Transit Idea (Map Included)

TransitGuy

Hello everyone I just wanted to show a map that I made which consisted of various ideas from people in straphangers and an idea from myself (I know someone else did it on strap hangers but I decided to make one of my own). Please comment and tell me what you would add or remove. Thanks

Lines Affected

A, S, F,V,2,G,N,W

CopyofSubwayIdeav2-1.jpg

icon14.gif - The (2) extension to Kings Plaza would be a great idea. Extending the (5) also would be even better.

icon13.gif - The (V) extending all the way into Rockaway Park wouldn't be a good idea. The best thing would be just to extend the (C) route back into the Rockaway's. And that cross route thru Queens the (V) is taking is also not a good idea.

icon14.gif - Extending the (N)/(W) line to La Guardia Airport would be nice and could work as long as it stayed elevated. A hard right turn would be needed.

icon14.gif - Extending the (F) line into Springfield/Queens Village would be a good idea but I don't think the residents would have it.

icon14.gif - Extending the (G) line to Church Avenue would be a great idea to help ease congestion on that line. The express tracks would have to opened up for this to work right.

Harry

icon13.gif - The (V) extending all the way into Rockaway Park wouldn't be a good idea. The best thing would be just to extend the (C) route back into the Rockaway's. And that cross route thru Queens the (V) is taking is also not a good idea.

See I was thinking by taking the V via the ROW, it would serve parts that aren't served a lot. Also, I would think by extending the V to Rockaway Park, the ridership of the V would be boosted. Also, a good portion of the ROW would be reused for a good cause.

Well the cross thru is being done on an existing elevated structure. If the MTA does do this plan, there isn't much need for property acquisition with the exception of one piece. (which I think the MTA still owns anyway) But they can get that money by charging the school bus company to remove each bus ($5000 per bus) :P from the ROW. The only thing is the removal of the trees and re installation of rails and platforms etc. But thats honestly part of the plan.

The V looks like a plan that would get scraped by the MTA. To me it looks like a route that would not not be traveled very often. You would be creating another G train.

Thats a good point but people currently who take the V will have access to the airport now and a trip to the Rockaways and Aqueduct Racetrack. I mean I think the plan can work. By the way does anyone have any other plans that they would like to see? (line extensions etc)?

They all look reasonable to me. The TA got ist hands full with the second avenue for now. They should also look at your proposals.

Thanks a lot for the compliment. I appreciate it. Its really too bad that the MTA is more concerned about projects that deal with Manhattan instead of projects that deal with other boroughs like Queens. I have one question in regards to the F extension, do you all think the stops are at the best spot? If not, where would you put them? Thanks

• 3 months later...

Well coming up with these ideas, I was basically thinking that maybe a general upgrade of the areas would help out. I mean I live by the V line plan and basically for the most part, Atlantic is a bit industrial, it can use a bit sprucing up. I think these plans would work but its really up to the MTA looking into these. I think that the MTA should really invest more time into projects that concern other boroughs. By the way are there any other ideas that you would like to be seen?

• 1 month later...

I've always thought of a subway line making a DIRECT connection between The Bronx and Queens...y'know, something of a crosstown service like the (G) train? :cool:

Bronxites wouldn't have to travel into Manhattan just to transfer to a Queens-bound train heading back across. Although the Q44 bus currently provides the said connection, we'd require something less time-consuming! :(

I agree with most of these ideas, except the V extension via the ROW and extending the G along Queens Boulevard full-time.

Also, would it be better to just extend the 2/5 along Nostrand Avenue or is that what you're doing? As you can tell I don't know a lot about Brooklyn.

Your idea with the (V) is like an idea I had. I made a new (Y) from Roosevelt-74th to Rockaway Park though.

The (F) extension could work. I had a similar idea using the (J)/(Z) though. The (F) is long enough as it is.

(N)/(W) to LGA great idea.

(G) on QB could work. I managed to work it out with the (E), (F), (G), (Q), (R), and (V) on QB. Then again, with all the timers squeezing six lines onto QB through Forest Hills could be a disaster waiting to happen.

I can already see problems since everyone is against the (V) extension. Honestly, i think if you take the (V) through the unused but usable Roosevelt Terminal Station and let it run on a separate level (even thought that will take years and lots of mola$$$$) I can see a cross-Queens line in the future. And it can provide transfer to (J)/(Z) at what formerly Brooklyn Manor and LIRR at Atlantic.

