R142/A Vs. R143 Vs. R160's

R32 3838

I havent hear any issues as of late except the bucking,but in the past It had door and brake issues.

some R142A's are still having brake issues. I can't go into the city once, and ride the (4)(5)(6) without coming across an R142A with screaching brakes (not the last 3-4 mph before stop, but through the entire deceleration).

some R142A's are still having brake issues. I can't go into the city once, and ride the (4)(5)(6) without coming across an R142A with screaching brakes (not the last 3-4 mph before stop, but through the entire deceleration).

i see some of the 142A's have dead motors now too lol besides those noisy brakes

The R142As definitely buck and seem loud at times. All Seiman's propulsion trains seem louder than Alstom counterparts to my ears. So, the Alstom R160s, whichever they are I like and the Bombardier R142s for me. I just wish the interiors were nicer. In some ways, they are updated R40M/R42s. However, they aren't unlike the M7s, Path PA5s, and other trains built in the last 10 years. The designs are similar on all of them.

The R142As definitely buck and seem loud at times. All Seiman's propulsion trains seem louder than Alstom counterparts to my ears. So, the Alstom R160s, whichever they are I like and the Bombardier R142s for me. I just wish the interiors were nicer. In some ways, they are updated R40M/R42s. However, they aren't unlike the M7s, Path PA5s, and other trains built in the last 10 years. The designs are similar on all of them.

the MTA wants unity within the subway. Pretty soon there will be a day where every single subway train looks the same (black plastic front end, blank sides, purple chairs etc).

At least thats how I see it's going...

the MTA wants unity within the subway. Pretty soon there will be a day where every single subway train looks the same (black plastic front end, blank sides, purple chairs etc).

At least thats how I see it's going...

Havng all the trains look the same helps them lower maintenance cost by having them all have identical,interchangeble parts.nothing to straphangers,but a drag for railfanners who seek variety on the rails.

If they had gotten enough money in the 70s/80s every train would have the same red/orange/yellow seats, blah floors and fake woodpanel/metal walls, with the same boring all metal front ends. The only variety would be that the eastern division would be running 60-foot versions of R44/R46/R68 trains.

i see some of the 142A's have dead motors now too lol besides those noisy brakes

same with the R160A's, especially the lead car motors. they are tempermental, sometimes they'll just shut down for a few stops then turn on again, but no alteration in performance. makes the lead car very quiet if the HVAC's off as well.:)

• 2 years later...

R142A. I'm not a huge fan of the 142s or 143s and I'm really not big on the substantial amount of R160s in the fleet.

I understand your feelings. You perfer the SMEE's than the NTTs. I for one just happen to love almost everything in this city's subway, old or new as it doesn't matter. :)

My favorite NTT is the R160, both Alstom and Kawaski.

The Alstom because it's like the R68. They both were so easy to catch on the (N)

The Kawaski because of the porpulson.

More geared towards the 160s (doesn't matter which one) on this one...

Hmmm lets see why...

Not a big fan of the power/brake handle being in the middle.

The T/Os console on the 142s/As look a bit toyish IMO.

Not a big fan of the IRT, the longer and heavier the train, the more I'd feel like an operator.

Also, 160s look better IMO.

Archived