R143 Question

trainfan22

I thought is would cost way less because the car is already built. It's not like brand new parts have to be purchased (for the most part). I wonder if stripping it down and rebuilding it would cost more than buying a brand new one...? Maybe they would keep the old frame and build a new one, then put the parts back on. It sounds more expensive... But then again, three 143's sitting, collecting dust in the yard, is about a 3.6 million dollar waste, so...we'll see.

Isn't it not even a single frame, but rather a series of metal strips making up the floor that were bent?

Since this was not a usual crash, where the body was crushed; I would say completely dismantle it, take the exterior side panels off; and pay for a new frame and reuse everything that is reusable. So that would be like building a new car, but cost less than using all new material.

Isn't it not even a single frame, but rather a series of metal strips making up the floor that were bent?

Since this was not a usual crash, where the body was crushed; I would say completely dismantle it, take the exterior side panels off; and pay for a new frame and reuse everything that is reusable. So that would be like building a new car, but cost less than using all new material.

I heard from a friend in CED that the frame was bent because the one end of the car went up in the air and the truck did not fall off, thus bending the frame.

That's what I heard (which I thought was ridiculous; again; it wasn't an impact), but then I also heard that this "frame" was individual strips making up the floor.

The floor is added onto the frame, but I don't know the structure of these cars that well and it would not suprize me if something like that was done to "cut down on weight".

A frame could be replaced because a railcar is a robot not a living thing sir...

The frame is the structure to which everything is mounted. It gives the car structure and support. Bending it ends its life because it gets weakened and becomes a liability to safety. And because everything is attached to it, you might as well just retire the car and get a new one rather than go through all the manpower to remove everything from the frame, build a new one, and then reattach everything to the new frame sir...

Thats gross, but anyways. A frame could be replaced because a railcar is a robot not a living thing sir...

Have you ever done any work what so ever on any rail vehicle? Unless you have, you have no idea what you are talking about. Like I had said before, a bent frame usually means that the car is done for. And yes, because I know your going to ask, I have done work on several rail cars including subway cars so I don know what I am talking about.

Have you ever done any work what so ever on any rail vehicle? Unless you have, you have no idea what you are talking about. Like I had said before, a bent frame usually means that the car is done for. And yes, because I know your going to ask, I have done work on several rail cars including subway cars so I don know what I am talking about.

I can vouch for both.

• 4 months later...
Guest lance25

@GC: Really?!?! I thought (MTA) and short-sighted go hand-in-hand like twins attached at the hip. B) These are the guys who rehabbed the IRT redbirds only to dump them in the Atlantic months later.

Resopnse to bold section: You don? B)

A bent frame usually means that the structure is weakened, and may not hold together anymore. Knowing this, can't the MTA just have them build another R160 frame, and just use those R143 parts on it?

A bent frame usually means that the structure is weakened, and may not hold together anymore. Knowing this, can't the MTA just have them build another R160 frame, and just use those R143 parts on it?

Cheaper (and easier) to just buy a new car. Do you have any idea how long it takes to dismantle and then assemble an entire subway car?

Always amazes me how it seems to short the buffs' circuits when something is 'unused'...be it express tracks or NTT's or whatever...

Resopnse to bold section: You don? B)

Grow up, other people know what I was saying.

Grow up, other people know what I was saying.
Stop being so serious, it's called a joke.

Cheaper (and easier) to just buy a new car. Do you have any idea how long it takes to dismantle and then assemble an entire subway car?

Yes, I do realize how long it takes, but there may be a few issues.

1) Do they still make the parts? Yeah, it may seem like a stupid question at first, but technology gets old quick. I mean, look at the iPhone. Is the 2G version still manufactured?

2) Wouldn't it just be cheaper to build a frame vs. building a whole subway car (including buying the same parts all over again)

Those are the only things I can think of right now.

Archived