Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Espada Expresses Support For East River Bridge Tolls

ditja

http://www.ny1.com/1-all-boroughs-news-content/115614/espada-expresses-support-for-east-river-bridge-tolls

State Senator Pedro Espada has come out in favor of tolls on some East River bridges.

The majority leader now says he supports a $2 toll on the Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg and Queensboro Bridges.

Espada is adding a bridge toll proposal to state budget negotiations. He says the tolls are a better option than the looming Metropolitan Transportation Authority service cuts and the elimination of free student MetroCards.

Espada says his support for the tolls is contingent upon the money going to saving programs that may be cut.

"I would only support it if it is a direct link, a lock box, a dedicated fund for free student MetroCards and also directly going to make sure that those bus lines and transportation lines that move seniors to their medical appointments, that, too, receives an exemption and a priority in this budget,” said Espada.

Espada says estimates by the Traffic Congestion Mitigation Commission show the tolls would raise around $525 million a year, while reducing pollution and congestion.

How would this reduce congestion and pollution? 2 dollars is too low to actually force people to consider taking the subway or bus, as it is even cheaper than a ride, and the price of gas has not risen thst much lately!

Plus, adding tolls inevitably leads to slow downs at the bridge approaches, though it is reduced by gate-less toll booths, which are so expensive that it would wipe out much of the profits in the first year or so anyway

Not a bad idea. Its like here in the west when you want to go to San Fran(unless if you're coming from the south i think...(US-101)) Pay $4 or ride BART. What would you choose? I approve the idea even though I don't live in NYC anymore.

Not a bad idea. Its like here in the west when you want to go to San Fran(unless if you're coming from the south i think...(US-101)) Pay $4 or ride BART. What would you choose? I approve the idea even though I don't live in NYC anymore.

Darryl how much are tolls on the Oakland-SF Bay Bridge, the Golden Gate and the San Meto Bridges to/from SF now?

How would this reduce congestion and pollution? 2 dollars is too low to actually force people to consider taking the subway or bus, as it is even cheaper than a ride, and the price of gas has not risen thst much lately!

Plus, adding tolls inevitably leads to slow downs at the bridge approaches, though it is reduced by gate-less toll booths, which are so expensive that it would wipe out much of the profits in the first year or so anyway

Yeah, but free is even cheaper than the cost of a ride. At least if there is a toll, even if it doesn't reduce traffic, it could prevent some of the cuts, by providing more than enough money to fund the $214 million Student MetroCard program and restore the $93 million in service cuts, reducing traffic in that regard.

It would probably reduce pollution somewhat, though not a whole lot. The expenses of gas and parking and wear-and-tear far exceed the $2 toll, so the people who drive into Manhattan are already paying such large expenses that a $2 toll wouldn't be the worse one.

What I don't like about this plan is that they still want to keep the student MCs. Why should it be the responsibility of only the MTA to keep funding it?

Aren't the bridges owned by the city anyway, so the money would go to the city to help fund the Student MetroCard program, so its technically the city's money that it is spending on the MTA to keep the MetroCards around.

Why are you against the Student MetroCards? Do you realize that if the city doesn't pay for it in the form of MetroCards, it will pay in the form of extra police officers and in the future, where more people will need public assistance as a result of no education?

Aren't the bridges owned by the city anyway, so the money would go to the city to help fund the Student MetroCard program, so its technically the city's money that it is spending on the MTA to keep the MetroCards around.

Why are you against the Student MetroCards? Do you realize that if the city doesn't pay for it in the form of MetroCards, it will pay in the form of extra police officers and in the future, where more people will need public assistance as a result of no education?

It's interesting that this is a state senator, not a city assemblyman, announcing this grand plan without any apparent backing from the NYC assembly, or even Bloomberg. I have a feeling this is another one of Pedro's claims full of nothing but hot air to pander to his constituents.

Darryl how much are tolls on the Oakland-SF Bay Bridge, the Golden Gate and the San Meto Bridges to/from SF now?

Still at $4.00 for 2 axles. It hasn't increased just yet.

And its only to SF, not from...except Golden Gate I think...

When congestion pricing was first brought up the city was going to transfer ownership of the bridges to the mta because it would save the city millions each year in maintaining them. so basically the mta will have to completely fund student metrocards, something which the city and state should do.

Completely disagree with Espada's line of thinking.

How about this one instead: Cut the subsidy to MTA Bus to allow at least half-fare MetroCards to remain, and redirect the subsidy to pay for pupil transportation instead? There would be MTA Bus express routes eliminated, but the pool of money available is finite.

I'd love to see where tolls would be propped up on either end of the "free bridges"....

reducing congestion? yah right... if anything, it would ADD to congestion...

prime example, the washington bridge... that puppy gets backed up on BOTH ends (bronx & manhattan) without a toll plaza on it...

I'm against it being the MTA's responsibility given how many funding cuts they've gotten and how since it is really a DOE issue. The DOE should be the one that should be funding the student MCs instead from their budget.

What I was saying was that the bridges are city-owned (like those jokes about buying the Brooklyn Bridge) and that the money would end up going to the DOE anyway. Then I saw a post saying that the city would transfer ownership to the MTA.

I do agree that it is up to the DOE to provide the funding, especially considering how much more efficient it is than yellow bus service.

All congestion pricing does is take away money from middle class New Yorkers and penalizes people who for logistical reasons choose not to ride the subway.

facepalm.jpg

"For logistical reasons"??? Then they should go ride your beloved EXPRESS BUS. Can't afford that? Put up with the train.

If we pay to cross on train & bus, why not in car. It's time people started paying the real price for using millions of automobiles.

- A

Yea really smart man? Do you pay for fuel, insurance, registrations fees, maintenence? When you sit your ass on a bus do you pay the tolls at the bridges & tunnels? The world doesn't revolve around the NYC transit authority. You don't even live here so who are you?

All congestion pricing does is take away money from middle class New Yorkers and penalizes people who for logistical reasons choose not to ride the subway.

True its wrong and just makes Manhattan more off limits to the common folk in the outer boroughs and this is what Bloomberg wants. Blookberg wants manhattan to be his own legacy of getting rid of all the poor in the borough and making Manhattan only for the elite. I wonder what Bloomberg has promised the rat piece of shit Espada for his cooperation.

True its wrong and just makes Manhattan more off limits to the common folk in the outer boroughs and this is what Bloomberg wants. Blookberg wants manhattan to be his own legacy of getting rid of all the poor in the borough and making Manhattan only for the elite. I wonder what Bloomberg has promised the rat piece of shit Espada for his cooperation.

Haven't you guys noticed that Espada only wants the EAST RIVER bridges tolled and not the Harlem River bridges that serve his constituents in the Bronx and also those coming from Westchester and Rockland. That means that Brooklyn and Queens (especially those from East Queens and South Brooklyn, the latter served by another chief opponent of congestion pricing, Senator Carl Kruger).

Archived