MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

Boston only added John Lackey [who counters the Yankees' deal for Vasquez], but I don't think that makes Boston that much better.

Now that the Yankees have 4 quality top of the order starters and a pretty decent 5 starter in Hughes, I still think the Yankees have the edge.

Plus the pen as come a long way since last year. I will admit Joba is better in the pen and will hopefully give Mo more time to rest up and keep him fresh.

The pen also looks good with Marte having a great series against the Phillies [just dominance]. And I really like that Robertson kid, especially in that Twins ALDS series with the bases loaded and no outs. I have a better feeling about the pitching this year.

The batting line up is a different story with the loss of Matsui and damon. Otoh, Boston lost their biggest threat in Jason Bay, so Ortiz has even less protection, which is a huge plus.

But Boston has such a strong top 3 rotatation which includes Lester, Becket and Lackey along with a strong closer that can take on Mariano.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the Yankees have 4 top starters and Mo, the best closer in baseball.

IMO, the Yanks are better at 1B, SS, 3B, CF, RF, SP, and CP.

I can't wait till we bring in Crawford from Tampa.

Ellsbury and Drew overall are better then Granderson and Swisher. Just because they both have more power doesn't mean everything. I see the Yankees outfield as their weak spot. Brett Gardner is your left fielder and will bat 9th....

bosox get the wild card. angels aren't going to do so well with that rotation of theirs.
I agree. The Angels got a lot worse this offseason because they lost Chone Figgins and John Lackey. They made an OK move by signing an aging Hideki Matsui. I like that they added Joel Piñero, he'll be a solid 3 or 4 starter. Their bullpen is their biggest issue though. Ever since they lost Francisco Rodríguez, that bullpen has been lacking.

I agree. The Angels got a lot worse this offseason because they lost Chone Figgins and John Lackey. They made an OK move by signing an aging Hideki Matsui. I like that they added Joel Piñero, he'll be a solid 3 or 4 starter. Their bullpen is their biggest issue though. Ever since they lost Francisco Rodríguez, that bullpen has been lacking.

If the Angels had Francisco Rodríguez aka K-Rod they might have beaten the Yanks in the ALCS last Fall.

No, I kinda doubt that. It would've made them tougher, but the Yankees would've won in 7.

But the Yankees have 4 top starters and Mo, the best closer in baseball.

IMO, the Yanks are better at 1B, SS, 3B, CF, RF, SP, and CP.

I can't wait till we bring in Crawford from Tampa.

I agree, Crawford would be a nice addition next year.

But Boston has such a strong top 3 rotatation which includes Lester, Becket and Lackey along with a strong closer that can take on Mariano.

Sabathia and Pettitte are the top 2. Burnett is up and down. Vasquez is a strikeout machine. Pabelbon? He blew up in the ALCS, he only wishes he was good as Mo on his worst day.

Ellsbury and Drew overall are better then Granderson and Swisher. Just because they both have more power doesn't mean everything. I see the Yankees outfield as their weak spot. Brett Gardner is your left fielder and will bat 9th....
Gardner is a weak hitter, but he gives the team the speed they need. He is also a defensive upgrade over Damon.

Boston really should've kept Bay, he was Manny w/out the baggage.

Damon had a career year last season beacuse it was a contract year and at 37 he was looking for that one big deal to end his career. Damon figured the yanks would be suckers and give him a boatload of money which they didnt thought it was a great move and look forward to Carl Crawford and maybe Cliff Lee next season.

Damon had a career year last season beacuse it was a contract year and at 37 he was looking for that one big deal to end his career. Damon figured the yanks would be suckers and give him a boatload of money which they didnt thought it was a great move and look forward to Carl Crawford and maybe Cliff Lee next season.

No joke if the Yanks in the 2009/10 off season sign all of the players mentioned will be the 1st sports club in world history to have team payroll of $1 Billion.

Or the yearly budget of a small 3rd world country.B)

No joke if the Yanks in the 2009/10 off season sign all of the players mentioned will be the 1st sports club in world history to have team payroll of $1 Billion.

Or the yearly budget of a small 3rd world country.B)

True but they are losing some players too if Petite decides to retire thats 13 million and all those left fielders they have are all on one year deals too. Javier vasquez is also in the last year of his deal too.

Yeah, I think the Yankees will go after Lee [they'd be fools for not trying seeing how he dominated them in the WS]. But I like Vasquez. 2004 he was expected to replace Andy and Roger and kept the injury a secret. Now as a 4th starter, he can relax and do much better this time around. I do hope he stays next year.

Swisher is staying - with a year like last year, it'd be stupid to let him leave. Only Gardner would probably become the reserve OF.

Shifting gears on the biz side of MLB.

1)WFAN on it's Francesa show today 3/29/10 announced it has hired former Mets GM and ESPN MLB Commentator Steve Phillips as 'MLB Insider/Commentator' that will appear on shows like Francesa, "Joe & Evan' and 'Boomer and Carton.'

Phillips was recently fired from ESPN for having an extramartial affair with a young college intern/production asst. at that national sports tv station.

