R44 Reef Cars

INDman

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YES!!!!!! WOOT WOOT. I hated these. YES! THEY ARE GONE!

YA AND I HATE THE WAY YOU USE CAPSS TO lol

but idc, i still love R44 even if most of you hate em, plus i got some people love em too, unlike the hatas lol

Only thing now, is to keep track of the car numbers..

I'm in shock. I never doubted INDman and others here who've said the R44's were retiring because I had gotten the same information when 2010 began but when you see pics like what we have just seen, it's just the rubber meeting the road. It's kinda sad cause I loved the R44's from the time I first remember riding them when I was 5. Now as I'm almost 31, and I see that they are about to go bye-bye, it's sad but they lived a lot longer than many people thought they would. Any subway car that can hold a line like the (A) down gets serious props from me and they did the damn thing for many years. Yeah they were full of problems almost from the start but they've made it this long and that is a major accomplishment that should not go unnoticed by any railfan, whether you were a fan of these cars or not. I will enjoy them while they are still running and I will miss them when they are gone.

Major props to the R44!

R.I.P 5344. One of the greatest cars ever built for the NYC Subway in my opinion. "The R44 also set the world speed record for a subway car. On January 31, 1972, a consist reached a speed of 87.75 mph (141.2 km/h) on the Long Island Rail Road's main line between Woodside and Jamaica." - Wikipedia.

R.I.P 5344. One of the greatest cars ever built for the NYC Subway in my opinion. "The R44 also set the world speed record for a subway car. On January 31, 1972, a consist reached a speed of 87.75 mph (141.2 km/h) on the Long Island Rail Road's main line between Woodside and Jamaica." - Wikipedia.
Amen.:)

Hmmmm R-44s heading the scrapper, Hmmmmm Wow! Looks like someone was right . . .

I Knew About this since December, People thought That I was Full of it, But Its always fells good to be right, I Just Had that Gut feeling that they were going before december.

No problem, just glad to be able to put my money were my mouth is.

These are the first set of R44s to get scrapped due to the safety survey results.

How do you think I feel, Everybody was Crapping on us when we told them, Now they can look stupid.

How do you think I feel, Everybody was Crapping on us when we told them, Now they can look stupid.

Well im not under the stupid group, i did believe them. The thing i didnt believe was the R44s being sent to the (C) which was REALLY stupid

No. Those cars were stripped to give NYCT an indication of how good, or bad, the cars are holding up.

Just read a post from Train Dude that officially 5344 and mates as well as the other 4 (I believe 5290 + sisters) are now officially retired. No others.

They are hurling flames at each other on the subject. Due to appropriate moderation on this board, it will not come to that here. Which is the exact reason why I am not posting on SubChat. I will never say never, but I will stay away till at least 2 things happen: The new V is a done deal with the new schedules in effect ( so I can start posting around 7/4/10 why it isn't working the way the majority thought it would) and the R44 question being resolved one way or the other.

Archived