R44 Reef Cars

INDman

My Guess Mostlikely no because they didn't do anything Valuable.

Well they were the first 75-foot subway car so they may be saved for that and for that alone. Speaking of which, I saw R44 no. 488 at Coney Island Yard on the same track where the R40M/R42 mismatch pair is. That could be a hint, I don't know, I'm not even sure.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100%. It's not like they set a world speed record or anything, nor were they the first 75' cars with full-width cabs or the first cars since the BMT Green Hornets with the door chime. Man, R44s suck.

I disagree with you 100%. The fact that they were the first of the 75 foot cars is historic enough and for that 1 reason alone, they deserve to be remembered. IMHO, any subway car that runs in the NYC Transit System deserves to have at least 1 subway car preserved because it ran in the system, whether you liked them or not. Even if they were crappy, they should be remembered. They got you from Point A to point B, which is what ALL subway cars are supposed to do. Period.

Some of the R44s in Staten Island are A-A cars.

Correct... sort of. SIRT R44s are mechanically different from NYCTA R44s which were all link bared into 4 car sets. All SIRT R44s still have Ohio Brass couplers at both ends.

I disagree with you 100%. The fact that they were the first of the 75 foot cars is historic enough and for that 1 reason alone, they deserve to be remembered. IMHO, any subway car that runs in the NYC Transit System deserves to have at least 1 subway car preserved because it ran in the system, whether you liked them or not. Even if they were crappy, they should be remembered. They got you from Point A to point B, which is what ALL subway cars are supposed to do. Period.

I agree with you 100% and disagree with that dude u quoted.. Plus they are the first fleet with Bucket seats as well as being Oval shaped.. (In the side) and to introduce ABBA-ABBA.

Also if every car deserves preservation, i THINK the T/a needs another yard in the future, becuz theres too many cars being preserved limiting the capacity!

I heard that they are not saving any, But I hope they do, 5228,5229,5227,5226. should be saved, 5228/9 has stainless steel strips, I hate these cars but They should Save 4 and they did make history.

Correct... sort of. SIRT R44s are mechanically different from NYCTA R44s which were all link bared into 4 car sets. All SIRT R44s still have Ohio Brass couplers at both ends.

Yup...they can be classified as "singles", but typically speaking, the 'B' cars obviously need the 'A' cars to run.

Would they use em for Refuse? <AA>?

I doubt they will save a set, but they could since there is nothing really stopping the TA if thats what they wanted. I was saying that if a set is not saved, a last run of the R44s (an official NYTM trip) would be an idea.

I doubt they will save a set, but they could since there is nothing really stopping the TA if thats what they wanted. I was saying that if a set is not saved, a last run of the R44s (an official NYTM trip) would be an idea.

what would make the R44s last ride so "offical"?

Yup, plus they used to [don't know if they do so now] run 2-car trains late at night. So basically they have single units that can be arranged into any arrangements 2,3,or 4-car trains.

Yup, plus they used to [don't know if they do so now] run 2-car trains late at night. So basically they have single units that can be arranged into any arrangements 2,3,or 4-car trains.

During rush hours, SIR can run as much as 5 cars, from what I've heard.

Interesting, I would have to guess it'd be those express runs as most of those platforms can hold at least 4-cars [not counting the 2 stations that holds only 3?-Nassau and 1-Atlantic cars].

I heard that they are not saving any, But I hope they do, 5228,5229,5227,5226. should be saved, 5228/9 has stainless steel strips, I hate these cars but They should Save 4 and they did make history.

I remember seeing those 2 cars. Yes, at least they should save 5228 as one of the A cars. I'm not sure if the R44 and R46s are compatible, but maybe they can save 5228/9 and an R46 AA set and run that as a 4-car train?

Interesting, I would have to guess it'd be those express runs as most of those platforms can hold at least 4-cars [not counting the 2 stations that holds only 3-Nassau and 1-Atlantic cars].

Yeah, the train lengths are longer for the express runs during rush hours--non-stop from Saint George to Great Kills, and vice-versa. Local trains terminate at Great Kills while the express trains continue on to Tottenville.

I remember seeing those 2 cars. Yes, at least they should save 5228 as one of the A cars. I'm not sure if the R44 and R46s are compatable, but maybe they can save 5228/9 and an R46 AA set and run that as a 4-car train?

R44s and R46s cant run together...different propulsion systems and horsepower are some of the reasons. And R44s will blow out R46's motors.

Archived