Subway Update

R32 3838

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they really wanna save money send all (A) to the Rockaways and send the (C) to lefferts.

As much as I'd like something like this to happen it'll piss off Lefferts Boulevard riders who want express service without having to transfer. On a weekend I would see this working and all the (A)s could head out to Far Rock without having to wait 15-20 minutes for a train to leave.

I'd say its very unlikely that R32s would be assigned to the (F). It would have to be an emergency to see an R32 on the (E) or (F) lines. Jamaica looks like its R160/R46, with the R160 being most of the (F) line and all of the (E) line.

Jamica Is Mostlikely going to assign their R32's to the (F) or (R) lines,and the rest of the R32's will stay at 207th st yard for (C) service and ITS STAYING 8 Cars.

I'd say its very unlikely that R32s would be assigned to the (F). It would have to be an emergency to see an R32 on the (E) or (F) lines. Jamaica looks like its R160/R46, with the R160 being most of the (F) line and all of the (E) line.

It would most likely be assigned during rush hours in case an R160/R46 set is defunct or just be an extra.

They will Have No choice, The (F) and (R) is goiong to be the only 2 lines that can use the R32's, You can't put them on the (M), I don't think they want them back on the (E), The (F) & (R) are the only 2 lines that They have, and they have to decide on what lines they can run them on, I think they are going to run them on both (F)/® in the outrun, The (F)/® shares their equipment, R46's and (pre-July 2009 the R32's/42's) (Pre-2008 R32's) and they usauly lay them up at Parsons on the Northbound EXP track.

The (F) isnt going to run 32s the genral; manager from the QB lines wont allow the (F) will be 100 percent 160s right now the only time you see an 46 on the (F) is rush hour and i would guess its only like 3 or 4 and why cant the (M) run 8 car 32s

That will COST them money!

It will increase crew costs becasue it will make the workday/cab time longer!

How kan it increase U dont have to change that many crews if u have All (A) going to the Rockaways. At 207th u Either go to RKWY Park or MOTT Av right now u got wait every 3rd train. That why u change so many crew u got 3 end points on one line that a waste of money.

How kan it increase U dont have to change that many crews if u have All (A) going to the Rockaways. At 207th u Either go to RKWY Park or MOTT Av right now u got wait every 3rd train. That why u change so many crew u got 3 end points on one line that a waste of money.

Currently A crews generally make one round trip to Lefferts and one round trip to Far Rockaway. It takes at least 8 hours to do that. If both trips are to/from Far Rock, it takes more than 8 hours. Don't be a slave driver. They are entitled to a break at the end of the line and lunch. Some crews have put-ins or layups on their jobs too. They would need more trainsets too as you are sending a former Lefferts train to the Rock. this costs more $$$$$$.

C Line: Most jobs have either a put in on the front or lay up at the end, these do 2 round trips. Some jobs do 3 round trips. This takes much more time to do, more than 8 hours. Again, they are entitled to breaks and lunch! If they go to Lefferts, no way can they do 3 round trips, they can do only 2 and more crews have to be hired to take care of the former 3rd trip. Extending the C to Lefferts requires more trainsets. This costs $$$$$$$$$.

The only talk about the C going to Lefferts has been on rail fan sites for years, Lefferts customers will not go for losing a one seat express ride in exchange for more service. NYCT is has no $$$$$$$$$, they are cutting service. They certainly aren't adding A's and C's.

The (F) isnt going to run 32s the genral; manager from the QB lines wont allow the (F) will be 100 percent 160s right now the only time you see an 46 on the (F) is rush hour and i would guess its only like 3 or 4 and why cant the (M) run 8 car 32s

The new (M) won't be able to use 8-car R32s (or even 42s for that matter) because they don't have the signs for it, and it would be pointless for the signs to be updated just so those cars can use them. Like BfM said, the new (M) will be a showcase line so they want it to be appealing by letting it use 100% 160s, just like the (V) when it debuted; they gave it all-R46s.

And don't be surprised if they decide to slip in a 32 on the (F). They already did it for the (E) and it shouldn't be a big deal.