The (2) Extension is definite thumbs up as it can provide direct access to Kings Plaza and ease things out with Marine Park residents.

The (N)/(W) Extension was shot down so many times! I can't stand it. I want a direct access to LaGudia Airport so people wouldn't depend on packed buses. (Especially with there luggage!!!)

The (G) Extension is already happening. As I've said before Feb 4th at 12:01 AM it will be extended.

Lastly, the (F) extension can be really useful cept I doubt it can work due to the QB line being choked with congestion. My suggestion is extending the (E),(J), and (Z) lines so both The QB and the Jamaica Line can access it. So there would be two ways to Manhattan.

I don't have a map to post, but I have several other ideas in mind for extending the existing lines:

(1) : to 262nd Street in Riverdale

(2) : to Kings Plaza, where it would connect with the (L)

(3) : to Aqueduct/North Conduit, where it would connect with the (A)

(4) : to 233rd Street in Woodlawn and to Aqueduct/North Conduit all hours, where it would connect with the (A)

(5) : to Flatbush all hours

(6) : to Ropes Avenue in the Bronx

(7) : to Little Neck via Northern Blvd

(:D : to Norwood all hours

(C) : to Inwood all hours; to Lefferts all hours

(E) : to Little Neck Pkwy via Jamaica Ave

(F) : to 268th St via Hillside Ave

(G) : to Forest Hills all hours; to Church all hours

(J) : to Little Neck Pkwy via Jamaica Ave

(L) : to Kings Plaza, where it would connect with the (2)

(M) : extended to connect with (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) at Forest Hills

(N) : extended to La Guardia

(Q) : across 57th St, up Lex, and across 125th

(R) : to Kew Gardens/Union Tpke

(W) : north to Hunts Point, connecting with the (6)

Breakdown of my ideas;

A Division

(7x)-renumbered as (11) operates as current between North Bergen P-R and Flushing

B Division

Rockaway Park (A) relabeled as (H) and operates all times except nights. Nights (H) Shuttle between Euclid and Rockaway Park.

(C)-Extended to Lefferts Bvld.

(F)-operates express in Brooklyn from Jay Street to Church Avenue, Bergen Street rebuilt as ADA station.

(G)-operates from 71/Continental to Church Avenue

(K)-operates from Fort Lee to Green Acres Mall via "that station under Pitkin Avenue". Tunnels actually extend to Garden State Plaza. Train operates Express from 168th Street to Euclid Ave and then again from Cross Bay to Springfield Bvld.

(J)/(Z)-Extended to Belmont Park, (Z) operates at all times.

(L)-Extended to Hoboken Terminal, stop added at 11th Avenue.

(Q)-Extended via 63rd St/QB/Union Turnpike to end of Q46/QM1

(Y)-Local service from 74th/Roosevelt to Springfield Bvld via Woodhaven Bvld & Conduit Avenue.

Breakdown of my ideas;

A Division

(7x)-renumbered as (11) operates as current between North Bergen P-R and Flushing

B Division

Rockaway Park (A) relabeled as (H) and operates all times except nights. Nights (H) Shuttle between Euclid and Rockaway Park.

(C)-Extended to Lefferts Bvld.

(F)-operates express in Brooklyn from Jay Street to Church Avenue, Bergen Street rebuilt as ADA station.

(G)-operates from 71/Continental to Church Avenue

(K)-operates from Fort Lee to Green Acres Mall via "that station under Pitkin Avenue". Tunnels actually extend to Garden State Plaza. Train operates Express from 168th Street to Euclid Ave and then again from Cross Bay to Springfield Bvld.

(J)/(Z)-Extended to Belmont Park, (Z) operates at all times.

(L)-Extended to Hoboken Terminal, stop added at 11th Avenue.

(Q)-Extended via 63rd St/QB/Union Turnpike to end of Q46/QM1

(Y)-Local service from 74th/Roosevelt to Springfield Bvld via Woodhaven Bvld & Conduit Avenue.

Why would you have the (7) redesignated as the (11)?

The 11 was the 7 Express. The 7 Local runs between Javits and Flushing. I think the riders pay more attention to the front signs then the side signs and would think 7=Javits and 11=Jersey.

Oh, I see. But then, wouldn't you be skipping the (8), (9) and (10) designations? Or do you have another proposal as to where to add those lines to the system.

Archived