Idea: The Abandoned LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch

TransitGuy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, the major problem is parts of the RoW has been torn down for either buildings or parking.

And the Q53 was technically a Triboro route.

I think that much of the parking and small buildings along the unused wayside have been erected illegally. I venture that guess because just riding the mainline between Woodside and Jamaica you can see numerous locations where it appears that homeowners have encroached on LIRR property.

I think that the lot is there illegally, so that would not be a problem. Hell, non of the building would be a problem because of eminent domain or does that only work when the gov. takes land and gives it to private developers (Atlantic Yards Project).

I think that much of the parking and small buildings along the unused wayside have been erected illegally. I venture that guess because just riding the mainline between Woodside and Jamaica you can see numerous locations where it appears that homeowners have encroached on LIRR property.

Yeah, there are some homeowners who claim that the ROW is part of their property.

Yeah, there are some homeowners who claim that the ROW is part of their property.

NY&ARR has this issue in a few spots where people have constructed elaborate gardens & sitting areas, but since they don't encroach on RR operations, they are left in place. The PR fiasco involved in removing such ornamental additions to the ROW would be great, plus they really do no harm, so i'm sure anything not impeding emergency & maintenance access would be left in place.

- A

This may be more than slightly off topic from the current thread, from what I understand this line being discussed is a dead line. How feasible is it to do a walking tour of it?

Quite feasible, but not for the faint of heart.

- A

This may be more than slightly off topic from the current thread, from what I understand this line being discussed is a dead line. How feasible is it to do a walking tour of it?

It was done by some guys from Subchat a few years ago.

Here is the page from Forgotten New York.

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/Rockaway%20Line/rockline.html

If people want to make this happen, I'm game.

I know the guy who lead that tour. He was only a C/R at the time of the tour.

Ya, i believe that was talked about on an earlier version of the page i just linked to. I think to avoid conflict the topic about it was removed.

- A

To clarify, the rockaway branch is totally unmitigated in terms of plant growth, animal inhabitants, the embankment has parts washed out here and there, and the bridges generally are either gone, or have the minimal structure type design going on. Part of it is a bus lot.

- A

How about this.....run a new subway line from Woodhaven Blvd. station UNDER the old right-of-way to connect at Aquaduct or there-abouts with the A line? There would be no problem with NIMBY's, or removing obstructions since built, and would increase property values for those along the way.

To clarify, the rockaway branch is totally unmitigated in terms of plant growth, animal inhabitants, the embankment has parts washed out here and there, and the bridges generally are either gone, or have the minimal structure type design going on. Part of it is a bus lot.

- A

So what? I'm up for adventure! :cool:

To clarify, the Rockaway branch is totally unmitigated in terms of plant growth, animal inhabitants, the embankment has parts washed out here and there, and the bridges generally are either gone, or have the minimal structure type design going on. Part of it is a bus lot.

- A

As seen from the photo true, this is not true. Since the bridges were made of concrete and some pass over major roads, there are still there. The line is accessible and you can walk on it though one should not venture onto the area near Liberty Ave since there is a TA tower right there.

As seen from the photo true, this is not true. Since the bridges were made of concrete and some pass over major roads, there are still there. The line is accessible and you can walk on it though one should not venture onto the area near Liberty Ave since there is a TA tower right there.

One bridge burned down & was made of wood. The rest are steel or concrete & steel. One of them is just a basic viaduct style bridge with just enough structure to hold 2 tracks, no sides or walls, just an open type construction. The wood bridge that burned down was similar, but made of wood.

- A

I used to gain access in Rego Park right off Alderton Street @ Dartmouth Street, it's a small dead end block. Not sure if it's been fenced up, it's been years since I've gone down the embankment. You could also gain access near the ball field on Fleet Street at the bottom of the hill on Alderton, not sure if that has been fenced up as well.

Archived