R44 Reef Cars

INDman

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R68As and R68s can run together, even in service, and have fairly regularly in the past, especially from 1999-2001 in B and N line service.

While you may be entirely correct with regards to the R44 propulsion, they never tested such. I believe the brake lines have different pressures, so such a mating could not run together.

R68As and R68s can run together, even in service, and have fairly regularly in the past, especially from 1999-2001 in B and N line service.

Are you sure? With the delay in the R68As braking, it'd be more likely to see the two cars hook up in a yard move. It would seem more likely that they two could have hooked up and run fine if the MTA never made any adjustments to the 68As' braking response.

While you may be entirely correct with regards to the R44 propulsion, they never tested such. I believe the brake lines have different pressures, so such a mating could not run together.

Okay then.

68s and 68As can't run together either...lol. The delay in the R68As braking is the sole reason why.

They technically "can" run together, but the delay in braking is why it doesn't work very well, so you won't see it run in service. However if you couple them eletrically, air, and mechanically, the set WILL work, and it will do everything it's supposed to do, it just won't do it very well...(ie rough stops)

R44s and R46s cant run together...different propulsion systems and horsepower are some of the reasons. And R44s will blow out R46's motors.

R44's and R46's cannot run together because their brake pipes charge to different pressures (R44 = 130 lbs. R46 = 110 lbs.) Without a uniform trainline brake pipe pressure, trains cannot run together.

The last time I was on an R68/R68A mix in service would have been in late 2000-early 2001(B line prior to the North side Manhattan Bridge closure), so I can't remember that well how it ran, but the fact that I do not recall such would tend to make me think that it was not that rough when it stopped.

The last time I was on an R68/R68A mix in service would have been in late 2000-early 2001(B line prior to the North side Manhattan Bridge closure), so I can't remember that well how it ran, but the fact that I do not recall such would tend to make me think that it was not that rough when it stopped.

That was an oversimplification for the buffs. It wouldn't be that "rough" of a ride of course, but it would lead to a lot of bucking and slop on the couplers if the braking effort were not uniform throughout the train. Not to mention the operator would notice the difference in making his stops if half the train reacted almost immediately to him grabbing brake vs. the whole train.

Like I said it's possible, can be, and has been done before, but a lot of the buffs just want to know what if thinking it would be something that's cool to see. But both trains perform better in uniform sets, so why not just leave them that way? Which is of course what's happened.

That was an oversimplification for the buffs. It wouldn't be that "rough" of a ride of course, but it would lead to a lot of bucking and slop on the couplers if the braking effort were not uniform throughout the train. Not to mention the operator would notice the difference in making his stops if half the train reacted almost immediately to him grabbing brake vs. the whole train.

Like I said it's possible, can be, and has been done before, but a lot of the buffs just want to know what if thinking it would be something that's cool to see. But both trains perform better in uniform sets, so why not just leave them that way? Which is of course what's happened.

The same would go for the R62s and R62As as well, right?

Oh of course - leave them separate. However, I was kind of wondering about running them together when sets are saved for the museum when it normally would not run very often. Otherwise you'll have basically individual cars running than a 'full train' - like the R9s or in the future the R32-42 group.

wow idk why,when i hate the subway cars like R38,sometimes i wish it would be gone.but now that its gone,it turns out it wasnt a bad subway car,i actually missed it,and wish it would come back.now im feeling bad for the R44.i guess you dont know how valuable somethig is until its gone.

heh talking about the old days..

When i was young and the R110As were in testing, i saw one at 14th street with the doors opening to the oppsitside of the platform and i thought it was some robot trying to take over the system Lol!

Use to thought also that the R44 were the R110Bs and thought the Redbirds were the new fleet in the system...

Man lots of memories...

My friend heard something from a T/O that works out of 207th Street...the R44s may be scrapped alone and not reefed because of the high level of toxicity in the cars (e.g. too much asbestos). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I saw another OOS R44 heading uptown at Jay Street yesterday evening at 8:20 in the evening. I'll have a video of it up here later today as I don't know if the train will be seeing the scrap line or not (it wouldn't make sense to deadhead the train at 207th because the train is not based out of 207th).

I caught R44 SIRTOA #402 at 207th on Friday already being scrapped. Wonder when the R46 SIRs are heading down there.

wi6laf.jpg

Since 402 was involved in a collision, the folks at this board should not make any correlation between this and the probable retirement of the entire R44 fleet........but..........I did get an Email yesterday of the following R44's (other than the original 8 that were the ones evaluated) are now out of service/retired and will be scrapped/reefed: 5238-41, 5418-21 and 5450-53.

My friend heard something from a T/O that works out of 207th Street...the R44s may be scrapped alone and not reefed because of the high level of toxicity in the cars (e.g. too much asbestos). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I saw another OOS R44 heading uptown at Jay Street yesterday evening at 8:20 in the evening. I'll have a video of it up here later today as I don't know if the train will be seeing the scrap line or not (it wouldn't make sense to deadhead the train at 207th because the train is not based out of 207th).

R44's have headed uptown o/s service for years for reasons like needing a train uptown to "balance" the car count at both ends of the line, for the wash, for the main shop, for any number of reasons.

As you say now there is now a new reason: last one way trip to retirement.

Gee, I never liked working the A line because I never liked the cramped R44 cabs. Is the A line in my future? I don't care for this new tech stuff. I am old school. My grandfather always said: "you can't teach an old dog new tricks!"

R44's have headed uptown o/s service for years for reasons like needing a train uptown to "balance" the car count at both ends of the line, for the wash, for the main shop, for any number of reasons.

As you say now there is now a new reason: last one way trip to retirement.

Gee, I never liked working the A line because I never liked the cramped R44 cabs. Is the A line in my future? I don't care for this new tech stuff. I am old school. My grandfather always said: "you can't teach an old dog new tricks!"

Thanks BfM for the first point. And hey, wanna work the (A)? COME ON DOWN! See ya at Utica Avenue :)

When it does come time for them to leave the property after being stripped, the R44s do not fit around back on the tracks near the barge or into Linden Shop. The options on what to do are kinda limited then. Also I have heard that they found that "magic" mineral in them which complicates matters.

Archived