R44 Reef Cars

INDman

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats just sad! The first cars to bring an OVAL shaped car! R44 death so young young. These cars could of been in service now but they are being dumped to get more rust in them!

I gotta get my rides and vids before they go!

Thats just sad! The first cars to bring an OVAL shaped car! R44 death so young young. These cars could of been in service now but they are being dumped to get more rust in them!

I gotta get my rides and vids before they go!

Rust isn't an issue when they are underground. As long as they land normally on the ocean floor then they can be home to plenty of sea life. Even if they land and get flattened then they're home to just as much sea life of different kinds. So it's not like rusting on the ocean floor is a bad thing.

And you know why they decided to get rid of these cars. 37-39 years is not an early retirement considering they were built to last 35-40 years.

BTW, thanks INDman for these pics.

Wait, these weren't the cars that's been sitting in 207 on the junk track for almost 2 years already?

Nope, I think they were the ones that were held for the servey.

Also, I take it these cars have asbestos as well? Will R46s and R68s have to be reefed as well than to be scrapped when it is their time to go.

No, I don't think they have the magic mineral. It has not been decided how they are going to go but they have started to strip them.

Will R46s and R68s have to be reefed as well than to be scrapped when it is their time to go.

No answer yet. That will be determined when the time comes for those cars to go base on which option makes the most sense at that exact moment in time

Oic, thanks guys. If not for asbestos, I really think gutting the cars for the metal makes more sense than to just sink them in the ocean.

I was generally pissed the R32s were going to be reefed because they were mostly stainless steel and that should be valuable to maybe some 3rd world nation needing cheap metals to use - imo.

But here's the thing: Are all of them getting reefed, or just a few deemed unfit? And have the inspections been completed?

No official decision yet. Only speculation.

The official decision comes when the President of NYCT signs off on it. When? Maybe this month, maybe 5 years from now or whenever the next batch of cars are ordered and delivered..

Archived