Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
traildriver

Lift bridge still in use?

Is the railroad lift bridge to Staten Island used at all anymore by freight trains?

If not, could it be used as a highway bridge for local interstate travel to relieve some congestion from the Goethals? Even if used one way only with traffic flow?

Seems a waste if it is just rusting away....

The remains of the WTC buildings left NY via this bridge to a steel recycling plant out west.

- A

Oh, also, it's called the Arthur Kill lift bridge & is the longest and tallest lift bridge in the world. The not too far away bayonne bridge is the largest steel arch bridge in the world.

- A

AKLB is used by CSAO and CSX.

CSAO serves it out of Bay Way Yard which is the yard next to the Bay Way refinery. You can sometimes see the Orange DSEX cars sitting in there.

Thanks for the interesting replys. I would love to ride a "rare mileage" fan trip over it, but not likely to happen. Has it ever?

Ever been any office or private cars over it? Did the old SIRT ever get its cars delivered over it?

Thanks for the interesting replys. I would love to ride a "rare mileage" fan trip over it, but not likely to happen. Has it ever?

Ever been any office or private cars over it? Did the old SIRT ever get its cars delivered over it?

Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, and Winston Churchill have been there. They traveled on the bridge from Washington D.C.

Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, and Winston Churchill have been there. They traveled on the bridge from Washington D.C.

Very interesting. Do you have any more details on that? Did they go on to Manhattan on the ferry? (I couldn't imagine their destination being Staten island!)

I did make a mistake. Churchhill got off his boat at Tompkinsville, took the train to get to D.C. But the others did go to N.Y, for a visit. Pretty sure they took a ferry. I can't imagine what they'd want to see in Staten Island.