Today at Rockaway Park & More

R62A 1991

Hello all! I've been back in NY for a week today after returning from Florida. I've ridden an R160 multiple times on every line it runs on except the (Z) and have found no frozen F.I.N.D.s so far, which pleases me. I've also been using the (L) along 14th St a lot lately to get to meetings, and I like the ATO; it is very, very fast. The R62s are holding up well on the (3) although we've been getting the lights off over 3rd rail gaps lately. I wanted to visit Rockaway Park since it's been 4 years since I went, and it is going to rain on Monday and Tuesday. The Q35 was extremely speedy after Kings Plaza and down Newport Av. Here are some photos from there:

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

There were two R46s and one R44. One of the R46s were 2 A-A sets.

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

A lot of work trains were there today as well:

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

Then, I hitched up to Broad Channel:

IMG_0800.jpg

Unfortunately, a family would not move into the platform, so that's the only shot I got of that train.

IMG_0806.jpg

Then an (A) came speeding in:

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

And the shuttle came back on the other track:

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Then, a dilemma:

IMG_0822.jpg

That's a new R160. But,

IMG_0825.jpg

This was approaching to Manhattan. With 16 minutes to the next train, I couldn't stay because I had a meeting to get to. So, I snapped these quickly:

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

And got on the R44, then ditched it at Euclid for a ride on the 100% R32 (C) to Jay St. But, the RFW was way too filthy to take videos, which was disappointing. I believe the numbers of the R160 were 9777-9782, but I could be mistaken. Later on, I saw that the Brooklyn IRT is finally testing its new display boards at Franklin Avenue:

IMG_0830.jpg

Hopefully they last. Two videos:

And, that's all for today, and probably this time. Hope you enjoyed!

Nice catch with the R160 on the a line !

Thanks!

Nice day for the Rockaways and caught a fresh R160.I always notice the R44 has crinkly looking sheetmetal compared to the R46 which has smoother metal.Any logic behind this?

Yes, a very nice day. The R44, I believe their stripe is painted silver, whereas the R46's is pure steel.

Cool pics!

Thanks!

Welcome back to NY.

Great pics btw

Thank you.

great pics!! i can notice photobucket decreased the quality.WHOA WHOA wait R160 at ROCKAWAY? somethings going on...

Yes, that's correct. R160s were definitely going there for speed testing along the test track. I wanted to stay and get more pics, but that couldn't happen. Thanks!

R160s are usually there for testing. It's only testing and not like it's in service. So it's not really that big a surprise.

As for the pics: nice job. Nice to see more R46s on the A and the S.

Thanks. It was good to see them.

(T)hese were some Hot (S)hots ,I really was feeling these ,They came out crispy/sunny :tup::tup: (A) and (S) very nice (K)<R>

160 test train Hmmmm

Thanks! I couldn't have asked for a better day to go to the Rockaways.

Archived