Please Help me Understand a few things

Hi,

I'm new to this site and new to the Train hobby. I started looking around and reading a little and I think I'm starting to understand the diference between the scales. I like the smaller scales, kinda cute but me and my 9 year old who I will officaly be doing this with both felt that the Lionel and O gauge are for us. It just looks real. Tha's how we felt. What do ya guys think? makes sence?

So I think once we decide we want to go with Linonel/O scale etc.., I wan't to know how to start. First I need to understand will MTH/ O SCALE MATCH WITH LlIONEL? I do have a great shop minutes a way from me. Which we went there and looked. It could get kinds confusing seeing so many nice things. The thing is, some say the first thing is buy a set, and then stat buying add ons. But if I know what route I wan to take why dont I just get to understand the loopes a little better and get to it right away. I'm not saying the shop is not the way to go. I'm sure some people wished they had a shop like this a few minutes from there house. I could star there and then start dealing with sites or private guys on here or other sites etc...

One of my ain questions to you guys is, from your experience as NYC train collectors. I really like old fation stuff and love old those videos and models with moutains and coutry sides with localmotives and coal trains but it gets kind of confusing to really what I'm getting, Personeally I feeel when it comes to that I can buy some cheaper close out's and i'd be happy.

What really interestes me right now is The trains from my era and maybe as I learn the trade see what was there before I came to town "1974".

I recognise most of the trains from my times but really don't understand How to shop for them and what I'm really thinking about is how can I make a set up from it? I am thinking it would be so much easier to makr an old fasion set up and trains that would make sence then up todate. I see most miniture and props would match the older trains rather then city. I did find these that I think would be cool in a model http://www.collect-corner.net/30-90101.jpg and maybe some older and newer city buses laying around at a depot. I'm curios how your set ups look with all the traind from the last 4 5 decades/

And if anyone can please advise me of great place to shop or start a track set up or collection set up. I would apriciate it. Are all these O scale train lionel and MTH all compatable? I spoke to one guy that is will to try to get be good prices but he said I need to tell him what I want.

One more thing, Dose anyone have a list of all the trains in order since trains started I think in 190o's somthing?? and maybe the trollies and if they are for sale? not that I'm buying all now but to get an idea. which onse to get.

zThanks, and sorry for the lond ride..

excuse me, hold the door I'm Getting off getting offf,

Well if you want to start old school here we go...

to help explain the numbers they stand for the wheel arrangements

the first number is the lead wheels

the second number is the drive wheels

the last number is the trailer wheels

4-4-0 general one of the oldest steam locomotives

4-6-0 similar to the general with an extra pair of drive wheels under the motormans cab

4-4-2 similar to the general with an extra pair of trailer wheels under the motormans cab

4-6-2 larger boiler than the previous three and extra pair of drive wheels

4-6-4 similar but with an extra pair of trailer wheels

4-8-4 larger but with an extra pair of drive wheels

2-8-2 as long but with four pairs of drive wheels

2-8-8-2 one pair lead 4 pair drive, 4 pair drive 1 pair trailer

2-6-6-2 1 pair lead 3 pair drive 3 pair drive 1 pair trailer

4-6-6-4 2 pair lead 3 pair drive 3 pair drive 2 pair trailer

4-8-8-4 2 pair lead 4 pair drive 4 pair drive 2 pair trailer

2-6-6-6 1 pair lead 3 pair drive 3 pair drive 3 pair drive

This covers most of the steam engine basics now styles thats a different story...

This should help you get started I have a huge collection of many different trains diesel, steam, & subway. Just let me know if you need any more info. I'll get around to your questions eventually. I work 6 days a week as a NYC yellow cab driver so time is tough but I'll get back to you. By the way check my videos at youtube. Look under aalamo12 videos and you will see part of my collection. Oh yeah, MTH, Lionel, Atlas O, and K-Line all run on the same track whatever it is as long as it is O/O27 scale. Good luck with your project...

Thanks for your help and input I didn't start my track layout yet but ill mosts likly go with atlas o track I started shoping and picked up two nyc train sets. The R12 yellow work train set for $219.99 and the R142 for $377.99. I need to get more familyer with the models and pricing, so I started with the lower priced. I just saw this on ebay. Can u tell what model this is?

Please put a search on ebay it will come up.

?

MTH TRAIN NEW YORK CITY POWERED SUBWAY CAR 5803

If you know of any other nyc train sets that are fearly price please give me a buzz.

I was at train world on friday where I got my sets they had a lionel steam engine for $49.99 with horn sounds. All it said on it is lionel. He said its a close out. Wasn't sure if its interesting for that price to start if I want it to pull other cars if I decide to put togeather one rail roa set?

All the best

Jack

Archived