Subway Update

R32 3838

Does anyone know when the (G) will go to the Coney Island Yard. Will the (G) lose its 46s and use the 68s and 68as the (Q) will lose when they get the 160s from the (W) when the (W) cease to exist.

The (G) will most likely not go to Coney Island Yard until after the Culver Viaduct project is done, which would be after 2015.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the (MTA) going to purchase more R160A's and R160B's for the (R) train? I heard that Jamaica yard will be losing more R46's from the (R) line, meaning the R train will also become 100% R160, like the (E) and (F) lines.:confused:

The MTA is NOT ordering any more R160s! Option 3 is dead. And again, the plan was never to make the (F) 100% 160s, even when the last of the 160s come into Jamaica. Back in December the (R) would have received 160s and would be half and half, meaning that half of the 160s that are on the (F) would go to the (R).

Is the (MTA) going to purchase more R160A's and R160B's for the (R) train? I heard that Jamaica yard will be losing more R46's from the (R) line, meaning the R train will also become 100% R160, like the (E) and (F) lines.:confused:

No, Options I and II for the orders have been taken. We're about to start receiving our last batch of R-160s which will be R-160A-1s and will be assigned to East New York which is NOT retire the remaining R-42 cars but will push them to another yard (Last report was Pitkin, but like we change our underwear daily, the MTA changes its mind daily).

The next three orders of trains (R179s, R188s and R195s) will start taking care of other equipment. The R-195s are YEARS away, we're talking like 2020 at the ABSOLUTE earliest. The R-179s are the next B division cars which will kill off the remaining R-32s, R-42s and R-44s, again we're at MINIMUM 2-3 years away from seeing that order come to fruition. Between Car Equipment and Budgeting's back and forth about the car length and what not, there has been very little movement towards actually signing a contract for these cars. The R-188s are suppose to be the cars that will allow 11-Car R-142s to operate on the (7), however there has been VERY little talk about these cars. I did hear an initial report of a R-142A to be tried on the (7) (AGAIN) this summer, the last time this happened the train got stuck in the Steinway tube, SMH.

No, Options I and II for the orders have been taken. We're about to start receiving our last batch of R-160s which will be R-160A-1s and will be assigned to East New York which is NOT retire the remaining R-42 cars but will push them to another yard (Last report was Pitkin, but like we change our underwear daily, the MTA changes its mind daily).

The next three orders of trains (R179s, R188s and R195s) will start taking care of other equipment. The R-195s are YEARS away, we're talking like 2020 at the ABSOLUTE earliest. The R-179s are the next B division cars which will kill off the remaining R-32s, R-42s and R-44s, again we're at MINIMUM 2-3 years away from seeing that order come to fruition. Between Car Equipment and Budgeting's back and forth about the car length and what not, there has been very little movement towards actually signing a contract for these cars. The R-188s are suppose to be the cars that will allow 11-Car R-142s to operate on the (7), however there has been VERY little talk about these cars. I did hear an initial report of a R-142A to be tried on the (7) (AGAIN) this summer, the last time this happened the train got stuck in the Steinway tube, SMH.

Thank you for all your knowledge.

The next three orders of trains (R179s, R188s and R195s) will start taking care of other equipment. The R-195s are YEARS away, we're talking like 2020 at the ABSOLUTE earliest. The R-179s are the next B division cars which will kill off the remaining R-32s, R-42s and R-44s, again we're are at MINIMUM 2-3 years away from seeing that order come to fruition. The R-188s are suppose to be the cars that will allow 11-Car R-142s to operate on the (7), however there has been VERY little talk about these cars. I did hear an initial report of a R-142A to be tried on the (7) (AGAIN) this summer, the last time this happened the train got stuck in the Steinway tube, SMH.

R195?!?!?! Provide more info on this when you can...what cars are those supposed to replace?

And as a matter of fact, the R42s that are at East New York will have to stay at East New York for the (J) and the (Z) because the 160s that will come in will have to be used by the new (M) especially during rush hours.

And the problem with the R142As on the (7) is that the rooflines are too round...one set came out of the tube and it was scratched up like crazy.

Actually, Jamaica Yard already has enough sets to operate 100% R-160 Sets on the (F) as on March 15th, 2010, the (F) line ran with 100% R-160s. The plan is to have the (F) go 100% R-160 (which is subject to change as operation desire), which its suppose to be by weeks end, with the remaining R-160 sets (4-5 sets) to operate between the (R) and (V) lines.

