Idea: The Abandoned LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch

TransitGuy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One problem... What would be the NB Terminal for the (V)? it can't be 2nd Avenue because it would jam up service on the 6th Avenue line with 5 lines ((:)(D)(F)(M)(V)).

I would say send the (V) down 8 Avenue, and make the (V) a BlueV.png.

I would make the BlueV.png Go from JFK Airport (Rush Hours Far Rockaway), via the abandoned LIRR Rockaway beach branch, then go via QBL, and have Woodhaven Blvd an Express an express stop. I would then send the BlueV.png down 53 Street.

If the (MTA) had enough money, they could make a switch before 7 Av-53 St & make the BlueV.png go via CPW local. the BlueV.png would terminate at 145 Street, and rush hours go to either 168 St or BPB.

If the (MTA) doesn't have enough money, then they could send the BlueV.png down 8 Avenue, then at W 4 Street, switch over to the 6th Avenue line and have it terminate it at 2 Avenue.

Late nights, the BlueV.png would be a shuttle running from Woodhaven blvd (there would be a layup track after the station) to Lefferts Blvd. In that case, they should make a switch from the Lefferts Blvd line onto the abandoned LIRR Rockaway Branch.

Now theres one reason why I wouldn't suggest making this route at all.

The only reason the LIRR rockaway beach branch was closed down in the first place was because ofd Low Ridership.

We also have the Q21 & Q53 limited buses.

Then again, the Q21 & Q53 tend to get Jam-Packed most of the time, So yeah I think it would be a good Idea.

One problem... What would be the NB Terminal for the (V)? it can't be 2nd Avenue because it would jam up service on the 6th Avenue line with 5 lines ((:)(D)(F)(M)(V)).

I would say send the (V) down 8 Avenue, and make the (V) a BlueV.png.

I would make the BlueV.png Go from JFK Airport (Rush Hours Far Rockaway), via the abandoned LIRR Rockaway beach branch, then go via QBL, and have Woodhaven Blvd an Express an express stop. I would then send the BlueV.png down 53 Street.

If the (MTA) had enough money, they could make a switch before 7 Av-53 St & make the BlueV.png go via CPW local. the BlueV.png would terminate at 145 Street, and rush hours go to either 168 St or BPB.

If the (MTA) doesn't have enough money, then they could send the BlueV.png down 8 Avenue, then at W 4 Street, switch over to the 6th Avenue line and have it terminate it at 2 Avenue.

Late nights, the BlueV.png would be a shuttle running from Woodhaven blvd (there would be a layup track after the station) to Lefferts Blvd. In that case, they should make a switch from the Lefferts Blvd line onto the abandoned LIRR Rockaway Branch.

Now theres one reason why I wouldn't suggest making this route at all.

The only reason the LIRR rockaway beach branch was closed down in the first place was because ofd Low Ridership.

We also have the Q21 & Q53 limited buses.

Then again, the Q21 & Q53 tend to get Jam-Packed most of the time, So yeah I think it would be a good Idea.

lol you made that blue (V)? wow...

There is a problem to his idea, and that would be the jamming of the 53rd Street Tunnel so it won't work. A better idea would be to run the (G), or the (R) onto the Rockaway Beach Branch.

Hows about make another tunnel connecting the SAS and making the (V) run via 63rd St/2 Avenue to 96 Street? :P.

I think it would be a great idea of sending the (G) via Rockaway beach branch, and have some extra (G) trains run between Woodhaven Blvd & the Rockaways.

The Second Avenue Subway isn't a good option, because it's too far off. The (G) seems to be the best idea, but it needs it's own tunnel, because if you add the (G) to the current IND Queens Boulevard Line it would jam the line. That's why the original IND Second System plan was to create a tunnel under the current IND Queens Boulevard Line.

Archived