Captain Chelsea "Sully" Sullenberger, Hero of US Airways Flight 1549, to retire

Hudson Hero Sullenberger Hangs Up Wings

Posted: 7:55 am PST March 3,2010

Updated: 8:27 am PST March 3,2010

DANVILLE, Calif. -- Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, the Danville native who piloted Flight 1549 during its emergency water landing on the Hudson River in January 2009, announced his retirement from U.S. Airways on Wednesday, according to an airline spokesman.

Fittingly, Flight Attendant Doreen Welsh, who helped guide 150 passengers to safety on the same flight, also announced her retirement on the same day.

"I am extremely proud of Captain Sullenberger and Doreen for their quick thinking and courageous actions on January 15, 2009,” US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker said in a prepared statement. “We will miss them and thank them for all they have given to our customers during their years of service with our airline."

Sullenberger, 59, joined PSA Airways which was later purchased by US Airways in 1980. In addition to his flying duties, he became a member of US Airways' flight operations safety management team in September 2009.

Welsh, 59, joined Allegheny Airlines which was also bought US Airway in 1970 and had 39 years of experience with the airline.

In a prepared statement, Sullenberger said he had been fortunate to follow his passon to fly for more than 30 years.

"I have been fortunate to have followed my passion for most of my life, working in a profession I dearly love, side by side with thousands of wonderful colleagues, including the man flying my final flight with me, Jeff Skiles," Sullenberger said in the statement.

Sullenberger landed the Airbus A320 in the Hudson after a collision with a flock of geese killed power in both engines minutes after takeoff. All 155 people on board were saved, and "Sully" was celebrated as an American hero.

He was heralded by politicians, oversaw the coin flip at the Super Bowl, wrote a book and was honored by his Bay Area hometown in the months following the crash. Through it all, Sullenberger remained humble about his role in averting the disaster.

He returned to his flight duties on Oct. 19, 2009 – piloting a 757 on the same flight route of his crash.

Passengers on the two US Airways flights he piloted that day erupted in cheers when they heard his voice over the plane’s intercom.

"I was overwhelmed when I found out it was him," said Don Lambert, 61, of Fort Mill, S.C., who flew from Charlotte, N.C. to New York's LaGuardia Airport. "You feel like you have the best pilot in the world fixing to fly you to New York."

Sullenberger responded in his own quite manner.

"It's good to be back in New York," Sullenberger said at a LaGuardia news conference that day. "And it's good to be back at work."

Sullenberger did not announcement his retirement plans with his wife and his two daughters.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/22727433/detail.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Best of luck to you Captain Sullenberger.

"Sully" good luck in retirement and 'god's speed.' You a class act, an old school American Hero who after the "miracle' never let his international celebrity status ruin him:cool::). (Check: Reality tv stars and other aspring celebrities please take a page from Capt. Sullenberger on how to be a class act that people will love and respect you:o)

Archived