The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

You Know. In the first week of service, I see the (M) train as kind of like the 70(K) train might've been had it not been cancelled on Friday August 27, 1976 and had been around for the extension to 21st Street-Queensbridge.

One difference I think if that had happened: the (V) train and (Z) train never would've been created and the (M2) would still be running to Broad Street and Bay Parkway.

Reason: The 70(K) would've been extended from "Broadway Junction" to Jamaica Center to provide skip-stop service with the (J) and would've replaced the (F) on 53d Street.

In a way, the merging of the (M2) and (V) into a new (M) fixes a mistake made nearly 34 years ago.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You Know. In the first week of service, I see the (M) train as kind of like the 70(K) train might've been had it not been cancelled on Friday August 27, 1976 and had been around for the extension to 21st Street-Queensbridge.

One difference I think if that had happened: the (V) train and (Z) train never would've been created and the (M2) would still be running to Broad Street and Bay Parkway.

Reason: The 70(K) would've been extended from "Broadway Junction" to Jamaica Center to provide skip-stop service with the (J) and would've replaced the (F) on 53d Street.

In a way, the merging of the (M2) and (V) into a new (M) fixes a mistake made nearly 34 years ago.

I agree; the (M) is indeed a morphing of the old (K) line. I doubt, however, that the (K) would have been extended ; the (J) back then did skip-stop service by itself as A-B. Using the line to go to school back then, the (J) was sufficient especially since it ran express from East NY to Essex Street.

If the Manhattan Bridge had not been so neglected and necessitated partial closure, the (M2) would have continued running through Brighton.

But did Brighton need 3 lines serving it? It seems to be pretty fine with just the 2 and 4th Av could handle 4 service with West end taking 2. Riders from Brighton could've just transfered at DeKalb for the (M2).

If memory serves me right, there weren't really three lines; the 70(QB) was like the (Z), a line that ran for only an hour during rush hours. In fact, the 70(QB) was really the 70(M); at Coney Island, alternate 70(M) trains would be changed into 70(QB) runs. They shared the same rolling stock of R30s, R32s, and R42s. The 70(M) provided the only lower Manhattan service through Brighton local. The trains were pretty much SRO during rush hours. Things might have changed eventually with commuting patterns being what they are today, but the 70(M) move to 4th Avenue and then West End was a "temporary" adjustment due to chronic problems on the Manhattan Bridge.

Wow, there must have been a whole lot of mislabeled 70(QB) trains back then. They couldn't have had time to change them all from (M2). But I always thought of the 70(QB) as a separate line. Unlike the (M2), it went via the Manhattan Bridge to Midtown. I didn't know until recently that it and the (M2) had the same cars and changed routes throughout the day.

Wow, there must have been a whole lot of mislabeled 70(QB) trains back then. They couldn't have had time to change them all from (M2). But I always thought of the 70(QB) as a separate line. Unlike the (M2), it went via the Manhattan Bridge to Midtown. I didn't know until recently that it and the (M2) had the same cars and changed routes throughout the day.

I remember railfanning after school and riding SB 70(M) trains to Coney Island. You could stay in the car and watch the train crew change the roll signs pretty quickly. You could still see 70(M) signs between cars of the 70(QB).

If memory serves me right, the roll signs on the R30s and R32s had knobs that any prankster could change back then (and they did). The old R42 strip maps needed a key. The R44s and R46s had electronic strip maps that were changed from the crew's cabin.

At least you have the luxury of having it in your house :) But I do agree that eventually the novelty will wear off.

I still plan on building my own rollsign box for an R32. That should be challenging yet fun.

Is this me or does the (M) look like something resembilng a cricle line. If it was only extended further from Middle Village it would be a complete circle. A lot of cities have circle lines which circle the CBD and surrounding area and for the most part it works well. Lets hope it does well here.

Is this me or does the (M) look like something resembilng a cricle line. If it was only extended further from Middle Village it would be a complete circle. A lot of cities have circle lines which circle the CBD and surrounding area and for the most part it works well. Lets hope it does well here.

The resemblance to a loop is coincidental. There's no need to connect the two points. Ppl can still take the Q38 b/w the portions.

That actually was a plan for the extension past Metropolitan. It would go to the upper level of Roosevelt Ave. This before there was ever any plan of running the (M) the other way to Continental, but now if they did it, it would be a circle, or perhaps a "6".

Guest Charles
The resemblance to a loop is coincidental. There's no need to connect the two points. Ppl can still take the Q38 b/w the portions.

Ironically enough the Q38 is as much of a "loop" route as the (M) is.

Its funny because you have Grown ass railfans that wont STFU about this goddamn line, Me on the other hand don't care because it doesn't effect me, I don't like it but at the same time there is a nice sunny day where you can go to the beach and there are jobs that are hiring , but you have the viruses that won't shut up, those are the ones that have no life, I haven't railfaned in a whole week and I am enjoying my break from railfanning.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Its funny because you have Grown ass railfans that wont STFU about this goddamn line, Me on the other hand don't care because it doesn't effect me, I don't like it but at the same time there is a nice sunny day where you can go to the beach and there are jobs that are hiring , but you have the viruses that won't shut up, those are the ones that have no life, I haven't railfaned in a whole week and I am enjoying my break from railfanning.

WOOT WOOT!!! :tup::tup

IAWTP 500%

Archived