Should Phillips get a 3rd chance counting his firing as Mets GM for his 'sex addiction" issue?

2)TBS/Turner still has not named a replacement for the fired Chip Carey as lead play-play guy for their Sunday Afternoon and playoff coverage. Their new season starts only in 2 weeks. My guess is that it might be their current NBA on Turner and former Red Sox announcer Dick Stockon for now on this short notice.

3)Fox is moving two of it's game of week MLB coverage this season to 'prime time.' The first is a Mets-Yanks Saturday game in late May being shifted to a 6pm start. Second is a Yanks-Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium in late June also for a 6pm ET(new york time)1st pitch. Is "Cops' and "America's most wanted' in trouble for being cancelled.

According to media if succesful, most or all of the Fox Saturday MLB games would be moved to a 6pm-type prime time start starting in 2011 instead of the current 4pm east coast start.

Reactions?

Phillips is done and what kind of information can he get from players and managers he has alienated every inside source he has and no one inside baseball will trust him. Does he deserve a 3rd chance no ,until he drops this sexual addiction garbage and owns up to just being a dog. reguarding Stockton becoming lead announcer big mistake anyone watchning the Jets-Falcons game last year no the reason why. He is senile. TBS should go and hire Gary Thorne, Bob Uecker or bring in Ken Singleton.

Realistically, Damon would still be a Yankee if Boras hadn't tried to play hardball. He wound up taking slightly less at Detroit what the Yankees had originally offered him.

Phillips is done and what kind of information can he get from players and managers he has alienated every inside source he has and no one inside baseball will trust him. Does he deserve a 3rd chance no ,until he drops this sexual addiction garbage and owns up to just being a dog. reguarding Stockton becoming lead announcer big mistake anyone watchning the Jets-Falcons game last year no the reason why. He is senile. TBS should go and hire Gary Thorne, Bob Uecker or bring in Ken Singleton.

Stockon was a great announcer but he now an aging former great announcer. Stockton was the long time voice of the Red Sox and not to mention the #1 lead NBA announcer for CBS-TV in the '80's. And the back up to the Madden/Summerall crew on NFL game in the '80's/early '90's as well.

Bob Ucker is also an old man imo and should stay working local Brewers TV and radio games. Thorne is doing Orioles games on TV and Singleton only could work for YES in current contract.

My suggestion for TBS as i stated before for a younger new play play voice include the following. Kenny Albert, the Mets Gary Cohen, the Red Sox lead TV announcer Don Orehell(spell check) and the Brewers Brain Anderson.

Anderson and Orhell did some of the TBS 1st round(division series) games.

Wait Yankees-Dodgers at LA? The last time they played it was at LA. Why haven't they played in the Bronx yet?

Agreed GC on this year Yanks-Dodgers being in NY. The Yanks-Phils also meet in an world series rematch this season. Like last year the game is once again in the Bronx. To be fair, this year Phils-Yanks matchup should be in philly.

The Yanks other "interleague' matchup this year is versus the D Backs in Arizona.

Agreed GC on this year Yanks-Dodgers being in NY. The Yanks-Phils also meet in an world series rematch this season. Like last year the game is once again in the Bronx. To be fair, this year Phils-Yanks matchup should be in philly.

The Yanks other "interleague' matchup this year is versus the D Backs in Arizona.

Well the Yankees did play the Phillies in Philadelphia in either 97 or 98.

2)TBS/Turner still has not named a replacement for the fired Chip Carey as lead play-play guy for their Sunday Afternoon and playoff coverage. Their new season starts only in 2 weeks. My guess is that it might be their current NBA on Turner and former Red Sox announcer Dick Stockon for now on this short notice.

Ernie Johnson, Brian Anderson, and Dick Stockton (oh boy-- I heard a YT clip of him going "BALL 4, STRIKE 3!" lol)

http://the506.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1268759107/0#0

3)Fox is moving two of it's game of week MLB coverage this season to 'prime time.' The first is a Mets-Yanks Saturday game in late May being shifted to a 6pm start. Second is a Yanks-Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium in late June also for a 6pm ET(new york time)1st pitch. Is "Cops' and "America's most wanted' in trouble for being cancelled.

According to media if succesful, most or all of the Fox Saturday MLB games would be moved to a 6pm-type prime time start starting in 2011 instead of the current 4pm east coast start.

I thought the games will start at 7 PM instead of 6 PM.

Wait Yankees-Dodgers at LA? The last time they played it was at LA. Why haven't they played in the Bronx yet?

I have no idea but it is stupid. The Dodgers never played in the Bronx since the 1981 World Series.

Well the Yankees did play the Phillies in Philadelphia in either 97 or 98.

The Yankees were in Philly in 1997, 1999, 2001, and 2006. The Phillies were in the Bronx in 1998, 2000, and 2009.

President Barack Obama will throw out the ceremonial first ball at the Washington Senators' home opener on April 5th vs. the Philadelphia Phillies.

Marking the centennial anniversary since President William Howard Taft first threw out the first ball on April 14, 1910, President Obama's will be the 48th Presidential first pitch to open the season in our nation's capital.

Archived