R160A-1's on the L line

Railfaner100

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just notice that on certain days the (L) train sometimes only run's one train set of R160A-1's and sometimes it dosen't run any R160A-1's at all on some days. What could be the cause of that problem?:confused:

I can think of 2 possible reasons...

1. The R160A's are put-ins

2. Normal car rotation (ie. take a set out and replace it with another set.) Can't have a set running for too long.

Why did the (NYCT) assign R160A-1's on the (L) line in mid 2007, when they already have a large number of R143's running on the route which is good enough for the (L) train?:confused:

Ridership grew on the line and there wasn't enough cars for the line to handle it.

Can you explain to me what do you mean by Ridership growth and by the line not having enough cars to handle it.:confused:

Everything in the city is costing an arm and a leg,people from Manhattan are moving to Williamsburg and bushwick.and find that there are apartments and houses that they can afford.at the same time,they'd want a place where they live close to a line that would take them to work.since so many people have moved from Mahattan,(L) trains have become so crowded that more trains are needed.that's one of the reasons why the (L) line needed more cars.

What happen to the R40s's, R40M's and R42's that they are no longer running on the (L) line any more?:cry:

R40s are retired, and the CBTC system is active and working on the (L). Since they have the cars that are ready, they're using the R143s & R160s. I do not think the non-NTTs are capable of communicating with the CBTC system, which might throw off the system. However, I do not know if this is true, it's just speculation.

Can you explain to me what do you mean by Ridership growth and by the line not having enough cars to handle it.:confused:

Ridership on the (L) line has grown so high over the past few years that the 212 R143 cars the (MTA) ordered (which included some extra trains for ridership growth) were not enough trains to provide enough service on the line. Because of this the (MTA) had 1 or 2 R42s on the line at the same time, which stopped the R143s from running in CBTC. That's why the R160s were put on the (L).

R40s are retired, and the CBTC system is active and working on the (L). Since they have the cars that are ready, they're using the R143s & R160s. I do not think the non-NTTs are capable of communicating with the CBTC system, which might throw off the system. However, I do not know if this is true, it's just speculation.

Any train that is not an R143 does not have CBTC installed (except for R160s 8313-8376) and cannot run in CBTC. They didn't want to put CBTC in the R42s that were running on the (L) since they'd be retired in the coming years.

Are the R160A-1's from the option 2 order going to be assigned for service on the (L) line with CBTC?:confused:

No, since they won't have CBTC.

What is the difference between the R143's and the R160A-1's on the (L) line?:)

From riding them this week, in terms of ATO, not much. They both seem to have the same speed, and make the same stopping maneuvers in the station. The R143s have a stationary strip map in its cars that only display the (L) line, and the R160s have a F.I.N.D. system that allows it be used on any route with the correct station stopping info. The R143s refer to the 8th Av terminal as "8 Av Manhattan," whereas the R160s refer to it as "8 Av-14 St." The R143s' announcements to Canarsie are "this is a Canarsie-bound (L) train," whereas the R160s is "this is a Rockaway Parkway-bound (L) train."

The interior signs (that display time, next stop, etc.) are black on the R160s and grey (I believe) on the R143s.

Finally, the R143s have Adtranz Propulsion and the R160s have Alstom Onix.

I think those are the differences, please correct any misinformation.

Are the R143's and the R160A-1's from the (L) train based out of the East New York yard or the Canarise yard?:(

Canarsie Yard is just a storage yard. The maintenance facility is East New York. So, they're all based out of ENY. Again correc if I'm wrong.

Sorry to get off topic, but was it possible for the (N) line to use the R160A-1's that the (J), (L), (M) and (Z) lines are currently using right now?:eek:
Yes and No. The R160A-1's were designed for (J)(L)(M)(Z) lines since they have shorter platforms.

Sorry to get off topic, but was it possible for the (N) line to use the R160A-1's that the (J), (L), (M) and (Z) lines are currently using right now?:eek:

It's definitely possible, but you would probably have a less than 1% chance of it happening on revenue service. The R160A-1s are basically R160As with 8 cars instead of the usual 10. You rarely see an 8 car train on the (N) line, whether it be 60 or 75 feet nowadays.

Archived