The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About five and a half - six more hours until the new orange (M) uses the Chrystie Street Connector for the first time since Friday August 27, 1976 (regular revenue service).

There will also be a first: First midday revenue service through the Chrystie Street Connector.

You mean the Nassau part of it. The Manny B section has been used constantly (except for bridge rehab) since 1967 itself.

Well, I took the (M) hours ago. Queens-bound via 53rd St, the train itself was really empty with little people. I don't know how it was during rush-hours, but I hope it wasn't that empty.

Oh, here's the signage for the new (M). I'll upload pictures sometime today.

(M) Forest Hills/71

(M) 6 Av Lcl/53 St

(M) Queens Blvd Lcl

(M) Metropolitan Ave

(M) (Forgot this one, possibly 53 St/6 Av Lcl)

(M) Jamaica Lcl

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Any reason why the displays say "Jamaica Lcl" instead of, say "Myrtle Av Local"? And do they display Jamaica Lcl on the F.I.N.D.s too or is it just 6 Av Local via 53rd St?

I rode the (M). it The announcments are a patchwork of other announcments from the (F), original(M2) and (E) Even Charlie makes an apperance which is unusual for an transfer on a R160.

"this is Lexington Ave - 53 st"

Diane (F)- Transfer is available to the (6) train!

It was pretty much mixed E announcments after that, then at Woodhaven blvd Charlie Pellet says

"Transfer is available to the Q72 Bus to LGA airport."

I like the (M) so far.

I rode the (M). it The announcments are a patchwork of other announcments from the (F), original(M2) and (E) Even Charlie makes an apperance which is unusual for an transfer on a R160.

It was pretty much mixed E announcments after that, then at Woodhaven blvd Charlie Pellet says

I like the (M) so far.

Yeah I like those announcements. They changed the (Q) also in Brooklyn, it uses the regular voice for the CI and Manhattan bound (Q) local train now.

I rode the (M) during the morning rush hour and it was SRO from Queens Blvd. It was uneventful except that the (M) headways are vastly improved from the old (M2). My 7 year old loved the ride. The evening service was also very good!

I find it amazing that despite the media blitz on the changes, posted signs, and station personnel on hand, so many people were clueless about yesterday, especially at Essex Street. People flew out of the uptown (M) running for the uptown (F) despite a small army of station personnel explaining everything clearly.

I don't get the "Jamaica LCL" and "Jamaica EXP" on the FIND signs. I also don't get why the station signs are vague about train destinations. For example, the (M) doesn't say that it's going to Metropolitan Ave., Middle Village and the R doesn't say 95th Street, Brooklyn.

Overall, things went well on the (M) and it was wonderful using the Chrystie Street Connector once again. I rode the very last (K) train that went through it in 1976. The (M) will do very well when the dust settles!

only local

Incorrect, just north of Bway-Lafayette, trains on B2 can switch over to B4 or they could also go local N/O W4th St. To go to Queens, the point of no return from the express is just N/O 34th St.

Incorrect, just north of Bway-Lafayette, trains on B2 can switch over to B4 or they could also go local N/O W4th St. To go to Queens, the point of no return from the express is just N/O 34th St.

He said can trains coming off the cut switch to the express or only the local.

The question was the M pulling into B'way-Lafayette, not north of there.

He said can trains coming off the cut switch to the express or only the local.

There's no difference though, the train would still be express. But if you put it like that, no, I don't think a wye could have been built.

I like the (M) so far.

Yeah. There are some of the (V) announcements too.

I like the (M) announcements.

Was riding home to Brooklyn on the (D) last night and it was interesting to see a New (M) chasing the (D) from 47-50 to 42 etc.. like the V used to do from station to station. It was an R160 or 142 kinda confused with the 2. it looked pretty clean from the out side, did they wash these cars or are they still putting new ones on the line? Or are these the old M's ? by the way I was pretty mad a few weeks a go, I saw a R142 on the old M lne in Brooklyn with graffiti on the out side that was a real supries.

Was riding home to Brooklyn on the (D) last night and it was interesting to see a New (M) chasing the (D) from 47-50 to 42 etc.. like the V used to do from station to station. It was an R160 or 142 kinda confused with the 2. it looked pretty clean from the out side, did they wash these cars or are they still putting new ones on the line? Or are these the old M's ? by the way I was pretty mad a few weeks a go, I saw a R142 on the old M lne in Brooklyn with graffiti on the out side that was a real supries.

FYI: R142/As: Have the number line strip maps, can ONLY run on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7). Currently, they are on the (2)(4)(5)(6).

R143s: Can ONLY run on lettered lines, have the (L) line strip maps. Now on the (L).

R160A/Bs: Can ONLY run on the lettered lines, have the FINDs. Now on the (E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(Z) lines.

Archived