NJ Transit locomotive Roster and information

Eric Kreszl

We are going to use this for a roster of all NJ Transit locomotives still in Revenue service on the railroad as a general guide to the locomotives. Information regarding the locomotives will be updated.

Electric Locomotives

ALP-44 #4400-4419

ALP-44M #4420-4431

ALP-46 #4600-4628

Revenue Diesel Locomotives

PL42AC #4000-4032

F40PH-2CAT #4113-4129

GP40FH-2 4134-4144

GP40PH-2 #4100-4112

GP40PH-2A (designated as GP40PH-2 on locomotive) #4145-4150

GP40PH-2B #4200-4218

GP40PH-2 #4148 was wrecked in Secaucus NJ collision on 2/9/1996. The locomotive was rebuilt to GP40PH-2B specifications and renumbered 4219. For some unknown reason 4219 does not have a letter B at the end of the GP40PH-2 designation on the locomotive itself.

Non-Revenue Diesel Locomotives

(These locomotives do not have Head-End-Power units (HEP) as a result they can not be used to pull passenger trains.)

GP40-2 #4300-4303

MP20-3B #1001-1005

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

GP40-2 #4300-4303.. I regularly see these also from the :nec: and the PATH train by the path yard. Usually hooked to problem comet v cars going to wherever they go for the repairs & fixes they seem to require. I'm sad those cars seem to have such issues, they are comfy and pleasing to the eye. NJT seems to be favoring older cars & their EMU's for the last 3 months on the :nec: i've been seeing less and less of the comet v.

- Andy

GP40-2 #4300-4303.. I regularly see these also from the :nec: and the PATH train by the path yard. Usually hooked to problem comet v cars going to wherever they go for the repairs & fixes they seem to require. I'm sad those cars seem to have such issues, they are comfy and pleasing to the eye. NJT seems to be favoring older cars & their EMU's for the last 3 months on the :nec: i've been seeing less and less of the comet v.

- Andy

The 4300 locomotives are MOW locomotives. As I have written they are not equipped with Head End Power Units. They are strictly work locomotives.

Eric

The 4300 locomotives are MOW locomotives. As I have written they are not equipped with Head End Power Units. They are strictly work locomotives.

Eric

Yea, i think they are simply moving them though, not in revenue service.

- Andy

• 5 months later...

It appears that 3-4 GP40FH-2 locomotives are still active, with NJT obviously intending to get whatever life is left out of their wheelsets, etc. until major expensive repairs are necessary. (It apears the locomotives that were laying over at Bay Head from January-July 2008 are on their way to Canada at a bargain price.) Recently seen active on the NJCL include 4142 (10/1/08 midday southbound at Point Pleasant Beach) 4138 (laying over at night in Bay Head yard over the past few weeks.) 4141 was also active into early August.

It appears that 3-4 GP40FH-2 locomotives are still active, with NJT obviously intending to get whatever life is left out of their wheelsets, etc. until major expensive repairs are necessary. (It apears the locomotives that were laying over at Bay Head from January-July 2008 are on their way to Canada at a bargain price.) Recently seen active on the NJCL include 4142 (10/1/08 midday southbound at Point Pleasant Beach) 4138 (laying over at night in Bay Head yard over the past few weeks.) 4141 was also active into early August.

Thanks for the info. The October 2008 issue of Railpace Newsmagazine has a photo of 6 of the 7 locomotives on a CN freight going up to Canada. The trains agency AMT is leasing them. The one locomotive that was not on that train was NJ Transit GP40FH-2 #4140. I don't know where that locomotive is and that was one of the 7 stored in Bay Head.

Eric

• 4 months later...
What were those rebuilt from?

- A

NJ Transit's MP20B-3 locomotives were built by Wabtec. they were built from NJ Transit GP40FH-2 locomotives #4130-4134.

NJT 1001 Ex NJT 4130

NJT 1002 Ex NJT 4131

NJT 1003 Ex NJT 4132

NJT 1004 Ex NJT 4133

NJT 1005 Ex NJT 4134.

Eric

The 4100's the CNJ units are fine. They just have some crappy signaling system thats been phased out so they are restricted to the Hoboken routes sometimes making an odd appearance on the :njc:. How long they have know one knows, there was no second order for PL42's so my guess is they have time at least for now. The next units to go will probably be the 4300's the GP40-2's.

The 4100's the CNJ units are fine. They just have some crappy signaling system thats been phased out so they are restricted to the Hoboken routes sometimes making an odd appearance on the :njc:. How long they have know one knows, there was no second order for PL42's so my guess is they have time at least for now. The next units to go will probably be the 4300's the GP40-2's.

The NJ Transit CNJ 4100-4112 series locomotives are still going strong and in my personal opinion are one of there best. The locomotives were equipped with NJ Transit's Experimental ACSES System which restricted their use to the hoboken Division routes. ACSES stands for Automatic Cab Speed Enforcement System. An advanced form of Cab Signaling and speed enforcement. Despite the fact that the locomotives are 40 years old I would personally expect NJ Transit to use these locomotives at least for a couple more years.

Eric

Archived