NJ Transit locomotive Roster and information

Eric Kreszl

A pass by the Bay Head yard saw #4141 still "soldiering on" as one of the VERY LAST GP40FH-2 Morrison-Knudson "rebuilds" on NJ Transit. These locomotives were never particularly popular. Originally numbered 4130-4144they were brought in to help kill off the remaining E8's in 1987, they had a somewhat-awkward appearance and gained the nickname of "Pigs."

4130-4134 have been rebuilt as EXTREMELY HIGH-PRICED switching/drill engines, while several others went into storage at Bay Head in January of 2008 and then got leased to Canadian service in July (where they are perfectly adequate for service and the Canadians are happy to have them!)

#'s 4138-4139 and 4141-4142 remained in NJ Transit service.......obviously their prime movers and wheelsets were in *better* condition than those of the others and NJ Transit decided to get as much mileage out of the units as they can before trying to unload them.....especially since fuel prices started comng down.

So we may see the "Pigs" for a few more months......get your photos while you can.

Rick Zitarosa

There are a 4 out there right now, I still think they have sometime at this point though with MN having problems it seems with some of their recent rebuilds I would not be surprised if they were sold to them and got a fresh coat of MN pain. Anyway here are the assignments I know of right now:

4138 is at the MMC

4139 is on the Hudson Protect with ALP44 4409

4141 is on a Bay Head Shuttles.

4142 is out of Hoboken right now was seen on the :pvl: today.

There are a 4 out there right now, I still think they have sometime at this point though with MN having problems it seems with some of their recent rebuilds I would not be surprised if they were sold to them and got a fresh coat of MN pain. Anyway here are the assignments I know of right now:

4138 is at the MMC

4139 is on the Hudson Protect with ALP44 4409

4141 is on a Bay Head Shuttles.

4142 is out of Hoboken right now was seen on the :pvl: today.

I saw 4142 the other day parked off in the distance near the HBLR crossover.

- A

I already gave you the low down of assignments at the moment, 4142 could show up on any of the lines out of Hoboken and 4141 could always go back on a Bay Head-Hoboken train.

The Hudson Protect is the electric and diesel engine that sits in Hudson Yard in Newark/Harrison, they will venture out to pick up cars and dead locomotives from time to time, they sit where they do so they can get to both the Hoboken and Newark Division.

Hudson Protect on the NEC and NJCL with various units:

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1481346

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1498474

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1469313

Walking down the platforms on a weekday is not a good idea unless you have permission, be warned.

I do it all most every week mid-day. Except my one comical run-in with a yard worker i've never had an issue there but thank you very much for the concern. ;)

- A

The H-P today had 4303 facing nyp and an alp-44, then another diesel of some kind i didnt look fast enough on the PATH train. Also those SPV2000 junkpiles are still there, i wonder if they are going to restore them?

Also some news. Our old friend 4107 was sitting on track 18 in back of a metro north train headed up by a cat, the cars were being cleaned. The sad news, is that the engine sounds like its on its way out. I've stood a foot away from these guys before, getting my insides rattled to a pulp by the vibration, however, this one was making a sound that made me think it has a bad valve or a worn bearing somewhere. The only thing that gives me any hope is that it was sitting alone not attached to anything, so the sound could MAYBE be the alternator kicking on to run the air system or something. The station approach lights above the cab were left on.

Andy ideas? I have a video that i'll post ASAP.

- A

It could have been on low idle and the HEP had not vroomed up, when the HEP is not running loud it makes the GEEP sound bad. 4107 still has time as do all the CNJ units. Not surprised 4303 made it over to Hudson yard as it was in Hoboken as the switcher over the weekend. The only FH's whereabouts I can confirm at the moment are 4141 and 42 which are both going in and out of Hoboken one on Bay Head sets the other 4142 on any of the other lines it seems.

It could have been on low idle and the HEP had not vroomed up, when the HEP is not running loud it makes the GEEP sound bad. 4107 still has time as do all the CNJ units. Not surprised 4303 made it over to Hudson yard as it was in Hoboken as the switcher over the weekend. The only FH's whereabouts I can confirm at the moment are 4141 and 42 which are both going in and out of Hoboken one on Bay Head sets the other 4142 on any of the other lines it seems.

Good to know. I will look at the bay head schedule to see when it comes in so i can try to be there wed and fri next week. :D

- A

Hello Everyone,

Today the Hudson Protect Crew came down the coastline. The consist consisted of NJ Transit MOW GP40-2 #4303 running long hood forward with NJ Transit GP40FH-2 #4139 six cars and NJ Transit ALP-44 #4416 dead. I saw that train when it was heading east. I could not get photos because I was driving.

Eric

I saw again an alp-46 hooked to alp-44 hooked to an alp-46 hooked to a quite long yard makeup of cars about half way in from the freight tracks. They had comet 2, 3, 4, 5, and multilevels all hooked together, but not moving. This was there 2 weeks ago, same makeup, same location. You think they are testing them to run in mixed consist, or are the -46's waiting for more multilevels to be delivered?

- A

Were trying to keep this to locomotives but I will answer that question. The ML's WILL NOT BE mixed withe the Comets in revenue service. I repeat the ML's WILL NOT BE MIXED with the Comets in revenue service. This is due to the PEI system the ML's have along with other systems that will not work if mixed. So yes you will see them hooked up together but not to be used in revenue service.

When are the ALP-46a due for first delivery?

Any idea which numbers they will carry?

Will they be tested a lot before being put into service, or just a little and put right to work?

- A

Archived