and Vanessa Dorwart, both 15-yer-old sophomores at Interboro High.

Interboro School District Superintendent Nancy Hacker says the girls had been in school earlier in the morning, but left at some point.

One witness says he heard the girls yelling, or arguing moments before the accident..

"I heard one of them yelling about something so I came around to check who was yelling and I looked over, they stopped talking, one got on the cell phone. They were both just staring over in my direction and I went into the station and couple minutes later everybody showed up," said eyewitness Bruce Wright.

Students say Vanessa had been very upset about the recent death of her 17-year-old friend Bill Bradley. Bradley died January 19 after being struck by a car while riding his bicycle.

Norwood and Amtrak police are investigating the incident and trying to figure out what drove these students onto a dangerous crossing not meant for pedestrians.

"That's a dangerous place down there and it is a concern for everybody not to be on the tracks," said Norwood Police Chief Mark Delvecchio.

Amtrak officials say service returned to normal after a three hour interruption.

Sounds like suicide to me....maybe the other girl was trying to help....whatever happened they shouldn't have been down on the tracks

This was a low level extension that lead to the inner tracks, there is no grade level crossing. The area in question was at norwood :septa: station. I believe this was a suicide and the other girl's attempt to save her friend. This is a real tragedy for all involved. I hope the engineer, conductor, the victim's family & friends recover emotionally expediently.

- A

Anyone thats not mentally handicapped should never ever ever ever ever ever ever be on the track EVER. Unless its at the grade crossing and make sure no train is coming. Its common sense folks.

The roadbed is only as dangerous as you make it.

Anyone thats not mentally handicapped should never ever ever ever ever ever ever be on the track EVER. Unless its at the grade crossing and make sure no train is coming. Its common sense folks.

That is actually a lot to be asking for: common sense. Which in this case there was an obvious lack of.

If there were more common sense, there would not be as many suicides by train.

Archived