MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) ....manager LaRussa.

2) if you weren't just throwing that fact out there.... I don't see what point you're trying to make.

- if Cardinal pitchers tend to get base hits over whoever their #9 is, that's a good strategy...

- if LaRussa has a #9 hitter that's just as good as his leadoff hitter, that's also a good strategy to put the pitcher in the #8.....

win-win.....

Good for the Phillies, better them then to see the Braves win the division. And their wild card lead is slim, just a couple of games ahead. The Padres have 2 games in hand over the Braves.

The season ends with a 3 game series against the Phillies in Atlanta. The Padres finish with a 3 game series at S.F Giants

which will decide the N.L West division winner.

Good for the Phillies, better them then to see the Braves win the division. And their wild card lead is slim, just a couple of games ahead. The Padres have 2 games in hand over the Braves.

The season ends with a 3 game series against the Phillies in Atlanta. The Padres finish with a 3 game series at S.F Giants

which will decide the N.L West division winner.

Hey Locomotion where are the Rockies as a contender for the NL West Title and Wild Card spot? They been red hot over last couple of weeks breathing down the necks of the Padres, Braves and Giants.:eek:

And lets not forget Troy Tulowitzki maybe one of the most underrated star players in all of pro sports today not just MLB, is having one of the best offensive Septembers in many years.

Shifting gears, anyone noticed that the Phillies have won 8-9 straight games as of this morning 9/21/10? I read in the papers this is the team longest winning streak since the John Kruk/Curt Schilling-lead club that went to the World Series in 1993? Sure Patcoman is smiling right now.

The Phillies won 10 straight games last July.

1) ....manager LaRussa.

2) if you weren't just throwing that fact out there.... I don't see what point you're trying to make.

- if Cardinal pitchers tend to get base hits over whoever their #9 is, that's a good strategy...

- if LaRussa has a #9 hitter that's just as good as his leadoff hitter, that's also a good strategy to put the pitcher in the #8.....

win-win.....

Sorry, I was sorta tired when I made that post. I was stating that LaRussa likes to use the 9th hitter as a leadoff hitter in some situations. Remember when Alfonso Soriano batted 9th back in 2001?

Unlike in 2008 when Jeter was justified to play in the AS game at Yankees stadium, I will not try to justify his current play this year. One can only hope for his sakes he takes a 'pay cut'. Cuz one thing's for sure: he's not worth near 'Arod money'.

I will also say that [though I want Jeter to end as a Yankee], if he doesn't agree to a pay cut, then he can go elsewhere and take his chances. Boston got rid of their star in Nomar and won the WS without him. So I gotta be realistic and say that Jeter needs to be realistic if he wants to stay. If not, then he's expendable. Pena can do a serviceable job in any position and maybe hit a little at a fraction of what Jeter makes.

They should invest the money in Crawford.

The recession is having a huge impact on '2' surprise playoff contenders ticket sales. The Reds about to clinch their 1st playoff berth since 1995 are only getting on average about 20,000 fans a game. This is a surpise for Cincy, as I thought this was a 'baseball town.'

http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=13162184

Meanwhile the Padres attendence in San Diego is also a big issue.

Looks like Bud Selig will be MLB Boss for life. His assumed replacement Bob Dupuy is stepping down as Deputy Commissioner/Chief Opearating Officer in a dispute with Selig.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2010/09/27/2010-09-27_bud_seligs_righthand_man_bob_dupuy_to_step_down_after_friction_with_mlb_commissi.html

To be honest, if he was on the Yankees, I'd be cheering for him. But since he's not. I gotta question his 'totals'. Some of those games the Yankees lost because of him [and it turns out he did steroids] should become wins that could've been a bigger help in the standings right now.

And why does it seem like every month there's a series in Toronto? This is just crazy.

To be honest, if he was on the Yankees, I'd be cheering for him. But since he's not. I gotta question his 'totals'. Some of those games the Yankees lost because of him [and it turns out he did steroids] should become wins that could've been a bigger help in the standings right now.

And why does it seem like every month there's a series in Toronto? This is just crazy.

b/c the red sox/yankee rivalry is dying a slow death...

the proof in that, is the fact at how they've been scheduled to play each other, as of the past few seasons... the (first month) & the (last month) of these past few seasons, they played each other in bunches {a last ditch effort to boost ratings towards the beginning & the waning portions of a season}... see, before it was like, at least a red sox/yankee series every month....

as far as AL east series goes, this is why you're beginning to see the yankees play more oriole and blue jay series' during the "meat" of the season...

