What are some things that you think the MTA waste their money on?

TrainFanatic

being in flagging has given me a lot of inside info. signal maintenance and some lighting maintenance is now also being outsourced. why do we need outside contractors changing lightbulbs in tunnels when we have mow?

They have contractors for way too many things. For a while they tried to have contractors do chip out track replacements.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The MTA wast money on R160s And station Rebuilds

So during rush hour, if you wait for a train for 40 minutes and meanwhile, paint is raining on you, that's OK?

I assume the plan was to have <7>s run express, and switch to the local track (either) just to make the 74th stop? Sounds like a real time-killer.

Nope... I was gonna say it but he stole it from my MIND:mad::mad::mad:

I think the real plan was so that whenever construction requires that the (7) runs express, they have the option of running express either until or starting at 74th St, rather than skipping it because the switches were at Woodside. There was no intention of having the <7> making a stop there.

R32s are no longer on their way out.

The problem with the Fulton Transit Center is that it does not really fix any of the major problems with the Fulton St complex. You will still need to use the A/C platform to make transfers.

The nonexistant problem of finding an entrance is being fixed. Beforehand, It was so hard to find a station entrance that if you blindfolded someone and left them in the neighborhood, they only would have a 90% chance of randomly falling into a Fulton st. entrance.

South Ferry is another big waste. The old South Ferry station had a greater train capacity than the new one. The new station can hold more people, but such is nothing that a platform extension and a second entrance couldnt have solved. (Hell- if you were to open the existing closed doorways, the old platform has an easier transfer to the R/W than the new one does. )

The new South Ferry station was needed. First of all, the fact that the station was on a curve would've made it difficult to extend the platform. Since the station was on a curve, that alone took away some of its capacity, plus the fact that only one train could be in the ststion at a time. All that made the new station necessary.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these projects are being paid for partially with federal money, including definitely the South Ferry station and I think the Fulton Street Transit Center

Some of the services could be more efficient, which is why some of the revisions aren't as bad as others, for example, the Bx8/Bx14 combo.

One example that I see every day is that at my school (Port Richmond High School) has 4 S44 (towards the SI Mall) and 3 S46 (2 to Mariners' Harbor and one to the St George Ferry) ''special'' buses in the PM rush. For some reason, there are none of either bus in the AM rush. The S46 needs both buses, but I see no real reason as to why there are 4 S44 buses, 2 of which are close to empty. It would be much more efficient if 2 of those were used as AM ''specials'', or if one of them were at least given to the S46. (I think this happens after 8th and 9th period, so that is 4 buses that could be put to better use every day).

Personally, I don't think any extension of the system could be considered a waste. I rather have more service and less "fanciness" like rebuilt station complexes or artwork or whatnot.

The SAS, 7 train extension, and what I'd like are Bronx-to-Queens line, upper Manhattan cross town, and service to LaGuardia Airport are all good ways to spend MTA money. Remember, though costly in the short term, in the long run, economic development sprouts from subway access, not the other way around.

Personally, I don't think any extension of the system could be considered a waste. I rather have more service and less "fanciness" like rebuilt station complexes or artwork or whatnot.

The SAS, 7 train extension, and what I'd like are Bronx-to-Queens line, upper Manhattan cross town, and service to LaGuardia Airport are all good ways to spend MTA money. Remember, though costly in the short term, in the long run, economic development sprouts from subway access, not the other way around.

I guarantee you that in the 1930s, the QBL was an epic waste of money. Now it's overcrowded!

Sorry if this been said before but my takes.

1)A big problem with the (MTA) is way too many executives on the upper management level.

2)Why does the (MTA) have two main headquarters in Manhattan? Have the main one on Madison Ave IMO. Selling one of the two buildings gets hunderds of dollars immedaetly.

3)While maintaining most of the operations separte IMO, the 'Presidents' jobs of both the LIRR and Metro North should merge with one person in charge of new combined agency (MTA) Railroad. Also a "director" similar to what Joe Smith does as "Director' of NYCT Buses/LI Bus and (MTA) Bus Company each separte for MNRR and LIRR reporting direct to (MTA) Railroad President.

4)I know this maybe controversial and some of the NYCTF member who are (MTA) and TWU workers may scream at me for this. Close Midnight/Overnight Hours underused stations espcially those that are near other stations.

This alone could save some station agent jobs and some of the bus/subway cuts.

Examples

Close-Rector St (N)(R) line-Use either the Wall St (4) or Rector (1).