Trust Me, They are not going to run 4-5 sets on the (R) or (V), If they decide to run them on the Local Lines, I was there when they were trainning the ®/(V) crews for the R160's, They will be more than 5 trainsets, I Know Numerous People that work down there, and seeing Pissed off (R) crews gives it away and plus they want them on the (G) for OPTO, Yesterday there was 1-3 R46's on the (F), Yes There was a plain to make it 100% R160's but if they put the R160's on the (R), You WILL SEE MORE than 50 Cars, Plus Jamaica is getting More R32's 20 from 207th and the 10 car R32's back from Coney Island, This will take place in the summer. Jamaica will have to decide what to do with the 26 + 30= 56 R32 cars, A TSS that work down there told me that they are pushing for them on the New (M) service but I dobut that (unless the TSS is right), In Paper the (M) is slated to be 100% R160's.

ALSO The A-A R46's ARE NOT MOTHBALLED, I saw a A-A set on the (A) this Afternoon.

And There was No Report of R42's going back to Pitkin, The Original Plan was Coney Island.

R44s will be gone before R179s are here.

As posted by the Yard Dispatcher for Pitkin, the R-44s will be sidelined/storaged at rate of 40 Cars a month, not scrapped. So officially, the R-44s will still be around and can be re-activated as needed. Officially scrapping R-44s, outside of the 12 cars that were already scrapped, its a wrap until more cars are purchased, but whatever....we'll see what happens because like I posted in my previous post, ALL information pertaining to the MTA is subject to change.

Funny how adding, "although this is subject to change" instantly legitimizes nearly anything you can post.

yeah but Buffer you've been around long enough none of this "speculation" should surprise you till it happens.

Update:

R44 retirements - confirmed, will be gone by fall. How? I don't yet know.

R44 SIR retirements - confirmed (known as of a while ago, but they will go). Don't have a timetable yet, but they will be going.

75 foot cars will not fit onto either the 207th St Barge Lead or the Bway Junction connector to the Canarsie Line to access Linden, so...wait and see...

That's all I'll say on the matter for now, but remember this is me, and I have reputable sources so you can take that to ze bank if you're so inclined, consider this your confirmation of the above though...those aren't rumors anymore...everything else...IS...until it happens :)

Why didn't the (MTA) purchase and take the option order 3 of 130 R160A's and 100 R160B's? That option order of R160's could of been useful as spares for the Jamaica yard, but i don't understand why did the (MTA) reject that order for?:cry:

Maybe because they're dimwits much??

Funny how adding, "although this is subject to change" instantly legitimizes nearly anything you can post.

Yet we all know those on here who have reputable sources...too bad the same can't be said for others so oh well :)

Why didn't the (MTA) purchase and take the option order 3 of 130 R160A's and 100 R160B's? That option order of R160's could of been useful as spares for the Jamaica yard, but i don't understand why did the (MTA) reject that order for?:cry:

I don't think the MTA was truely using the left sides of their brains, because if the R-179 turns out to be 60-foot cars, then they threw away money (MTA=Money Thrown Away).

Why I say that, negotiating a contract for new cars is gonna set a certain price. The R-179s can be expected to be more expensive than the R-160s PER car, just the nature of the best, we aren't gonna get the R-179 cars and the 2006 R-160 price. If the R-179s were to be 60-footers, we could just tacked on the necessary cars in an option 3 on the R-160s and been "Gucci" on the cost of new cars. IIRC, the R-160s are 1.7 or 1.8 Million PER CAR, there is NO way at 2010 or 2011 (or whenever we sign the contract) that we're gonna get the R-179s for 1.8 Million PER car, we're probably gonna be looking at 2+ Million PER car.

Also it will take more cars, If we purchase 60-footers to replace the R-44s (going from 8-Car 75-foot trains to 10-Car 60-foot trains). SMH at the money just being pissed away at the MTA.

Yet we all know those on here who have reputable sources...too bad the same can't be said for others so oh well :)

Love the side talking but its cool, ain't no sweat off my brow because I remember all the talk about people were giving out about "Oh No, the R-44s aren't going be scrapped or stored." I was one of the few people that said it was coming....Mmmmm whats happening, now? I'd say my sources were pretty tight on that one.

Love the side talking but its cool, ain't no sweat off my brow because I remember all the talk about people were giving out about "Oh No, the R-44s aren't going be scrapped or stored." I was one of the few people that said it was coming....Mmmmm whats happening, now? I'd say my sources were pretty tight on that one.

Not coming at you at all sir. Heh, I knew myself that the R44's doomsday was eminent since the retirement of the R40Ms back in August.

No $$$$$$$$$$$$.

No $$$$$$$$$$$$.

No $$$$$$$$$$$$.

You're absolutely right.

Archived