Purpose and success of Express bus routes

keysersoze

Looking at the Brooklyn Bus Map yesterday I was wondering about all the Express bus lines operating to Downtown and Midtown Manhattan.

E.g., the X27 and X37 basically operate on a 3-minute headway between 7am and 8am Manhattan-bound (which is basically better service than the R subway). Same for the X28 and X38 from Bensonhurst, also a 3-minute headway.

So, are these buses actually heavily used by commuters? And if so, why do commuters go for the Express buses instead of the subway? Is it the feeling of exclusiveness on these buses, the more comfortable seats, more privacy in comparison to the subway ride, the headways during rush hours?

Also I've seen a couple of express bus lines to and from SI that even operate weekends and late evenings! How heavily are these buses used?

Subways only can carry but so much, and can run but so much, so Express buses are needed during the rush hour, for Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and some of Brooklyn. There are spots that Spring Creek Depot (BM lines) serves that are not accessible by train, without using the local bus to get to. Staten Island is IMO, the only Borough that needs Express bus service, as they have limited options to get into Manhattan. That is why they run so late going there. As for the Bronx Express buses, IMO they do not have enough ridership, to run off-peak. most of them waste fuel with 10 or less people on them off peak. The MTA should really look into this, and possibly have them run rush-hour only, in the peak direction.

But then again, Riverdale residents have to much money, power, and political clout, to let this happen......

On express routes, people go for them for the comfort that is provided, especially on the MCIs.

Very true. I can sleep for hours on those buses. However I miss the Orion 100 Series out of Yukon.. Oh man, I used to love those; those are still my favorite buses. I believe they're on the X90 now. I miss the engine noise when they accelerated before they enhanced the sound.

Thanks everybody, so I see commuters mainly go for the comfort of the buses. Which I totally can understand, they look comfortable even from the outside!

As for SI, they are also giving commuters a one-seat ride into Manhattan, while commuters would have to change twice when using SIRT/SI Ferry/Subway.

And as a nice side effect, these lines can also help with easing congestion on the subway.

Are there any "best picture spots" where lots of MCI coaches can be photgraphed in a short time during AM/PM rush? I'm looking for an urban Midtown setting as well as a suburban-like setting, probably on SI (along Hylan Blvd?)

The best place for photos of the MCI's would have to be 23rd Street between Madison Ave. and First Ave., 57th street between Madison Ave. and 3rd Ave., 6th Ave. betwwen 34th Street and 57 Street, Madison Av between 23rd street and 57th Street during the morning rush, 5th Ave between 23rd Street and 57th Street during the PM rush.

MCI buses aren't all that hot at MTA.......it's rare for me to ride it,because I don't want to waste my 5 to ride a Boring MCI..... I'm thankful the Orion V cng are still running on the exprees line.if the MTA add some jack brake on it then my opinion will be different for the MCI.

The best place for photos of the MCI's would have to be 23rd Street between Madison Ave. and First Ave., 57th street between Madison Ave. and 3rd Ave., 6th Ave. betwwen 34th Street and 57 Street, Madison Av between 23rd street and 57th Street during the morning rush, 5th Ave between 23rd Street and 57th Street during the PM rush.

a another spot will be at battery park city.

Are there any "best picture spots" where lots of MCI coaches can be photgraphed in a short time during AM/PM rush? I'm looking for an urban Midtown setting as well as a suburban-like setting, probably on SI (along Hylan Blvd?)
Route 440 in Bayonne! Take HBLR to 34th Street, or S89, then stand at the corner and shoot away.

Archived