R142/A Vs. R143 Vs. R160's

R32 3838

Totally agreed ^

There's not even a major diversity b/w just the R143 and the R160s.

Without even getting technical, the differences that passengers would notice are extremely minimal. Sadly this was the idea when the MTA designed these cars and the next order might look just the same too.

Without even getting technical, the differences that passengers would notice are extremely minimal. Sadly this was the idea when the MTA designed these cars and the next order might look just the same too.

If not for the placement of the flag and NYCT logo, I probably would get the two types confused if I was looking at the train from a distance. And even worse, the original idea for the R160 was to be compatible with the R143s and I've heard they aren't - So much for compatibility...

If not for the placement of the flag and NYCT logo, I probably would get the two types confused if I was looking at the train from a distance. And even worse, the original idea for the R160 was to be compatible with the R143s and I've heard they aren't - So much for compatibility...

If that happens the R143s will need to undergo a propulsion repackage since AdTranz propulsion is no longer being made.

Question, what are we going by in this argument? Based on the sound of the propulsion package or the quietness? If thats the case, my favorite is the R160B Siemen's cars. I do like the R143 for aswell, but I like the R142 better than the R142A. The R142A seem to be out of service more often and even though (6) is arguably the most overcrowded line on the IRT (As I ride it everyday), its annoying that many R142A's seem to buckle(or sound like it in some cars) when accelerating, the brakes smell like burnt metal and the brakes at times are screeching louder and longer than any SMEE car I've heard (besides maybe the R40-42 series). Not hating on the R142A, but right now, they aren't my fav in my book.

Other then that, all the NTTs are very dull since there is very little variation between the 3 different classes. After working on Arnines and Low-Vs for a for a few years now, it is hard to appreciate these trains that have no personality. I am just glad I don't have to operate them, since the only well designed controls are on the R142 and even then there not that comfy.

Amen to that. You know what I wanna see is the A/B's or the D's running again.

I'll tell you why these New Technology Trains all suck big time:

• The 142/142A/143 "slides" in inclement weather. You try to make a station stop and the train's anti-lock brakes kick in and severely buck the train. WHO IN THE HELL CREATED THIS SH*T?!?!? Thanks to this, hundreds of train operators have overshot stations due to no fault of their own. Ever notice how T/O's now start braking super early and the trains go much slower when the weather is bad? At least the 160's ironed out this problem with the rain, though you have to be careful during wintry conditions.

• The T handles for Train Operators have caused many to get tendonitis. At least on the 142/142A it's right in the middle so you can use a combination of both hands. With the 143/160, you cannot use your left hand at all, and it can really hurt during express runs. This is the one reason why I don't work the (N) as often as I used to, that run between Canal St and 59 St Brooklyn is a killer for my tendons.

• For the passengers there are fewer seats and the air comfort system is so strong, it feels like the A/C is on all winter. As a passenger, I always have to ride in one of the far end seats or I'll catch a cold.

***These trains are pure sh*t. Pure unadulterated sh*t.***

• The 142/142A/143 "slides" in inclement weather. You try to make a station stop and the train's anti-lock brakes kick in and severely buck the train. WHO IN THE HELL CREATED THIS SH*T?!?!? Thanks to this, hundreds of train operators have overshot stations due to no fault of their own. Ever notice how T/O's start braking super early when the weather is bad? At least the 160's ironed out this problem with the rain, though you have to be careful during wintry conditions.

• The T handles for Train Operators have caused many to get tendonitis. At least on the 142/142A it's right in the middle so you can use a combination of both hands. With the 143/160, you cannot use your left hand at all, and it can really hurt during express runs. This is the one reason why I don't work the (N) as often as I used to, that run between Canal St and 59 St Brooklyn is a killer for my tendons.

• For the passengers there are fewer seats and the air comfort system is so strong, it feels like the A/C is on all winter. As a passenger, I always have to ride in one of the far end seats or I'll get frozen out.

LOL Take it from this man,he knows.I heard the T-stick causes pain in the wrist.As for the HVAC I have to admit the R142`s make too much noise for no reason,at least the Mitsubishi HVAC on the R142A is more quieter while putting out more air.:confused:

• The 142/142A/143 "slides" in inclement weather. You try to make a station stop and the train's anti-lock brakes kick in and severely buck the train. WHO IN THE HELL CREATED THIS SH*T?!?!? Thanks to this, hundreds of train operators have overshot stations due to no fault of their own. Ever notice how T/O's now start braking super early and the trains go much slower when the weather is bad? At least the 160's ironed out this problem with the rain, though you have to be careful during wintry conditions.

• For the passengers there are fewer seats and the air comfort system is so strong, it feels like the A/C is on all winter. As a passenger, I always have to ride in one of the far end seats or I'll catch a cold.

*Bows down*

"I am not worthy, I am not worthy...."

You are dead on. This is why I take the so-called positive "feedback" of NTT "fans" with a grain of salt. The trains are so flawed because the MTA wants to be so contemporary with their transit system yet the amenities for both passengers AND crews are a fail. Sad...very sad, if I must say :mad::mad::mad:!!!!

And my cousin who uses the (F) train to and from work HATES the R160s, and he's not even a railfan! That's why I also don't take (E) riders seriously because they b****ed about 32s on the (E). Not their chances of gettign a seat, or at least a "good", comfortable seat, or even a seat at all with the consist 8713-8722 are far LESS!!!

LOL Take it from this man,he knows.I heard the T-stick causes pain in the wrist.As for the HVAC I have to admit the R142`s make too much noise for no reason,at least the Mitsubishi HVAC on the R142A is more quieter while putting out more air.:confused:

Like Z said, the control on the R143/R160 is all the way to the right. I hope the R179 order is not another PITA like the R160s are. I hope there's proper contour seating comes back. That's what made the Slants flawed; flat seats.

Well I'm not the one to complain about not getting seats. (OK, lies - Only complain when I don't get one on the way home from a track meet) But the A/C is crazy. I don't get what's the deal with the "climate control". All I feel is hot air that gradually becomes and stays cold air, which of course is bad.

What kind of problems is the (MTA) having with them? I haven't heard anything. Does anyone know something specific? I thought they were generally reliable...

When the R142`s came they were plagued with brake and motor problems andI heard the Kawasaki version experienced door problems.Alstoms R160s had bad welds and subequently had to be returned back to Brazil for a fix!!! Long live the R44`s!!!!!:)

When the R142`s came they were plagued with brake and motor problems andI heard the Kawasaki version experienced door problems.Alstoms R160s had bad welds and subequently had to be returned back to Brazil for a fix!!! Long live the R44`s!!!!!:)

I was asking about the R142As... So, what are the issues?

What kind of problems is the (MTA) having with them? I haven't heard anything. Does anyone know something specific? I thought they were generally reliable...

They're bucking broncos, which is why they can't hook up to R142s; they're too fast for them...at least their HVACs aren't as loud as their counterpart R142s.

I havent hear any issues as of late except the bucking,but in the past It had door and brake issues.

One time I saw an R142A (6) train with a door that wouldn't close...it had to be pulled manually into the close position and it locked in.

Archived