Designline Eco-Saver IV Hybrid

Kingsbridge Bus

They look for you (in Manhattan), not the other way around. They do bounce too much though (experience riding 1303 on the B13 when it was assigned to Grand Avenue).

Wow... I bet that was interesting!

It is clear to me that 1302 has had terrible failures since it has been at Manhattanville depot.

I think 1302 should get an early state inspection just in case cause it's not normal for a brand new bus to break down too much, or is it normal?

What is the problem with 1302 lately?:eek:

It depends, but on a model like this, which is essentially an all new design from the ground up, which has yet to be proven and modified, is very normal. The first prototype/production runs of almost every "all new" bus built, has been rocky. When the RTS first came out the only good thing about it was the ride! MTA wouldn't touch them. Now they are legendary! Orions and New Flyers have improved drastically over the last 2 decades, and Gilligs have......... well....... No comment.... Just to name a few.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1302, 1303 and 1304 are still at the assigned depots in regular service. 1305 is still at Zerega and 1306 is still doing Sandbag Testing around Manhattan and Brooklyn.

1305 and 1306 has specification changes in the Hybrid system from 1302-1304. Unlike the previous three, 1305 and 1306 are going through far more extensive testing before being placed into regular passenger service rotation.

Outside of that fact, it is my speculation that this order may go the way of the redbird if 1305 and 1306 don't test well.

Rumor from a NovaBUS technician was that the MTA was interested in a 50 bus, 40-foot order of LFSs. Again this is rumor from a Nova Tech. Now, it makes SOME sense because if they cancel the DesignLine order, that leaves 90 buses that were supposed to be duty life cycle replaced still in service and would eventually still need replacing and with service cuts upcoming, 90 buses may NOT be needed but 50 instead. I hope there is some truth to what the Nova Tech told me because 0055 was a really great bus.

It depends, but on a model like this, which is essentially an all new design from the ground up

The bus itself is not a new model, this particular body has been built by DesignLine since the late 90s and is a proven reliable bus design.

The Turbine-Hybrid Electric technology on the bus is new and that's whats being thoroughly tested and needs fine tuning.

The technology itself is innovative in the fact that on a regular duty day, the bus will consume 50% less fuel than a standard diesel bus and roughly 35% less fuel than our current Hybrid fleet. If we can get all the bugs out, this bus can be super beneficial to the the MTA in terms of fuel cost savings.

The bus itself is not a new model, this particular body has been built by DesignLine since the late 90s and is a proven reliable bus design.

The Turbine-Hybrid Electric technology on the bus is new and that's whats being thoroughly tested and needs fine tuning.

The technology itself is innovative in the fact that on a regular duty day, the bus will consume 50% less fuel than a standard diesel bus and roughly 35% less fuel than our current Hybrid fleet. If we can get all the bugs out, this bus can be super beneficial to the the MTA in terms of fuel cost savings.

(L)et's hope for the Designline Delivery then

I hope and pray that this bus order is canceled. It won't make it in a town like NYC. Yeah it's nice that it can save fuel but what good is it if it isn't doing the job it's intended to do like being on the road? I said it before, nearly a year later and they are STILL testing this bus. They just tested the Nova 40 LFS's and already they are getting GREAT results. They need to go with Nova, which has proven itself to be a worthwhile business for the (MTA), than go to some agency that most of us have never even heard of.

NO to the Designline!

I hope and pray that this bus order is canceled. It won't make it in a town like NYC. Yeah it's nice that it can save fuel but what good is it if it isn't doing the job it's intended to do like being on the road? I said it before, nearly a year later and they are STILL testing this bus. They just tested the Nova 40 LFS's and already they are getting GREAT results. They need to go with Nova, which has proven itself to be a worthwhile business for the (MTA), than go to some agency that most of us have never even heard of.

NO to the Designline!

Remember at one point some years ago we tested a LFS ad it failed bad.So Nova stepped up to the plate again and improved it.Designline can do the same.

Remember at one point some years ago we tested a LFS ad it failed bad.So Nova stepped up to the plate again and improved it.Designline can do the same.

Check out what you just said. You said that it took Nova YEARS for them to get the LFS right for a place like NY. It will more than likely take YEARS for Designline to perfect their buses for NY too and if that's the case, then so be it but we are dealing with the here and now, and right now, the Designlines aren't cutting it. If they can't handle the streets of NYC the way that the LFS couldn't handle this place years back, then the (MTA) needs to cut their losses and drop this order ASAP. The (MTA) has spent enough money on inferior stuff that's on the road right now as we speak, God knows we don't need anymore crap on our streets.

I must correct you. The LFS bus we tested before (Bus #995) was not tested for the bus, it was tested for the new Detroit Diesel Series 40E Engine that was IN the bus. So the test was never meant to be for the LFS but in fact for the new Detroit Diesel engine.

Just like how we tested the Gillig Hybrid some years ago, it wasn't for the bus, but it was to test out the GM/Allison Parallel Hybrid Drive System.

Just tossing this out there. Does anyone know how these buses are performing for Bee-Line in Westchester? I have seen dozens of them in service.

There are no DesignLine buses in Westchester County. The new Westchester County buses are NABI Model 40-LFW Hybrids.

Bee Line NABI:

Beeline_NABI_299.jpg

NYMTA DesignLine:

NYCB_Designline_1302f.jpg

^^^ They are already testing in one Brooklyn depot.... Grand Avenue. No need to waste money testing another depot on this POS bus order.
See.Designline needs to build a plant here in NY under the "Buy America act" I think distance and the fact that these buses are still at their infancy stage,may make this order a Orphan order:(.Orion can pump out more buses in a month than DL can do in a year.

See.Designline needs to build a plant here in NY under the "Buy America act" I think distance and the fact that these buses are still at their infancy stage,may make this order a Orphan order:(.Orion can pump out more buses in a month than DL can do in a year.

That's becase Orion rushes their buses out of the factory. MTA's b*tch Orion needs to get their rear in gear and start manufacturing rock solid buses like they used to (e.g. O5).

Why in NY for Buy New York clause? There main plant is in New Zealand and ship it to Charlotte, NC facility were its cheaper there for final assembly.... The problem is the buses that operated in the crappy NYC streets which FAILED miserable is causing the delay to deliver the buses.

Archived