Construction of 2nd Ave. subway forcing New Yorkers from six buildings to move out

Harry

Better safe than shaky.

The MTA is forcing New Yorkers from six upper East Side buildings to move out while it shores up their buildings during the ground-rumbling construction of the Second Ave. subway.

A survey found 18 buildings need reinforcement to make sure they're not damaged by subterranean blasting, to be followed by the work of a 1000-ton tunnel boring machine.

"These are old buildings," said Michael Horodniceanu, MTA Capital Construction president.

"These are buildings that were built at a time when controls from the Building Department were almost non-existent."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/23/2010-03-23_theyll_make_tracks_2nd_ave_tunneling_forces_temporary_move_for_residents.html#ixzz0j0I6tShi

post-1-133288581681_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581681_thumb.jpg

I love how people freggin cry that "oh, the Lexington Ave Line is too crowed! We need the Second Avenue Subway" then when they're being evicted, "Oh this subway construction needs to stop!"

Hey East Siders, stop fudging crying! You ask for this, take the fudging consequences.

I love how people freggin cry that "oh, the Lexington Ave Line is too crowed! We need the Second Avenue Subway" then when they're being evicted, "Oh this subway construction needs to stop!"

Hey East Siders, stop fudging crying! You ask for this, take the fudging consequences.

hypocrisy.jpg

All I'm glad is: I'm not living there B)

But yeah that's gonna suck, but hey, at least they'll have a subway line a few blocks away and more space than to fight others on the Lexington lines.

Put up or shut up: you either want more relief on the trains or deal with the overcrowding. Nothing comes without a price.

Better safe than shaky.

The MTA is forcing New Yorkers from six upper East Side buildings to move out while it shores up their buildings during the ground-rumbling construction of the Second Ave. subway.

A survey found 18 buildings need reinforcement to make sure they're not damaged by subterranean blasting, to be followed by the work of a 1000-ton tunnel boring machine.

"These are old buildings," said Michael Horodniceanu, MTA Capital Construction president.

"These are buildings that were built at a time when controls from the Building Department were almost non-existent."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/23/2010-03-23_theyll_make_tracks_2nd_ave_tunneling_forces_temporary_move_for_residents.html#ixzz0j0I6tShi

(2)We need the second ave subway line. Further more we need the 2nd ave line to extend into The Bronx and perhaps Staten Island!!!

Come to think of it, given all the highrises that have been built in the area, there should be more than enough rooms to house the displaced people. If the buildings are deemed unsafe when the tunneling is done, maybe they should be replaced.

Maybe? I'd say definitely!:)

• 1 month later...
Better safe than shaky.

They should not be complanin' They get to live off the MTA now.

I am sure there are some satisfied customers out there somewhere...right?

Me.

Archived