Pay Raises for Provisional Employees

harryo714

Do provisional employees get the same pay raises as permanent employees?

You receive the same percentage raises. I'll get 2% of whatever I'm making and you'll get 2% of whatever you're making.

what is the top pay for sheet metal workers in mta.also after being a provisional is the job yours or ido u hahe to take a test.

Top pay is around $31 an hour for that line of work after 4 years of permanent service, and you always have to take a test. The job is never officially yours as long as you're in a provisional status, even after ten years.

You will not be looking for "Sheet Metal Worker", but rather the official title of "Structure Maintainer". Mind you there are different grades of Structure Maintainer such as welders, carpenters, masons, etc., so you have to make sure that you're applying for the correct grade before you send in your money to take the exam.

All employment tests are conducted by the City of New York DCAS. Check the link below for listings of available exams. If what you're looking for isn't there, then you'll have to look again at a later date:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/home/home.shtml

Because there are so few provisional employees in the TA workforce to begin with. Generally, provisionals are only used when the TA is facing a manpower shortage with no current open list to draw new hires from.

Okay, well maybe you could fill me in on this...there was a job posting a couple of months ago on the MTA website for sheet metal workers so i applied and got called to take practical test and an oral test i think i did ok but not sure how they judge you. How long do you think it takes for them to call or send my score,and what is the chance of me getting hired and does the MTA really need sheet metal workers? What is the top pay for sheet metal worker?

Damn man i just went on the website and I tried emailing my resume to the email address they have there, but it just won't go through. It comes back saying MAIL DEMON OR ERROR. I sent it the correct way. I don't know what else to do. Is it okay for me to apply again, although i went in for the practical a few days ago? How long have you been a provisional elevator mechanical? What did you start with? And how long did they take to call you after you applied or had an interview? Is there anything you could do to help me get in..lol

Thank you for your time.

why dosen"nt anyone in this entire forum discuss anything about provisional employees so the public could be informed about their status in the work force?

ok i'll talk about provisional workers. there are a ton of them working as station agents and cleaners. and guess what they all recieved pinkslips recently. they have not been given a final date but they have been notified. i was talking to a cleaner the other day and she said some of those provisional workers had 12 years. and now they are on their way out the door, with no civil service protection which means (MTA)does not have to call them back. so there goes the 400 stations dept layoffs that are in the paper. so i hope this informs you a little bit on provisional employees.

ok i'll talk about provisional workers. there are a ton of them working as station agents and cleaners. and guess what they all recieved pinkslips recently. they have not been given a final date but they have been notified. i was talking to a cleaner the other day and she said some of those provisional workers had 12 years. and now they are on their way out the door, with no civil service protection which means (MTA)does not have to call them back. so there goes the 400 stations dept layoffs that are in the paper. so i hope this informs you a little bit on provisional employees.

Something doesn't sound right. Why would someone remain a provisional for 12 years? All he/she had to do was take the test and he/she would have become permanent...unless you're talking about someone working as a Cleaner. I haven't seen a Cleaner test in a very long time.

Something doesn't sound right. Why would someone remain a provisional for 12 years? All he/she had to do was take the test and he/she would have become permanent...unless you're talking about someone working as a Cleaner. I haven't seen a Cleaner test in a very long time.

at one point to become a station agent they had cleaners put in a resume. but a lot of those cleaners where wep workers. they never took a test. and after so many years probably thought they were safe. you know how people get comfortable here. this is what a cleaner with a lot of time told me the other day.

The TA very rarely lays people off. Especially when it comes to a skilled position. If they posted it a job opening for a provisional sheet metal worker it is because they have some spots open and since there isnt a list they will hire provisionally because they cant make you permanent under civil service law without some list or test. I would jump all over that job if they call you.

at one point to become a station agent they had cleaners put in a resume. but a lot of those cleaners where wep workers. they never took a test. and after so many years probably thought they were safe. you know how people get comfortable here. this is what a cleaner with a lot of time told me the other day.

Does the (MTA) still have the WEP program? We had it at my agency, but it was phased out and ultimately replaced with a newer program several years back. We have the same problem here with the newer workers of the modified status: they became comfortable doing what they were doing and felt protected simply because they had an eight-hour day, every day, a steady paycheck and minimally-demanding responsibilities.

