Board approves sweeping bus, subway service cuts that will mean long waits

Shortline Bus

Let the waiting begin.

The MTA board gave final approval Wednesday to a sweeping package of bus and subway service cuts that will mean longer waits and more crowded slower trips for millions of straphangers.

The service cuts - set to begin this summer - include eliminating 34 local and express bus routes, halting overnight service on another 15 routes and ending weekend service on 16 routes.

Two subway lines will disappear from the map, and waits for many off-peak subway trains will increase by two minutes, officials said.

The vote came after riders, transit advocates, union officials and a few politicians urged the MTA to find some way to maintain current levels of service.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/24/2010-03-24_mta_board_approves_sweeping_bus_subway_service_cuts_that_will_mean_long_waits_cr.html#ixzz0j7lv7HGa

post-3473-133288581683_thumb.jpg

post-3473-133288581683_thumb.jpg

I'm gvery sick of tired of the (MTA) adding domsday cuts :mad:. First they' ve added fares but now they want to eliminate express service so that the (A)(D) (:((E)(N)(F)(2)(4) and (7) could stop on every stations:mad::mad:.

And where do you get the idea they're eliminating express service for subway service? I see some express and local bus service being cut when i read that article.

The most ridiculous part of this whole process is how only two weeks were allowed between the hearings and the vote. Many people submitted suggestions for alternate cuts that would have had a lesser impact but there was not even enough time for the staff to review those proposals and I even have proof to that effect. That fact alone should be enough to invalidate the vote. Why even have a public hearing other than for legal reasons, if you are going to ignore most of the testimony anyway? Go to the MTA website and see how one hour and forty minutes of the Brooklyn testimony is missing when they tell you the whole hearing is available on line for you to view. If they didn't even watch all the oral testimony, you can imagine how much of the written testimony was looked at. Also, ridiculous were the public hearing notices referred you to the internet for more information. There is a whole population out there that is computer illiterate. Many people will not even be aware that.

The most ridiculous part of this whole process is how only two weeks were allowed between the hearings and the vote. Many people submitted suggestions for alternate cuts that would have had a lesser impact but there was not even enough time for the staff to review those proposals and I even have proof to that effect. That fact alone should be enough to invalidate the vote. Why even have a public hearing other than for legal reasons, if you are going to ignore most of the testimony anyway? Go to the MTA website and see how one hour and forty minutes of the Brooklyn testimony is missing when they tell you the whole hearing is available on line for you to view. If they didn't even watch all the oral testimony, you can imagine how much of the written testimony was looked at. Also, ridiculous were the public hearing notices referred you to the internet for more information. There is a whole population out there that is computer illiterate. Many people will not even be aware that.

Not to mention Chief Jay Walder, only atttended in person one of the hearings in person, the one in the Bronx. Brooklyn imo is being hardest hit.:tdown:

i'm alright with this all lol. no significant changes to my commute, except that now i have a direct route to middle village instead of having to transfer buses.

No offense kid, but Ridgewood/Middle Village was maybe one of the very handful neighborhoods citywide that was spared with or will benefit with the service cuts (cough cough being politicallly correct:confused:)'adjustments' that the (MTA) will make.:(

Im not gonna blame the t/a as much on this since the damn state isnt even funding much of this ether. Last year we were saved since Paterson funded the t/a, but thx to him after, he lied and just kept removing funds from t/a.

Student Metrocards SHOULD BE FUNDED by the CITY and/or STATE NOT the T/A.. Why does the t/a gotta spend there own money to get students around. They are not the DOE..

Fare beaters is another reason for this.. T/A loses MONEY everyday thanks to people getting inside the buses thru the back or bypassing B/O, Hopping the turnstiles or entering via EM Gates..

So the city deserves it a bit, but not as much of course. Not making things negative, just pointing flaws out, but its not all of the t/as fault for this.. T/A doesn't want to this but has to..

The one person who NEEDs to become a CUT is Paterson who is the WORST Gov't here..

This is disgusting in every sense of the word. So many people, including me, are going to be affected by these cuts. No one was trying to help fix the problem and that's what bugs me the most. It's a given that the (MTA) doesn't give a shit but neither does the city or the state. I wish something dramatic would happen to stop this from happening. The way things are going something bad will have to happen to wake up this entire region or even the world to why these cuts are so detrimental. I hope it doesn't come to that, but the (MTA) is setting it up for shit to go down.

The only major cut that would affect me the most is the Bx55 not running on weekends. For me, I'd rather have cuts than fare hikes any day of the week.

I thought it was being cut completely and forcing the Bx15 to become 100% d60?

If it does become d60 im wondering if its gonna stay with WF and get some of KBs d60s(Since the Bx19 is using all of the d60s) or being moved to KB.. I hope it doesn't!

The only major cut that would affect me the most is the Bx55 not running on weekends. For me, I'd rather have cuts than fare hikes any day of the week.

Dont worry the fare hikes are coming in the fall watch....

(MTA), taking all of y'all for a ride....

The sad part is that if Spitzer had been a little more discreet as Client #9, we probably would not be having this conversation right now.

Agreed we would have a real Governor, again Patterson has to go. He has contuely screwed New York City and for the life of me I dont see how any City resident could support this bum.

Im not gonna blame the t/a as much on this since the damn state isnt even funding much of this ether. Last year we were saved since Paterson funded the t/a, but thx to him after, he lied and just kept removing funds from t/a.

Student Metrocards SHOULD BE FUNDED by the CITY and/or STATE NOT the T/A.. Why does the t/a gotta spend there own money to get students around. They are not the DOE..

Fare beaters is another reason for this.. T/A loses MONEY everyday thanks to people getting inside the buses thru the back or bypassing B/O, Hopping the turnstiles or entering via EM Gates..

So the city deserves it a bit, but not as much of course. Not making things negative, just pointing flaws out, but its not all of the t/as fault for this.. T/A doesn't want to this but has to..

The one person who NEEDs to become a CUT is Paterson who is the WORST Gov't here..

Along with all the other bloodsuckers up in Albany.

The sad part is that if Spitzer had been a little more discreet as Client #9, we probably would not be having this conversation right now.

I'm not sure if things would be better or worse if he was still in office though. Also I was really surprised he stepped down because of that. Given the 'scandals' by Patterson, Spitzer's mess was like nothing.

Archived