Currently A crews generally make one round trip to Lefferts and one round trip to Far Rockaway. It takes at least 8 hours to do that. If both trips are to/from Far Rock, it takes more than 8 hours. Don't be a slave driver. They are entitled to a break at the end of the line and lunch. Some crews have put-ins or layups on their jobs too. They would need more trainsets too as you are sending a former Lefferts train to the Rock. this costs more $$$$$$.

C Line: Most jobs have either a put in on the front or lay up at the end, these do 2 round trips. Some jobs do 3 round trips. This takes much more time to do, more than 8 hours. Again, they are entitled to breaks and lunch! If they go to Lefferts, no way can they do 3 round trips, they can do only 2 and more crews have to be hired to take care of the former 3rd trip. Extending the C to Lefferts requires more trainsets. This costs $$$$$$$$$.

The only talk about the C going to Lefferts has been on rail fan sites for years, Lefferts customers will not go for losing a one seat express ride in exchange for more service. NYCT is has no $$$$$$$$$, they are cutting service. They certainly aren't adding A's and C's.

Okay that makes sense. I see the situation now. Thanks for explaining.

With no Lefferts Service on those (A) u use those extra as (C) with it being 10-car u can interline there trips. If that the problem good example the (2) & (5) MTA makes it harder by stoping the (C) @ euclid and have it a 8-car train. If both Fulton lines were 10-Car u can Send (A) as (C) when need and (C) as (A). without going over 8 hours work smarter not harder.

The new (M) won't be able to use 8-car R32s (or even 42s for that matter) because they don't have the signs for it, and it would be pointless for the signs to be updated just so those cars can use them. Like BfM said, the new (M) will be a showcase line so they want it to be appealing by letting it use 100% 160s, just like the (V) when it debuted; they gave it all-R46s.

And don't be surprised if they decide to slip in a 32 on the (F). They already did it for the (E) and it shouldn't be a big deal.

The R32s can run on the (M) since their conductor position is in the 4/4 alignment (IDK how to phrase it) rather than the 5/3 alignment used on an 8-car R42. The R160s also use 4/4 alignment. However ENY is getting 4 extra sets of R160s which is enough to cover the new (M) line. If they need more trains as spares then they can reactivate the 14 R42's at 207th St. Yard. I think the new (M) will be all R160 as they can always take the R160s from the (J)/(Z) lines.

With no Lefferts Service on those (A) u use those extra as (C) with it being 10-car u can interline there trips. If that the problem good example the (2) & (5) MTA makes it harder by stoping the (C) @ euclid and have it a 8-car train. If both Fulton lines were 10-Car u can Send (A) as (C) when need and (C) as (A). without going over 8 hours work smarter not harder.

If someone can translate the above, I'd appreciate it.

My friend saw the two trains of R44s at Concourse Yard. The two north motors are 5334 and 5324. South motor car numbers weren't visible from where he was standing.

They are going Bye-Bye, They are done, They are on death Row, There are more than 24 of them there, I was there today.

The (M) can Use the R32's, But they are not going to be assigned to the (M), The (M) will be 100% R160's, Meaning the R42's are going to stay on the (J)/(Z), the 14 cars will be in service as soon as the summer (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

Like I said Before, They are going to change the car assignments in Queens again (when the cuts take place) and plus the General Managers are getting layed-off so, Things will change again.

They are going Bye-Bye, They are done, They are on death Row, There are more than 24 of them there, I was there today.

The (M) can Use the R32's, But they are not going to be assigned to the (M), The (M) will be 100% R160's, Meaning the R42's are going to stay on the (J)/(Z), the 14 cars will be in service as soon as the summer (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

Like I said Before, They are going to change the car assignments in Queens again (when the cuts take place) and plus the General Managers are getting layed-off so, Things will change again.

Yep,your 100% right there are other rollsigns on the R32 for the (M) but it won't be a problem people will just have to listen to announcements you can't depend on the signs 100% of the time b\c it may not be working such as the FINDS sometimes they're frozen even stripmaps but I agree the new M will be 100% 8car 160's.Those extra sets of 32's will most likely be assigned to the (F) or (R) during rush hrs b\c the (E) riders complain 2 much anyways(no offense).

