Bus route letter question

lilbluefoxie

It goes back to two different bus companies, lilbluefoxie. The TA (New York City Transit Authority) uses X and MTA Bus (former companies like Queens Surface, Triborough Coach Corporation, Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, Command, New York Bus Service, Libety Lines Express) use BM, BxM and QM to designate express routes.

BM= Brooklyn-Manhattan

BxM=Bronx-Manhattan

QM=Queens-Manhattan

It goes back to two different bus companies, lilbluefoxie. The TA (New York City Transit Authority) uses X and MTA Bus (former companies like Queens Surface, Triborough Coach Corporation, Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, Command, New York Bus Service, Libety Lines Express) use BM, BxM and QM to designate express routes.

BM= Brooklyn-Manhattan

BxM=Bronx-Manhattan

QM=Queens-Manhattan

Basically expess bus routes between two boros.Fo example.BM13 would be an express bus which operate from Point A Brooklyn to point B Manhattan.And of course the number route 13 and the (MTA) incorporated this system during the takeover.Hey they could have just used X.I thought I should also help you explain it more EE:tup:

Or possibly Metro Apple Express?

Metro Apple Express Operated:

*BM10

*BM11

*BM15

Command Operated:

*BQ5

*BQ10

*BQ11

*BQ12

*BW4

*BMJ1

*BMJ2

Caravan Transit Operated:

*QM19

*QM20

*QM25

*QM26

New York Bus Service and Liberty Lines Express were The Bronx - Manhattan.

You mean Atlantic Express?

they use the X as well.

Oopsie! I did mean atlantic express...I was thinking of my credit card lol B)

And I was referring to the AE7 route, which is under MTA contract even though it is not included on the maps

Oopsie! I did mean atlantic express...I was thinking of my credit card lol B)

And I was referring to the AE7 route, which is under MTA contract even though it is not included on the maps

AE7 is not MTA or NYCDOT franchised route. AE7 route is in house (Atlantic Express) owned and operate. The fare is higher then MTA express fare plus AE7 route dont take MetroCards.

AE7 is not MTA or NYCDOT franchised route. AE7 route is in house (Atlantic Express) owned and operate. The fare is higher then MTA express fare plus AE7 route dont take MetroCards.

Wierd. I used to take that bus every once in a while to visit some family in SI and the operators (who were very nice, I might add) told me the MTA was mentioned in their papers/contracts when they were hired (I always asked why they were not an official "X" route), which made a lot of sense to me, and this thread reminded me of that. I guess it meant something else in the contract.

Wierd. I used to take that bus every once in a while to visit some family in SI and the operators (who were very nice, I might add) told me the MTA was mentioned in their papers/contracts when they were hired (I always asked why they were not an official "X" route), which made a lot of sense to me, and this thread reminded me of that. I guess it meant something else in the contract.

The X23 and the X24 Atlantic Express routes are under contract with the (MTA).

Ahhh...I guess that is what the drivers were referring to. Why did the MTA feel the need to contract out only 2 routes to another company and never take them over?

I think it's because the routes were originally (MTA) routes along with the X21 and X22. Here's an interesting article posted in the forums before (credit to Forest Glen on posting the article the the first time.)

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/staten_island_pols_call_on_mta.html

I think it's because the routes were originally (MTA) routes along with the X21 and X22. Here's an interesting article posted in the forums before (credit to Forest Glen on posting the article the the first time.)

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/staten_island_pols_call_on_mta.html

Great article! Thanks! (That goes to Forest Glen, too, of course)

I think the X22 used to be run by a private company before the company abandoned the route and a little while later the MTA realized that it had a chance to serve those customers and created the X22. It is a similar story with the X30. These buses were never run by Atlantic Express.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what good does it do to take over the X23/X24? Isn't the reason for the subsidy that they run at a loss, so the MTA loses money anyway.

Archived