FYI: we've lost a number of provisionals at my yard, including a steamfitter with over 12 years with the agency, and was considered to be the best fitter here. A test was never offered during that time, and so he was cut.

Does the (MTA) still have the WEP program? We had it at my agency, but it was phased out and ultimately replaced with a newer program several years back. We have the same problem here with the newer workers of the modified status: they became comfortable doing what they were doing and felt protected simply because they had an eight-hour day, every day, a steady paycheck and minimally-demanding responsibilities.

FYI: we've lost a number of provisionals at my yard, including a steamfitter with over 12 years with the agency, and was considered to be the best fitter here. A test was never offered during that time, and so he was cut.

from my understanding the (MTA) phased it out also because it was costing them too much money. they had to pay the cleaners extra to babysit the wep workers.

yea man i hear you but like i said earlier i took the oral and practical a couple of weeks ago and was wondering whats my chances,and do they need alot of sheetmetal workers.Also what is realy top pay for sheetmetal worker in transit also how long after would they take to reach me or what should i be looking out for a phone call or some mail with a score or number on it can someone in here help me get in lol.

Hey zebo you should be alright if ta posted openings for a skilled position and u passed the practical u are on your way just have to be patient. I myself got in Ta by resume years ago but of course as soon as the civil service test came out I took as passed I am permanent now. I also kept my seniority. I am a Bus maintainer by the way. I also worked for sanitation provisional but I was replaced by someone who took the mechanic test.

Hey zebo you should be alright if ta posted openings for a skilled position and u passed the practical u are on your way just have to be patient. I myself got in Ta by resume years ago but of course as soon as the civil service test came out I took as passed I am permanent now. I also kept my seniority. I am a Bus maintainer by the way. I also worked for sanitation provisional but I was replaced by someone who took the mechanic test.

I don't know how you kept your seniority. That is a direct violation of civil service law. My cousin years ago was a provisional motor instructor with almost 2 years in the title when a group of new promotions came in who scored higher on the test and they were put in front of him on the seniority roster even though he was doing the job for way longer.

Thanks for the info and giving me some hope because i think i did ok on the practical and the oral so i would love to get on or should i say desperate.I guess you are right i just need to be patient and hope for the best. Hey loudiam do you know the max pay for ta sheetmetal workers i know the start at 24 or 25?

If you are hired as a provisional and you take and pass the test for that title and made permanent you keep your seniority right. Also what people dont realize even though ta exams and titles are governed by city civil service laws. Ta is under the umbrella of a quasi state agency and at the end of the day ta can do what they want, such as having people on the job with more than twenty years that are still provisional holding a civil service position, or what about last year they took ten bus maintainer's from my yard and moved them to car inspector titles without them taking either the bus maintainer exam or the car inspector exam.

Hey zebo I know the city has a title sheet metal worker and they make around they top at like $38 and change an hour the last time they gave that exam was in 2004. Ta has a title which is called structure maintainer dont know what letter but with the new increases top pay may bring them to like $32 hourly but that is not exact but in that range.

If you are hired as a provisional and you take and pass the test for that title and made permanent you keep your seniority right. Also what people dont realize even though ta exams and titles are governed by city civil service laws. Ta is under the umbrella of a quasi state agency and at the end of the day ta can do what they want, such as having people on the job with more than twenty years that are still provisional holding a civil service position, or what about last year they took ten bus maintainer's from my yard and moved them to car inspector titles without them taking either the bus maintainer exam or the car inspector exam.

From what I understand, a provisional with 20 years has the same seniority and the same rights, essentially, as a person with 2 years. True seniority is based on the date of hiring from the list. So, if someone were to come in after you as a provisional and you both took a promotional exam, and that person scored higher, had a lower list number and was hired before you, that person would have seniority.

Yes you are correct rutgers you have no seniority rights when you are provisional even if u had twenty years u pick last for jobs and vacation and u are the first to go. Also a provisional can not take a promotional exam only open competitive exams. In my case I took the open competitive exam, passed and made permmanent with no break in service so I have more seniority than the guys who took the same exam because I was already in the system. This was a big issue dcas, the union and ta had to get involved to straighten this out on a few of our picks.

Archived