The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

Remember that topic about the R44s going to the (C)? It was 100% false. Only becuz the OP said that a crew said its gonna swape with the (A), and they were wrong.

Only certain people in the t/a knows. The high people mainly, not just any crew.

The issue on the R44s on the (C) was shot down the moment it was even mentioned.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, thing that are gong to happen can and do change all the time. Nothing is ever set in stone, ever.

Thats when the person should say that whatever might happen is not confirmed yet instead of making a guarantee and then it never happens. What I've been trying to say is that there are certain posters who make it seem like it IS set in stone yet it doesn't happen, speculations and predictions are fine but dont make posts that makes others think that it will happen.

Oh, and for the post up above, I didnt mean the OP, I was referring to a certain individual, a mistake on my part.

The thing is, the (MTA) did spell it out for them. They had that information available on their site and to those looking for it for a while now. And if read, even glanced over, one could understand what was going to happen. Politics can be so twisted sometimes.

Well, you have to concider, these are likely the people that would get on a train that's not even correct just because they see a letter.

Or for my example: people see a B41 show up, but they don't bother to check if it is the Begen Beach one or the Kings Plaza [the one they need]. And when the bus turns to Av N, they immediately ask the b/o for a transfer to get off.

That's what I mean by people don't pay attention at all.

That's the thing ... residents are under the impression that ANY and ALL service between Bway/Myrtle and MET is being discontinued with no replacement. I know a number of people from the area who believe this despite telling them about the (V). I believe it might be due to local politicians presenting it that way in order to create outrage from the community. The same was done in Astoria where no one mentioned that the Q would replace the W if it was cut. Keeping the "M" designation (if true) may actually solve the problem since the residents seem to be fooled easily.

I guess the media and Queens politicians would then say the V is getting axed. I know there are people on this board who don't like the V, but the average QB commuter is going to be upset of the ''loss'' of service, even though it is the same train under a new letter.

To me, I think that if the orange M is kept, it would be more hassle to change the signs. Then again, they will have to take down all the signs on 6th Avenue and QB and replace them with signs that say V to Metropolitan Avenue. The MTA could always print out an orange M (I don't know the cost) and stick it on the current sign so it reads ''M to Forest Hills''.

I'm sure the MTA could just print up a couple of hundred small orange Ms at a relatively low price compared to what they save by doing the service changes. The trouble of sticking them up can be solved by simply taping over the sign (like when they took away the <Q>, they simply covered up the sign with black tape at Manhattan stations). They could just tape M over the V sign.

In the end, I don't see what the big deal is over a letter.

I guess the media and Queens politicians would then say the V is getting axed. I know there are people on this board who don't like the V, but the average QB commuter is going to be upset of the ''loss'' of service, even though it is the same train under a new letter.

To me, I think that if the orange M is kept, it would be more hassle to change the signs. Then again, they will have to take down all the signs on 6th Avenue and QB and replace them with signs that say V to Metropolitan Avenue. The MTA could always print out an orange M (I don't know the cost) and stick it on the current sign so it reads ''M to Forest Hills''.

I'm sure the MTA could just print up a couple of hundred small orange Ms at a relatively low price compared to what they save by doing the service changes. The trouble of sticking them up can be solved by simply taping over the sign (like when they took away the <Q>, they simply covered up the sign with black tape at Manhattan stations). They could just tape M over the V sign.

In the end, I don't see what the big deal is over a letter.

But, along Queens Boulevard most take the Express train, not V.

Thats when the person should say that whatever might happen is not confirmed yet instead of making a guarantee and then it never happens. What I've been trying to say is that there are certain posters who make it seem like it IS set in stone yet it doesn't happen, speculations and predictions are fine but dont make posts that makes others think that it will happen.

Oh, and for the post up above, I didnt mean the OP, I was referring to a certain individual, a mistake on my part.

What's OP?