I don't see what you are trying to say. If the (C) were extended to Lefferts, it wouldn't share a terminal with the (A) at either end.

The only thing that is beneficial is that if you are at 207th Street and you need a (C) train to be in service down at 168th Street, you can send a train out as a (C) and if you need an (A) train to be in service, you can send it out as an (A). That doesn't save on crew costs though.

However, if you need a (C) train at Lefferts Boulevard, you can't send an (A) train from Far Rockaway all the way up to Lefferts to fill the gap. By that time, the next (C) will have come in.

The reason why the (C) to Lefferts won't work with the current number of crews/trainsets is because in order to extend the (C), you need some sets from the (A). Lets say that those sets would come from the (A) that currently goes to Lefferts.

Now the remaining sets go to Far Rockaway, but although Rockway service is increased, mainline (207th-Rockway Blvd) service is decreased because you need more sets to run the 31 miles to Far Rockaway than to run the 27 (I'm not sure how many, but it is definitely fewer miles than Far Rockway) miles to Lefferts.

Let me put it to you this way. According to this website: http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2009-09-14a.html

the (A) runs 38 trainsets and the (C) runs 18 trainsets. In order to extend to Lefferts, the (C) needs, lets say 2 more trainsets. Now the (A) is down to 36 trainsets that it has. All of those trains can't run to Far Rockaway, so that means that there would be lets say 4-5 fewer trains on the Far Rockway (A), bringing the number of trains on the mainline down to 31-32 trainsets down from 38 trainsets, taking service away from the majority of (A) riders.

I don't see what you are trying to say. If the (C) were extended to Lefferts, it wouldn't share a terminal with the (A) at either end.

The only thing that is beneficial is that if you are at 207th Street and you need a (C) train to be in service down at 168th Street, you can send a train out as a (C) and if you need an (A) train to be in service, you can send it out as an (A). That doesn't save on crew costs though.

However, if you need a (C) train at Lefferts Boulevard, you can't send an (A) train from Far Rockaway all the way up to Lefferts to fill the gap. By that time, the next (C) will have come in.

The reason why the (C) to Lefferts won't work with the current number of crews/trainsets is because in order to extend the (C), you need some sets from the (A). Lets say that those sets would come from the (A) that currently goes to Lefferts.

Now the remaining sets go to Far Rockaway, but although Rockway service is increased, mainline (207th-Rockway Blvd) service is decreased because you need more sets to run the 31 miles to Far Rockaway than to run the 27 (I'm not sure how many, but it is definitely fewer miles than Far Rockway) miles to Lefferts.

Let me put it to you this way. According to this website: http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2009-09-14a.html

the (A) runs 38 trainsets and the (C) runs 18 trainsets. In order to extend to Lefferts, the (C) needs, lets say 2 more trainsets. Now the (A) is down to 36 trainsets that it has. All of those trains can't run to Far Rockaway, so that means that there would be lets say 4-5 fewer trains on the Far Rockway (A), bringing the number of trains on the mainline down to 31-32 trainsets down from 38 trainsets, taking service away from the majority of (A) riders.

Some of those (A) trains could turn at Lefferts.

Some of those (A) trains could turn at Lefferts.

The Main Line Would still have 30+ trains to 8 Av Which Still Has 3 other lines it shares track with Outside the (C). Its less switching Local Goes to Lefferts Express to the Rockaways with the (A) full time to the Rockaway no need for the (S). everybody kant have there cake and eat it to u wait @ most 2 extra minutes over 8-10 Wait for the next lefferts (A).

yea but the new (M) cant use the 160s from the (F) anyway they are five car sets and the (M) needs four car sets and they cant take any 46s from the (F) because the (M) cant use 75 foot cars so whats your point. What the new (M) uses doesnt affect the (F) trainsets the equipment the lines use is uncomaptible.

yea but the new (M) cant use the 160s from the (F) anyway they are five car sets and the (M) needs four car sets and they cant take any 46s from the (F) because the (M) cant use 75 foot cars so whats your point. What the new (M) uses doesnt affect the (F) trainsets the equipment the lines use is uncomaptible.

Um...I know that.

Archived