What are some things that you think the MTA waste their money on?

TrainFanatic

The crossing guards are NYPD Civil Employees.

Oh okay.

So if what Shortline Bus is saying is true, then how come teachers don't get "free" rides if they're employed by the city.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh okay.

So if what Shortline Bus is saying is true, then how come teachers don't get "free" rides if they're employed by the city.

your sarcasm meter must be broken. I was being sarcastic with my post. City employees do not get free passes.

So during rush hour, if you wait for a train for 40 minutes and meanwhile, paint is raining on you, that's OK?

It not the first time that happen to me and I know it not the last

The crossing guards are NYPD Civil Employees.
Crossing Guards are not City Employees. They are civilian employees of the NYPD with no union Representation same goes for Traffic Enforcement and School Safety they are Civilian positions not represented by the PBA but by some other union

Crossing Guards are not City Employees. They are civilian employees of the NYPD with no union Representation same goes for Traffic Enforcement and School Safety they are Civilian positions not represented by the PBA but by some other union

Ok, upon further investigation, it seems that Crossing Guards are hired by NYPD and do no take any exams. School Safety Agents though are city employees. They do take civil service exams and are hired by the city. SSA's are under the NYPD and are Local 237 Teamsters.

Ok, upon further investigation, it seems that Crossing Guards are hired by NYPD and do no take any exams. School Safety Agents though are city employees. They do take civil service exams and are hired by the city. SSA's are under the NYPD and are Local 237 Teamsters.
You are correct

The only reason Traffic Agents are part of the NYPD is because they were getting assaulted left and right back when they were known as "brownies". By putting an NYPD patch on their uniform, it makes people think twice before trying to launch one of them into outer space.

The only reason Traffic Agents are part of the NYPD is because they were getting assaulted left and right back when they were known as "brownies". By putting an NYPD patch on their uniform, it makes people think twice before trying to launch one of them into outer space.

Well it looks like an Idiot did not think @ all he was getting a ticket he beat up the traffic aganet and took off in his car...

Dummy forgot that the ticket device has his plate number in it, fool..

Z you @ White Plains right? Going to pay You a visit on Monday have to "look" at something....

You do know that it costs more money to close stations over night then it does to just keep them open. By closing stations, you would be wasting alot more money.

Also, said from the NYPD, what other city workers get free rides? I have worked for the city before and I never got in for free.

It's time to rework the contract with the TWU and just for the hours actually worked and not this mess of paying *double time* to do a job that takes 5 minutes imo. While the transit workers deserve free pay, it's sad that 'senior' t/o's and bus drivers make more money than NYPD cops FDNY and teachers. The TWU also at times greedy imo needs to buy into their health insurance(cause of the last 2005 NYC transit strike)as well as they maybe one of the last major government unions in America that has almost totally free insurance.:P

I also feel that the MTA needs to cut back on a cast of thousands of upper management officals as well getting 5-6 figure salaries. Not to mention what i find unfair is (MTA) chief Jay Walder and other bosses not taking a pay cut.:tdown:

My point is that both the union and upper management are being unfair and the big losers are entry level (MTA) staff and the riders as well.:mad:

And finally the biggest blame goes to folks at both Albany and NYC City Hall for cutting back (MTA) funding and using it that monies as 'tax cuts' to the public so they can get re-elected.

Sorry the truth hurts but that how we got to this crisis along with a serve recession.

It's time to rework the contract with the TWU and just for the hours actually worked and not this mess of paying *double time* to do a job that takes 5 minutes imo. While the transit workers deserve free pay, it's sad that 'senior' t/o's and bus drivers make more money than NYPD cops FDNY and teachers. The TWU also at times greedy imo needs to buy into their health insurance(cause of the last 2005 NYC transit strike)as well as they maybe one of the last major government unions in America that has almost totally free insurance.:P

I also feel that the MTA needs to cut back on a cast of thousands of upper management officals as well getting 5-6 figure salaries. Not to mention what i find unfair is (MTA) chief Jay Walder and other bosses not taking a pay cut.:tdown:

My point is that both the union and upper management are being unfair and the big losers are entry level (MTA) staff and the riders as well.:mad:

And finally the biggest blame goes to folks at both Albany and NYC City Hall for cutting back (MTA) funding and using it that monies as 'tax cuts' to the public so they can get re-elected.

Sorry the truth hurts but that how we got to this crisis along with a serve recession.

If anything, a new contract should keep things as they are not give up ANYTHING. The second any city union, PBA, TWU, UFT, or any of the others gives anything up, it is gone for good. Even if the city says that concessions will be restored in good times, it will never happen. Hell, instead of blaming city works, blame the city that will settle lawsuits or spend millions on free needles, nicotine patches, and other useless things that Bloomburg has wasted money on over the last few years.

I think the MTA is wasting money with these countdown clocks that they are installing. Although I think they are needed, there are many other things ahead of these clocks like station agensts and service. I think priority is the key word.

The procedure for opening a station requires the S/A to have an early report so more money is spent.

However, if they were to do work on the tracks and stations while closed - wouldn't that be a possible savings overall than to have to do work causing GOs and bus shuttles?

I mean I would think if the Jamaica El segment was replaced by shuttle buses late at night, it would allow crews to do maintenance on the el and inconvenience fewer people than in the day.

However, if they were to do work on the tracks and stations while closed - wouldn't that be a possible savings overall than to have to do work causing GOs and bus shuttles?

I mean I would think if the Jamaica El segment was replaced by shuttle buses late at night, it would allow crews to do maintenance on the el and inconvenience fewer people than in the day.

Replacing subway service with bus service costs more money. I don't think it would be worth it.

Oh ok. I still think 1 bus vs 1 train would be more of a cost savings in terms of maintaining one bus vs. [in the case of the J train] an 8-car train. That late at night, I really don't think there's that many people riding the train [could be wrong].

Plus it would be better to do all the work at night that impacts fewer people than if done during the day

Archived