Hell, I hope the (M) stays its route right now... Court, Lawrence, DeKalb & all 4 Av Local Stations definitely could use the extra help.. The (R) only does so much.

Agreed 100%.

What's OP?

Original poster.

I think this is ridiculous. It's confusing, because for instance, the (M) currently runs alongside the (D) in Brooklyn; but now it will in Manhattan instead, making it look like it's still going to the same direction (i.e the West End), so people going let's say to a local station on 4th Ave. might say "Oh, I can get the (M) here at 47/50 or W4, insstead of waiting for Pacific"; but it's really heading toward the opposite terminal on the old (M).

And the ironic thing is, all of this time with not only no direct midtown service, and the area being so isolated (and bus connections to other parts of Queens being horrible as well), and no one ever complained about anything. Hence, the area remained ignored. Why would they now complain about the letter used? It would be messed up if the MTA actually did this, favoring Myrtle over QB for a change. It's much less complicated to just extend the (V) than to totally realign the (M).

yo man, i dont know where you get your information from, but most of the time your information is inaccurate and pure foam and exaggerated speculation. the (F) only now runs 1 to 2 sets of R46's while majority of the line is saturated with R160's. t

The R32's will stay at jamaica until retirement or possibly run on the (V) when its extended. also, CI doesnt need anymore trains, whoever keeps saying CI is short trains is full of bullcrap, other wise the (E) would of never gotten the 8713-8722 trainset. and this crap with an orange (M) is NOT going to happen! im pretty sure when i attend the (MTA) meeting they will shoot down that option of an orange (M) because the system is trying to save money and the system KNOWS passengers WILL adapt to new service REGUARDLESS of a Letter. please do most of us a favor and this goes for EVERYONE ON HERE, if youre not a tss, t/o, or dispatch supervisor, or any (MTA) employee, do not insist upon the (MTA) system. its cool to fantisize,but not spread gossip and rumors. at the end of this month the (MTA) will have meetings discussing service cuts and finalizing deals, so sit and be patient. btw R32 3838, whats new with QB? you said last week QB was getting a "change" or some sort... what happened? NOTHING.:mad:

Number 1 I have very good soruces, Number 2 I don't Give a Flying F%$k about this (M)/(V) crap, 3 CI is Not short of cars and they Might have to give up SOME Of their R160's to Jamaica, It would make perfect since for the (:( to have half of the oldest equipment, Its a Part Time line.

And QB will change, It might take time but its going to change Im not like other people that wants attention, and like I said to all of the idiots, I have very good sources, I don't talk to just train operators.

And I don't Bullshit ether sometimes we are wrong and Sometimes Im wrong, Its normal to be wrong, And I was one of the 1st the find out about the R44 retirement, When I said that they were going everybody looked at me like a fool and now they are in 207th st yard being stripped.

And A supervisor told Me There is a possibllty of the R42's going to CI and they are the only yard to have Parts for them, 207th,Jamica and pitkin don't have parts as well as concourse, Coney Island and ENY are the only 2 yards that have R42 Parts, and The R42's are not retireing and rerember the Option Order II R160A-1's are going to bump off 32-40 R42's that are at ENY, The Original Plan was to do a trade, They were going to swap the R32 to 207th for the 14 R42's that were stored at 207th. That was the original plan.

Everybody can sit there and say what they want to say, everyone has the rights to what they have to say.

...And the ironic thing is, all of this time with not only no direct midtown service, and the area being so isolated (and bus connections to other parts of Queens being horrible as well), and no one ever complained about anything. Hence, the area remained ignored. Why would they now complain about the letter used? It would be messed up if the MTA actually did this, favoring Myrtle over QB for a change. It's much less complicated to just extend the (V) than to totally realign the (M).

