03-02-10 Rocky Neck Park, East Lyme, CT + P42 Sighting

Fred G

Rocky Neck is a state park/beach in East Lyme, CT. Before the Corridor Project the pedestrian bridge used to be a good vantage point for railfanning but now it's got a tall barricade that blocks the view. I walk to the western end of the park to get photos as the fence ends and the view is better.

04+Amtrak+P42+101+pulling+train+170+at+Rocky+Neck.jpg

Oddity - diesel P42 pulling train 170 eastbound. I don't know why this was going on but I'm glad I caught it.

03+Acela+2032+Rocky+Neck.jpg

Acela!

10+Acela+2030+Rocky+Neck+2.jpg

Acela!

Bonus Acela grade crossing shot at Union Station New London (NLC)

12+Acela+2004+State+St+New+London.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

nice shots

Thanks, Joe

Nice shots Fred. Yesterday 170 had an electric all the way up to New Haven and there they put the P42 on. As far as I know there wasn't a problem with the AEM-7 that was on 170, most likely they needed one in New Haven.

Thanks, Myrtle Local. It makes for a nice surprise photo op when stuff like that happens.

Now those are amazon!! First 1 my fav :cool:!

Thanks, Mark and yeah kinda figured you'd like the Gennie :D

Did you see 175 come through? I saw it in New Rochelle (sorry no pictures) and it had two hhp-8s leading and an amfleet II on the rear.

I didn't stick around that long, no. After this I went to New London and then back to work.

Nice!!

Epic catch with that P42!!

- A

Isthmus be my lucky day.

nice

thanks!

Sorry I ment 171 (was getting ready to run to class).

I got there after 171 went through; sounds like I'd have liked to catch him.

Did you see 171 come through? I saw it in New Rochelle (sorry no pictures) and it had two hhp-8s leading and an amfleet II on the rear.

The 2nd HHP-8 was just a deadhead and the Amfleet II was on there either because they just wanted to send it down to Washington or they simply didn't have enough Amfleet I's to make up 171. It happens occasionally for the trains made up out of Boston.

Excellent work! I love the Acela pics!

Thanks Kris!

Slammin pics! I remember you took snow shots from the same spot as well!

Thanks! Yes, I visit the place off season. Summertime = 7 bucks to park so uhhh, well, you know....

Nice Fred! :tup:

Thanks, Dan.

Very nice amigo.I never get the chance to see an Acela running on street level near RR crossings.

Thanks, there are 8 grade crossings between Niantic and the RI line. I've photographed them but I've got wider lenses now so might be time to re-visit :P

• 3 weeks later...

Archived