Red Hook residents hail bus plan

Trainspotter

Red Hook residents hail bus plan

Public transportation-challenged Red Hook residents may finally be getting an easier ride.

Two proposed MTA bus route extensions from Brooklyn to Manhattan would end some of the isolation for Red Hook residents.

"I think it'll help tremendously in the long overdue revitalization of Red Hook," said community activist John McGettrick. "The closest train is at least a mile away. It definitely has increased the sense of isolation."

The much-anticipated plan would extend the B77 and the B71 buses from Brooklyn to South Ferry in Manhattan via the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

The route extensions could materialize as early as September. The plan will come up for financial review in April, said city Transit Authority spokesman Charles Seaton.

It would provide alternative routing for people affected by the reconstruction of the Gowanus Viaduct, which is scheduled to start this year and will prompt closings of the Fourth Ave. and Smith and 9th St. stations on the F and G trains, Seaton said.

The B77 bus runs from Park Slope to Red Hook and the B71, which has a low ridership, runs from Crown Heights to Cobble Hill.

"Any enhancement or extension in service will boost ridership," Seaton predicted.

Red Hook commuter Michael Kowalski said he can't wait for the plan to go into effect. A bus straight from Red Hook would cut down his travel time to Manhattan from more than an hour to 15 minutes.

"It's very hard to get to the office at 9a.m. unless you leave at 6:30 in the morning," said Kowalski, 57, who works as a risk project manager on Wall Street.

"There's no way we can rely on public transportation, which cuts down a whole constellation of activities," he said.

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 6, 2008

I used to take the B77 from “the back” of Red hook to Court Street and then take the (4) or (5) to Wall Street. All in all, the commute was 40-45 minutes. I actually preferred commuting to Lower Manhattan from Red hook than Sunset Park because it was a quicker ride.

I think what makes the commute longer is taking the B77 to Smith and 9th instead of transferring at Court Street. I honestly don’t see how a commute from Red hook to Wall Street can take longer than one hour, but a better route is always appreciated…

What financial review do they need. If they extend it the ridership will come, especially if it cuts their commute time in half or better, and gives then a one seat ride. September is to long to do this. It should start by the 1st of next month.....

I honestly don’t see how a commute from Red hook to Wall Street can take longer than one hour, but a better route is always appreciated…

I agree more than an hour but this guy is talking about 2 and half hours from red hooks to lower manhattan. I could see 1 hour and a half tops.

Archived