Close-18th St (1)-Use either the 14th St/8th (A)(E)(L) with 24/7 16th St enterence or the (1)(2) at 14th/7th Ave.

Close-Beverly Road and Neck Road (Q) stations.

5)Can lifetime e-zpass/Metrocards for (MTA) bosses only allowed free unlimted metrocards for self only during their tenure as Chairman/Presidents. Ditto for workers. Spouses no longer gets free metrocards/e-z passes.

6)NYPD and other NYC employees only ride for 'free' during work hours.

7)Other than ongoing East Side LIRR Access, the (7)extension to 12nd Ave/Javitz Center and the 2nd Ave subway all non esstential projects are suspended until mega recession is over.

Just some ideas.

4)I know this maybe controversial and some of the NYCTF member who are (MTA) and TWU workers may scream at me for this. Close Midnight/Overnight Hours underused stations espcially those that are near other stations.

This alone could save some station agent jobs and some of the bus/subway cuts.

Examples

Close-Rector St (N)(R) line-Use either the Wall St (4) or Rector (1).

Close-18th St (1)-Use either the 14th St/8th (A)(E)(L) with 24/7 16th St enterence or the (1)(2) at 14th/7th Ave.

Close-Beverly Road and Neck Road (Q) stations.

You do know that it costs more money to close stations over night then it does to just keep them open. By closing stations, you would be wasting alot more money.

Also, said from the NYPD, what other city workers get free rides? I have worked for the city before and I never got in for free.

You do know that it costs more money to close stations over night then it does to just keep them open. By closing stations, you would be wasting alot more money.

But why is it that Broad and Fulton Streets on the (J)/(M2)/(Z) are open from 5 a.m. on Mondays until 1 a.m. on Saturday??? I'll take a stab and say that it makes sense to close the stations on weekends since the (4) and (5) are close by and the (4) goes into brooklyn but why not have Broad and Fulton open only from 5-11 on weekdays then and cut the (J) back to Chambers on late nights and weekends.

But why is it that Broad and Fulton Streets on the (J)/(M2)/(Z) are open from 5 a.m. on Mondays until 1 a.m. on Saturday??? I'll take a stab and say that it makes sense to close the stations on weekends since the (4) and (5) are close by and the (4) goes into brooklyn but why not have Broad and Fulton open only from 5-11 on weekdays then and cut the (J) back to Chambers on late nights and weekends.

Thing is though, those stations are still manned. They also use them for terror drills and training all the time. Still, even if it is cheaper to close a station late at night, the savings are not even worth it.

Thing is though, those stations are still manned. They also use them for terror drills and training all the time. Still, even if it is cheaper to close a station late at night, the savings are not even worth it.

Interesting...I learned something new.

Thanks for the deets!

Interesting...I learned something new.

Thanks for the deets!

Also, when they close Fulton on the (J), they only lock the gates to the (J) platform. You still have all the station personnel there (unless it is one of the weekend when they close down all the Fulton Street stops for construction).

Also, when they close Fulton on the (J), they only lock the gates to the (J) platform. You still have all the station personnel there (unless it is one of the weekend when they close down all the Fulton Street stops for construction).

I see, thanks again.

I have read (possibly even on this site) that the MTA pays exorbitant rates for the smallest day-to-day items that should be bought at low, wholesale prices.

Also, a lot of those guys that sit in the road ops. cars all day don't seem to do very much (one of them smokes a cigar and sits in his car all day blocking the bus lane)

That why the whole union contract needs to be re done. How it dumb it is to keep paying TWU for work they are not doing.:tdown:

The MTA is wasting money keeping gas-guzzling express buses in service. i saw so many of them when i was waiting for the X10. It was despicable. They need to be consolidated or cut period. The X10 and X1 serve their purposes IMO...lol...the others, I can't speak for :P

You mean I should have been riding for free all this time and I wasn't supposed to be paying for my metrocard? Well let me get in contact with Human Resources so they can give me my free metrocard ASAP then. Thanks!

You mean I should have been riding for free all this time and I wasn't supposed to be paying for my metrocard? Well let me get in contact with Human Resources so they can give me my free metrocard ASAP then. Thanks!

Back when I as in high school and I took the B48 (until I decided to ditch the bus traveling for the train), a crossing guard got on the bus for free every single morning.

Back when I as in high school and I took the B48 (until I decided to ditch the bus traveling for the train), a crossing guard got on the bus for free every single morning.

The crossing guards are NYPD Civil Employees.

Archived