The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today, at around 7:00 A.M. on an R - 160, I saw the map. Damn, Manhattan takes up about a third of the map. And that grey "shadow" line does look like another train route.

Also, there's a ton of empty space without the service guide, accessibility box, and bus bubbles. I saw it yesterday.

Today, at around 7:00 A.M. on an R - 160, I saw the map. Damn, Manhattan takes up about a third of the map. And that grey "shadow" line does look like another train route.

And what's funny is that the outlines were previously used on service change maps, and not the regular map. Now, this one sided outline is used on the regular map; but notice, there are no outlines on the current service change map!

Here's a cool article by AM NY

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/v-and-w-trains-join-a-long-list-of-routes-that-have-bowed-out-of-the-subways-1.2028944

The paper version (City Living) also included all the shops you can visit on the line neighborhood by neighborhood, from Forest Hills to Metropolitan.

At the bottom:

Rules for choosing a subway name:

I, O: Looks too much like numbers to use

P, U, Y: Also no-no’s, as they sound like words

X: Has been used as a placeholder for lines under development. Was considered for a line from Sixth Avenue to the World Trade Center, but the route never surfaced.

Source: Glenn Lunden, NYC Transit Operations and Planning

So it's "sounding like words"? (Ad not just the "P" reference!) What about the B and C and R, then?

(They also forget the proposed emergency LIRR Penn Sta substitute service).

What's the details on said party?

I started at facebook event to ride the last (V) train next week Friday. I got the idea from the "Death of the <Q> Diamond party" that occurred in 2004. People were crammed in the last car of the <Q> train from 57th Street to Brighton Beach, which was also a Slant :cool:. All the details are on the facebook event page so just search up "Death of the (V) party" in facebook and you should find it. :P

So it seems there will be a (V) Train Party. Anything going on the (W) or the Brooklyn Half of the (M2)?:cool:

I didn't arrange anything for either line but I'll be on the last (M2) train out of Bay Parkway that's for sure. As for the (W) I'll ride that in the afternoon of the same day or the day before.

Anyone going to be on the first (M)? I MIGHT be, if I can rouse my ass out of bed that early.

As much as I don't like the concept of the new (M) I'll be up and about that day, just curious as to how things will play out.

And what's funny is that the outlines were previously used on service change maps, and not the regular map. Now, this one sided outline is used on the regular map; but notice, there are no outlines on the current service change map!

It looks even worse on the Railroads side where the line looks like a vague extension of the City-Terminal Zone. :confused:

Archived