There's only 1 direct Midtown service (2 if you count the (L) but that's in Ridgewood) is the QM24. But many people, myself included, can't afford to take that bus so we rely on the (M) to another train like the (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(F)(J)(L)(N)(Q)(R) or (W) just to get to Midtown. Then there's always the Q39 or Q67 to Queens Plz for the (E)(R) or (V) but those 2 routes have horrible headways and the Q67 stops running after 11:10 pm (10:30 pm going to LI City). I'm one of the people that actually want this to happen.

While this proposal is a wash ie benefits some (M) riders and also is a negative for other (M) riders as well, I would not lose sleep if the (MTA) approves of this. I am more worried about the other proposed 'doomesday cuts' then this.

And as long as the trains are in good shape, ie heat/ac works, it does not really to me if the new (M)/(V) line runs R-160's or '32's/42's.:confused:

Number 1 I have very good soruces, Number 2 I don't Give a Flying F%$k about this (M)/(V) crap, 3 CI is Not short of cars and they Might have to give up SOME Of their R160's to Jamaica, It would make perfect since for the (:( to have half of the oldest equipment, Its a Part Time line.

Even if you have good sources, they may come out false at times dude.

and what happens when (J) riders complain they want a direct connection to midtown too? then what? Some things are better left as they are.

Foxie, that why i said this plan is a 'if-if' aka 50-50 siutation where the (M)(V) merger benefits some and is a big negative for others mainly Myrtle riders wanting a 1-seat ride to Downtown Manhattan and also SW Brooklyn/4th Ave riders losing a 1-seat ride to the Wall St area.

At same time some (J) riders can also use the (E) at stations between 121 and Jamaica Center and also the (A) if they live near Broadway Junction as well to get to Midtown.

and what happens when (J) riders complain they want a direct connection to midtown too? then what? Some things are better left as they are.
At least (J)(Z) riders can easily transfer at Myrtle Avenue or at Essex Street for a continuing trip to Midtown.

Wonder if Fourth Avenue and West End riders will complain about losing Nassau Street service and having only (R) and (D) service during rush hours.

At least (J)(Z) riders can easily transfer at Myrtle Avenue or at Essex Street for a continuing trip to Midtown.

Wonder if Fourth Avenue and West End riders will complain about losing Nassau Street service and having only (R) and (D) service during rush hours.

2. The (M) has More historical vaule than the (V) so obviously the Myrtle ave Riders would want to keep their letter than some Barely used letter from taking over.

wouldn't this be a good time to bring back the Brown <R> Chambers to 95th or the <R> period Running from city hall lower level to 95th ?

It would great, but since the whole point was to cut service and run less trains and less crews .. it would sort of defeat the purpose. I doubt this would happen, but I could see running a small number of additional (R),<R>, or (W) trains similar to the select Kings Hwy (W) trains. 2 or 3 trains.

I saw the draft work program today and it says (V). So there.:(
Yeah, but that came out last week, and this seems a more recent development.

There's only 1 direct Midtown service (2 if you count the (L) but that's in Ridgewood) is the QM24. But many people, myself included, can't afford to take that bus so we rely on the (M) to another train like the (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(F)(J)(L)(N)(Q)(R) or (W) just to get to Midtown. Then there's always the Q39 or Q67 to Queens Plz for the (E)(R) or (V) but those 2 routes have horrible headways and the Q67 stops running after 11:10 pm (10:30 pm going to LI City). I'm one of the people that actually want this to happen.
And the QM24 is slow like the 39 and 67, and doesn't run as much as other expresses. It goes way out to Rego Park first, and then comes back towards Fresh Pond. It seemed that everything that came this way had some such catch to it (like the Q55 stopping way short of Jamaica, etc).

The more significant change is for (M) riders. So changing their designation to (V) would let many know the difference. Keep the (M), and some may think it's still going to Brooklyn. To me, this merger makes since without a service cut. Plus eliminating 2 lines is going to free-up a lot of cars. How exciting it'll be to see an NTT dominated QBL. WHOO! I hope it happens. July is a little while away and we just got through a long cold season, so I can wait.

Archived