Idea: The Abandoned LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch

TransitGuy

Hello everyone, I wanted to suggest a route regarding the old LIRR Rockaway Beach branch that was abandoned in the 1960's. Currently the trackway is owned by the city but has been in a state of deterioration and subject to illegal dumping. I was thinking, they should re use the whole portion that is intact for some kind of shuttle or subway route (I know that portions are currently used for the A train but I mean they should re use the Ozone park, Woodhaven stop, etc.). Does anyone have any other ideas for the abandon area?

My idea:

Instead of terminating the V at 71st, I would make the V turn after 63rd and going down the ROW which will create additional stations. Therefore the G can always terminate at 71st and the V can terminate at Rockaway Park. Heres a map of the idea (I was really bored at the time and I used ideas from Straphangers and other boards and just put most of them together).

CopyofSubwayIdeav2-1.jpg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I like the (V) extension to Rockaway Park since it would make those tracks useful again and open up a quicker way to the Rockaways. I drive under those tracks by Yellowstone Blvd often and always hope someday they'll be put to use. Back in '92 a few friends and I ventured along those tracks from Fitchett St down to the LIRR main line at Whitepot Junction and remember what a mess it was along there. Can't imagine what it looks like now

OK, I decided to have a little fun myself:

Woodhaven Blvd would have to be converted to an express station (there are already provisions for this). After Woodhaven, the line would curve south and a portal would be created in the vicinity of Alderton and 64th Rd. From here i'd put stations at:

• Yellowstone Blvd-Fleet St.
  • Metropolitan Ave.
  • Union Turnpike
  • Myrtle Ave.
  • Jamaica Ave.
  • Atlantic Ave.
  • Rockaway Blvd-Liberty Ave.

From then I would say run it full-time to Rockaway Park, and discontinue the (S).

Edit: wouldn't it be music to your ears to hear "This is a Rockaway Park-bound (V) local train. The next stop is Union Turnpike." :)

It would be convenient, but not sure how it would work. Perhaps a long walkway along the tracks on the north side of Liberty Ave.? Can you transfer between the two platforms at Rockaway Blvd. (A) without paying a separate fare?

I say:

Convert Woodhaven Blvd. in to an Express station with a grade starting at around Long Island Expressway. let the tracks make a turn due south-eastward around 62nd Ave., and make the new 63rd Drive station between Booth and Austin Street. and dig up a portal around 64th Road and Alderton St.

Now the stations:

-Yellowstone Blvd.

-Metorpolitain Ave. - (People access Trader Joe's, Staples, Home Depots and More.)

-Union Turnpike. - (People access Stop&Shop, Petland and More.)

-Myrtle Ave.

-Jamaica Ave. - Transfer to (J) Train.

-Atlantic Ave.

-Rockaway Blvd./Liberty Ave. - Transfer to (A) Train.

*follows Rockaway Bound (A) Train route*

@DiffusedMind:

Well, a walkway can be built underneath the tracks, :)!

How original, that's essentially DiffusedMind's idea.

What I'll have is, I'll make use of the LIRR ROW from Sunnyside to the Rockaways. This can free up the QBL. Essentially, it will be a revival of the Super Express in Queens. The line will split into two, with one line following the old Rockaway branch, taking over the Rockaway Park shuttle. The other will head northeast, following the LIE to Little Neck Parkway.

In fact, if a transfer is possible at Rockaway Blvd, I'll have two services from the Super Express into the Rockaways, taking over both branches. The (A) could be sent along Liberty Avenue, extended further beyond Lefferts Blvd. During rush hours, a few (A) trips could service Far Rockaway.

exactly where does that abadoned line from the Rockaways lead too? there are now businesses operating under those tracks and i do not think they would appreciate having trains rumbling above them every few minutes.

No not really, if there will be people complaining, it will be the NIMBYs. The ROW runs on their property, IINM.

It's not an elevated truss, which are loud & rumbly. The trains only stopped running on that specific line because LIRR was teetering on bankruptcy.

Maybe if not full LIRR service, have LIT light rail. :)

- A

Nah. As much as i enjoy using the subway, it can get old, especially with the lower track condition standards for 55 mph. I'd much rather see a light rail that can be transferred to LIRR main line EMU later on.

- A

Nah. As much as i enjoy using the subway, it can get old, especially with the lower track condition standards for 55 mph. I'd much rather see a light rail that can be transferred to LIRR main line EMU later on.

- A

You think LRT never gets old?

No, I'll have it as a subway. It makes more sense that way, especially since it could extend into the Rockaways.

The only logical choices are to make it a "new" branch of the LIRR or a new subway line. Being that there is a better chance of me sprouting wings than the LIRR running an M7 to Ozone Park, making it part of NYCT makes the most sense. Brand new shops, yard facilities, inspection facilities, washes, et al. don't need to be constructed. Current subway signalling is a proven technology (despite what you may think the NYC Subway runs extremely well given its restraints & size). The ability to run and interchange cars/MoW equipment with the rest of the system is also a cost savings.

The only logical choices are to make it a "new" branch of the LIRR or a new subway line. Being that there is a better chance of me sprouting wings than the LIRR running an M7 to Ozone Park, making it part of NYCT makes the most sense. Brand new shops, yard facilities, inspection facilities, washes, et al. don't need to be constructed. Current subway signalling is a proven technology (despite what you may think the NYC Subway runs extremely well given its restraints & size). The ability to run and interchange cars/MoW equipment with the rest of the system is also a cost savings.

Perfectly said.

Although it is once a LIRR line, it would make the most sense as a subway line, as its southern portion is a subway line now. Plus the northern end is close to existing subway lines. In addition, if it gets built, it will be incorporated to the subway fare structure, which is considerably cheaper to the LIRR fare structure, locals will be able to benefit.

Archived