NovaBus LFS Articulated Discussion

R32 3348

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I've heard 3876-3899 go back to Manhattanville, and the remaining 1996 Novas are retired / displaced.

Question is, what happens to the Quill batch of O7s MHV got... Worst case scenario (and this is speculation) 126 loses all RTSes as the 6690-6722 O7s replace the 1997 buses while the LFSes displace the 1996 buses and the NGs.

OR the 3876-3899 batch stays at 126th and the RTSs go bye bye...

Those LFSAs transmission won't be back anytime sooner on your new Artics as they were Ecomats, and Ecomats are not part of the EPA 2010 combo. :P

So if you guys get ZF again, they will be EcoLife 6AP1700B - Very similar sound to your 40-footers LFSes, but hey I also like the sound of these ones! :) B)

They are ZF Ecolife!:tup:

Just hoping that Brooklyn and queens can finally into the artic bandwagon get these 53xx's and 54xx's from Manhattan.

Also, are the 5200's and early 5300's artic buses in the Bronx are being replaced?

Brooklyn, Queen, and Staten Island are all on the list to get artics.

1000-1109, 5250-5509 will all be replaced by the new LFSA's.

In any case it ain't looking good for the 126 RTSes. The 1997s I suppose by definition will be retired with the whole pre-1998 plan, which is a shame as those buses are running very well. The 1996s though, some of those are definitely due for retirement... [sadly] I was on 9221 the other day, last time I rode it was at MHV (and a runner), that bus was falling apart.

The majority of the '97 RTS' still have a lot of life in them.

There are about 385 1996 models in service that will be retired first.

The "pre-1998 retirement plan" you speak of only applies to non-RTS models!:tup:

(Its nice when you get woken out your sleep at 7:40AM with bus information)

The bus will remain white, it will NOT wear a proper fleet number nor will it wear any stripes. It will be slapped up with just a pacman logo. It will still do a 30-pilot test on the M15 Line from 126th Street. This bus IS the blueprint for the 328 bus order. If all is liked the order will come in like this unit. If things are NOT like, they will be changed on the production model.

(I'm going BACK to sleep)

The bus will remain white, it will NOT wear a proper fleet number nor will it wear any stripes. It will be slapped up with just a pacman logo. It will still do a 30-pilot test on the M15 Line from 126th Street. This bus IS the blueprint for the 328 bus order. If all is liked the order will come in like this unit. If things are NOT like, they will be changed on the production model.

I thought the current LFSA's in service were the test? And I hope the "white bus" isn't expanded to 328! If the MTA REALLY wants to skimp on color, how about painting it light blue and decaling a white logo?

I thought the current LFSA's in service were the test? And I hope the "white bus" isn't expanded to 328! If the MTA REALLY wants to skimp on color, how about painting it light blue and decaling a white logo?

What is occurring from this point out is that on Competitive Bid orders ONLY, the MTA will now receive 1 bus prior to delivery with specs requested for a 30-day pilot test before the production units are built and accepted. Bus will always be delivered white. This will allow the MTA to make decisions on specifications for each Competitive Bid order.

This does not effect Non-Competitive Bid orders like the Xcelsiors or Orion 7 EPA 10s which will just be delivered with the typical MTA spec.

This is unlike the MTA's normal demonstrator program where a manufacturer sends out a demo unit that is already built and has all the bells and whistles from the manufacturer. So don't confuse the two. This white LFSA is our pilot bus and the production models will either be similar or have changes from what the MTA does and doesn't like on this bus.

My prediction:

I don't see the MTA going with the Alcoas, but hey, things do change.

(Yeah, going back to sleep didn't work, once I'm up, I'm Up)

So if I understand correctly, once the testing is complete the white bus will be returned to Nova and won't become part of the actual order?

That is unknown, i'm only giving you guys the information as its given to me. Of course the more I find out, the more I'll post.

What is occurring from this point out is that on Competitive Bid orders ONLY, the MTA will now receive 1 bus prior to delivery with specs requested for a 30-day pilot test before the production units are built and accepted. Bus will always be delivered white. This will allow the MTA to make decisions on specifications for each Competitive Bid order.

This does not effect Non-Competitive Bid orders like the Xcelsiors or Orion 7 EPA 10s which will just be delivered with the typical MTA spec.

