Designline Eco-Saver IV Hybrid

Kingsbridge Bus

I finally rode it for the 2nd and 3rd time (caught 1302 & 1305 back to back on the M9 in the same day)...it gets my approval :tup:. In the rear of the bus, the windows act like arm rests and 1305 even sounds like an RTS when the driver pumps the brakes. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of headroom in the rear of the bus. I'm on 1305 right now as I post this and I even came up with a slogan for it...

DesignLine. The bus that smiles in your face before it runs you over :)

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice slogan...

I've only ever ridden 1302, and I thought it was a pretty good bus. Rode well, you do get those "armrests" like you said. Only thing... It makes the most insufferable high-pitched noise when the turbine (wait, what? in a bus?) is turned on. That'll take some getting used to. Still, not a bad bus.

Back to the slogan though, I'll bet the MTA gets a lawsuit over that. 'Cos when the Prius came out, right, there was all this commotion from the Blind Persons' Association (no idea what the actual name is) because the car was almost silent, so the blind couldn't hear the car while crossing the street.

Here come 90 completely silent (from the outside) Designlines, ready to hit the streets. How will anybody hear it? Somebody is going to sue...

Not completely quiet.

Nice slogan...

I've only ever ridden 1302, and I thought it was a pretty good bus. Rode well, you do get those "armrests" like you said. Only thing... It makes the most insufferable high-pitched noise when the turbine (wait, what? in a bus?) is turned on. That'll take some getting used to. Still, not a bad bus.

Back to the slogan though, I'll bet the MTA gets a lawsuit over that. 'Cos when the Prius came out, right, there was all this commotion from the Blind Persons' Association (no idea what the actual name is) because the car was almost silent, so the blind couldn't hear the car while crossing the street.

Here come 90 completely silent (from the outside) Designlines, ready to hit the streets. How will anybody hear it? Somebody is going to sue...

My only pet peeve is in the back. Once I step up there I have about 4 inches of headroom and that last step up in the rear seats, I always hit my head :) lol. The bus itself looks so streamlined, and when I was waiting for it again on Park Row, it sounded like it was gonna take off and fly away

• 2 weeks later...

Im sorry guys but in my opinion. I feel that this bus doesnt work for me. I am not as knowledgeable when in comes to whats inside the hood. I am just a fan of what I see and when i ride it. I dont find it attractive. I dont think its a very good looking bus. I rode 1302 on the M5 a few months ago. I was not impressed. I sat in the back and the ride was not as smooth as I thought. The lighting was good. As a fan of buses one thing That i loved was the looks. The comfortness, and of course the sound effects. These new hybrids that we have specially in NYC do not have any character. Its cool that it sounds like a plane but its a bus. No Transmission sound effects. I just feel that a bus like that is ment for an Airport shuttle or park and ride shuttles not for the NYC-MTA

Im sorry guys but in my opinion. I feel that this bus doesnt work for me. I am not as knowledgeable when in comes to whats inside the hood. I am just a fan of what I see and when i ride it. I dont find it attractive. I dont think its a very good looking bus. I rode 1302 on the M5 a few months ago. I was not impressed. I sat in the back and the ride was not as smooth as I thought. The lighting was good. As a fan of buses one thing That i loved was the looks. The comfortness, and of course the sound effects. These new hybrids that we have specially in NYC do not have any character. Its cool that it sounds like a plane but its a bus. No Transmission sound effects. I just feel that a bus like that is ment for an Airport shuttle or park and ride shuttles not for the NYC-MTA

Hybrids dont have transmissions....its regular hybridrive....whereas in the Designline's case, traction motors and inverters.

"[Diesel] fuel is pumped directly into the turbines..." Now that's crazy!

Not a big fan of the bus' face, though.

I missed this, and I am a little late here. On a side note, fuel is pumped directly into the combustion chamber. Turbines are blades that direct, and pressurize air flow through the engine.

Looking like 70-80 ECOSavers are to arrive somewhere between January 1st and January 30th, with that magic number of 70 still appearing to be the total for Manhattanville. Drivers are still being trained on the buses.

Only update I've got for now, let's see how everything plays out!

I am now being told that we will take deliver of all 90 buses.

Ok guys. I don't know whats going on exactly, but I heard we were originally supposed to be getting 6-7 buses next month. Not 70. I'm not sure as of right now how this will play out, or if thy increased the number. Something about testing a different type of turbine. I will try to confirm more soon.

Ok guys. I don't know whats going on exactly, but I heard we were originally supposed to be getting 6-7 buses next month. Not 70. I'm not sure as of right now how this will play out, or if thy increased the number. Something about testing a different type of turbine. I will try to confirm more soon.

They're changing it again? First it was the Capstone C30 (the one in the infamous RFK bridge fiasco"), and now the C65...what more could they want

They're changing it again? First it was the Capstone C30 (the one in the infamous RFK bridge fiasco"), and now the C65...what more could they want

The tests with the C65 seemed to be successful, as there were tests with 1304 & 1306 going over to Queens, and our own FamousNYer spotted 1304 in LGA's Central Terminal. So its a sign of SOME success.

In the depot....

Come on, ONE of these engines can make the bus go up the RFK!

Alright, try engine #136

:P

Yeah.sometime last yeah a Designline stalled heading up the RFK bridge incline.Some say it was the turbine that gave out.Others say the on-board computer failed.

Here's the only problem. The turbine has no connection to the drive wheels :P

The only thing the turbine does is charge the batteries.

Well, that very much goes against what I've heard, but I'll have to try to find out.

If I'm not mistaken Manhattanville operators were informed that about 70 buses would be arriving come January, hence the depot is in a mad rush to train everybody on the buses, since there should be some here soon.

I just heard last week that it looked like around 70 buses would be coming in, and that coincided with what I'd heard last month as well. It's possible there's been a change of plans or a delay in the order, but I'll have to find out. I wouldn't be surprised if a new turbine were in the works, however...

I'm not saying that you are wrong at all. Nor do I doubt it. We will definitely be getting more. I was told around 70, just like you were, then I heard around 7. So I don't know if 7 are going to come, then more, or all 70. You know anything is subject to change with the TA. I was just saying keep an eye open.

Here's the only problem. The turbine has no connection to the drive wheels ;)

The only thing the turbine does is charge the batteries.

Thus if that is the case,then the turbine going out wouldn`t power the batteries,which powers the motors in the drive wheels which helps the Diesel engine accelerate the bus up hills and roads with less fuel consumption!!!!*pant,pant,pant*B)

Archived