1) The stadium itself is located in an area that's not to be desired.... people are told not to astray too far from stadium grounds.... outside of safety concerns, it's situated in an awkward area w/i the city (do a search on tropicana field in the google maps, and you'll see what I'm talking about).... even the lightning (NHL) smartened up & moved to Tampa back in 96, I think that was (the lightning used to play in st. pete in their first few years of their franchise's inception)

2) Florida, in itself, whose interest level as far as sports go, is favored heavily towards college football... baseball isn't given a second thought... and as much as I hate to bring this up, people down there are all amped up to see *sigh* Wade, LeBron, and Bosh play, when the NBA season starts up....

3) There's been complaints/reports stating that prices (ticket prices, refreshments, etc) are far too high, for a team with such low worth.... you may as well go to Yankee stadium & pay similar prices - most of the fans there are yankee fans anyway (IMO, 2nd to only baltimore out in camden yards, in this category... with a higher propensity of fans of the opposing team in a home stadium)

No wonder the owner is cutting the payroll down to 60 million.

1) The stadium itself is located in an area that's not to be desired.... people are told not to astray too far from stadium grounds.... outside of safety concerns, it's situated in an awkward area w/i the city (do a search on tropicana field in the google maps, and you'll see what I'm talking about).... even the lightning (NHL) smartened up & moved to Tampa back in 96, I think that was (the lightning used to play in st. pete in their first few years of their franchise's inception)

2) Florida, in itself, whose interest level as far as sports go, is favored heavily towards college football... baseball isn't given a second thought... and as much as I hate to bring this up, people down there are all amped up to see *sigh* Wade, LeBron, and Bosh play, when the NBA season starts up....

3) There's been complaints/reports stating that prices (ticket prices, refreshments, etc) are far too high, for a team with such low worth.... you may as well go to Yankee stadium & pay similar prices - most of the fans there are yankee fans anyway (IMO, 2nd to only baltimore out in camden yards, in this category... with a higher propensity of fans of the opposing team in a home stadium)

No wonder the owner is cutting the payroll down to 60 million.

well said bro. Orlando IMO might have been a better choice to get a club better than Tampa/St. Pete.

Maybe, but face it, Florida in general is just a bad place for baseball. It's only good for spring training when the weather is warmer. Otherwise Tampa would probably be better off in like Jersey or CT.

GC i am not saying you wrong that a team in NJ would do well. However it will never happen. The Yanks, Mets, Phils and Red Sox will never allow another team in the Northeast/New England area.

As far as new aka expansion teams, I still predict within 15-20 years, there be MLB teams in the Carribean, i.e Puerto Rico and even Japan such as a merger with the Japan major leagues.

• 3 weeks later...

Any surprises with the Dodgers namimg Don Mattingly, the Braves naming Fredi Gonzalez, the Cubs naming (former interim) Mike Quade and the Mariners naming Eric Wedge as their managers?

I was a little surprised at how the National League finished. Not surprised that the Phillies won their fourth consecutive National League East division title as I was by their ending up with 97 wins. Braves sent Bobby Cox out a winner with 90 wins and a trip to the N.L.D.S.

The A.L. East ended up a reversal of the 2008 edition with the Rays winning, the Yankees winning the WildCard and the Red Sox finishing third and winning 89 games. The Blue Jays sent Cito Gaston out a winner. The Orioles finished with a winning record under Buck Showalter - 34-23.

The Rays had a decent season attracting 1,864,999 fans for 81 home games at Tropicana Field though that was good for only ninth in the A.L. this season. In Miami, the Marlins again trailed the N.L. attracting 1,524,894 for 81 home games at Sun Life Stadium. The Braves attracted 2,510,119 for 81 home games at Turner Field.

The DiamondBacks? What can I say? 65-97 and 2,056,697 for 81 home games at Chase Field. Only the Senators (69-93), Pirates (57-105), and Marlins (80-82) attracted less. Our fellow Mountain States team, the Rockies attracted 2,875,245 for 81 home games at Coors Field. The Rockies ended on a down note but still finished 83-79.

Archived