This is unlike the MTA's normal demonstrator program where a manufacturer sends out a demo unit that is already built and has all the bells and whistles from the manufacturer. So don't confuse the two. This white LFSA is our pilot bus and the production models will either be similar or have changes from what the MTA does and doesn't like on this bus.

My prediction:

I don't see the MTA going with the Alcoas, but hey, things do change.

(Yeah, going back to sleep didn't work, once I'm up, I'm Up)

Unless the MTA decides to delay Nova from starting production around August 22nd the first batch will not look like this pilot. The first production batch will not have Alcoa's or frameless windows.

Unless the MTA decides to delay Nova from starting production around August 22nd the first batch will not look like this pilot. The first production batch will not have Alcoa's or frameless windows.

Didn't say the production models WOULD have the Alcoas or frameless, but don't sleep, it COULD if the MTA wanted it. We have a few buses running around here in the city with Alcoas on them (outside of the ex-Bee Line Orions which were brought used with them already on).

As I was told by the people responsible for the testing of this coach. This coach's spec is full of things the MTA is trying out for our order. Its not uncommon for the MTA specs to change prior to the the production unit being fully built, its not uncommon for the specs to change mid-order, hell its not uncommon for specs to change with the last 50 buses of a large order. We've done that here quite a few times. Hell, the Orion VII NG order had 7 spec changes throughout the production period:

Back Door from Push Bar to Vapor CLASS

Steering Wheel and Column

Lead Acid to Lithium Ion Batteries

Curb Light

Emissions Package (on the last few buses)

Paint to Decals

Operators Window

All I'm passing along is the information that was given to me by the people responsible for this bus.

Ok, I just got a little info on the pilot, and overall order myself. Looks like Novasupporter, and Trevor are both correct.

It appears as if the order for 328 new coaches could in fact resemble the Orion VII NG order.

This first bus, "dubbed 1290," is an actual pilot for the order. However, the bus will likely return to Nova after the testing period is complete. MTA wants to play will many specs, and may change a few things.

As I understand it, the first batches of LFSA's will be cast iron rims, and framed windows. However, MTA has the option of changing the specifications throughout the order, which they will likely do.

On top of that, some other breaking news. MTA plans to order an additional 100 LFSA's around the end of the year, first of January.

So in all actuality, the first 328 could have the standard specs, and the follow up order for 100 buses could have frameless windows, etc...

I guess we have to just wait and see how this all plays out, but it will definitely be interesting, and it looks like we will DEFINITELY be seeing 428 new LFSA's now!:cool:

This first bus, "dubbed 1290," is an actual pilot for the order. However, the bus will likely return to Nova after the testing period is complete. MTA wants to play will many specs, and may change a few things.

As I understand it, the first batches of LFSA's will be cast iron rims, and framed windows. However, MTA has the option of changing the specifications throughout the order, which they will likely do.

Thanks, that is basically what I was trying to say.

On top of that, some other breaking news. MTA plans to order an additional 100 LFSA's around the end of the year, first of January.

So in all actuality, the first 328 could have the standard specs, and the follow up order for 100 buses could have frameless windows, etc...

I guess we have to just wait and see how this all plays out, but it will definitely be interesting, and it looks like we will DEFINITELY be seeing 428 new LFSA's now!:cool:

This is good news.:tup:

• 2 weeks later...
On that same award date, MTABC may also see 72 Artics as well. With a total of 500 Buses. hmmmmmm.....

I really can't wait to see how this order goes.

Milestones reports July 2011 Page 5

Correct! I haven't had a chance to make any updates, and I actually had not seen the new milestone report yet.:tup:

If anybody have an assignment suggestion for this order, I'm pretty interested in which depots you think may need LFSAs in Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens.

:):):)

DEFINITE GARAGES:

126th Street (M60), Gun Hill and Flatbush (B44)SBS

RUMORED GARAGES:

Casey Stengel (Q44), JFK (Q8) (Q10), Baisley Park (Q113)

The Rumored garage are actually slated for Articulateds and are in the Capital Budget for Articulated upgrades to the garages. It is not known whether these garages will get these buses brand new OR hand-me-downs from the Bronx and Manhattan's New Flyer D60HFs.

Archived