Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

No Love for the soon to be dead W line?

I allway railfan the (W) line every day until the the R40s left. It a shame that they are discontinuing the (W). The only thing I know it that I will be on the last train.

The Southern BMT (M2) & (W). 2 Great routes that I will personally miss..:tdown: Bad idea to scrap these routes..

Your signature says it all Zach. :cry::cry::cry:

The end of the routes coincides with the last day of school, at least for me.

June 25, 2010...Goodbye...

And to think my first subway ride was between Canal and Whitehall on the (W) in mid-2002...-_-:cry:

The Southern BMT (M2) & (W). 2 Great routes that I will personally miss..:tdown: Bad idea to scrap these routes..

Same here man -_-

Plus it sucks that they wanna make the (N) run local all times in Manhattan, which just doubly sucks.

The (M2) on the southern BMT will be greatly missed by me as well :P

Same here man -_-

Plus it sucks that they wanna make the (N) run local all times in Manhattan, which just doubly sucks.

The (M2) on the southern BMT will be greatly missed by me as well :P

Agreed dave. IMO if possible the (W) could have stayed a rush hour only line at least. IMO the (MTA) underestimated the # of rider peak hours from Astoria Line stations who work in Lower Manhattan(Wall St)that use the soon to be gone (W) will make the (R) very crowded.

I only agreed with (MTA) that late evening service after 7pm and maybe the Midday period weekdays on the (W) should have be canned in these tough times.

But now the (Q) will be extended to Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard and the (N) will become local from Canal Street to Lexington Avenue.

The (R) will only be solo rush hours between Whitehall and 36th Street as I believe both the (N) and (D) will still be express.

Still, -_- to see the (W) leave.

On Friday August 27, 1976, it was the 70(EE) from 71st-Continental Avenues to Whitehall with the 70(N) being extended.

Now on Friday June 25, 2010, it will be the (W) from Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Whitehall with the (Q) being extended.

Agreed dave. IMO if possible the (W) could have stayed a rush hour only line at least. IMO the (MTA) underestimated the # of rider peak hours from Astoria Line stations who work in Lower Manhattan(Wall St)that use the soon to be gone (W) will make the (R) very crowded.

I only agreed with (MTA) that late evening service after 7pm and maybe the Midday period weekdays on the (W) should have be canned in these tough times.

Not only would the (R) be crowded heading to Lower Manhattan, but so would the (4) and (5) since they run express. Many Astoria riders would transfer at Lex Av for the expresses to Wall St.

Good riddance the (W) should have been eliminated after the bridge construction was completed. The (W) was a luxury never thought Astoria needed two lines and always thought the (N) should be local via broadway.

Good riddance the (W) should have been eliminated after the bridge construction was completed. The (W) was a luxury never thought Astoria needed two lines and always thought the (N) should be local via broadway.

What are you talking about??? The only thing that should have been to the (W) would be to reduce it to a rush hour only bi-directional service because the destination signs on the R32s and the original R40 and R42 signs had a diamond <W> because that was its original intention.

As for making the (Q) the only express line, that is a huge mistake in the making.

I i didn't think so either... but more local service on Broadway is needed. Possibly increase service on the (R). That would also benefit Queens Blvd. Customers. If not then maybe switch the (R) Express and (N) local

What are you talking about??? The only thing that should have been to the (W) would be to reduce it to a rush hour only bi-directional service because the destination signs on the R32s and the original R40 and R42 signs had a diamond <W> because that was its original intention.

As for making the (Q) the only express line, that is a huge mistake in the making.

There was never a (W) before 2001 and again it was a luxury, Broadway will be fine with one express. Two expresses on Broadway were a luxury and with the (N) running local Broadway will have significantly better local service. 8av only has one express and it's fine. As a matter of fact the MTA was going to eliminate the (W) in 2004 after the bridge was finished.

There was never a (W) before 2001 and again it was a luxury, Broadway will be fine with one express. Two expresses on Broadway were a luxury and with the (N) running local Broadway will have significantly better local service. 8av only has one express and it's fine. As a matter of fact the MTA was going to eliminate the (W) in 2004 after the bridge was finished.

Well if it really wasn't needed, then why was it kept? The only reason the (W) is being eliminated is because it's coming down to the wire with money. If the (MTA) thought that keeping the (W) after the completion of the Manhattan Bridge work wasn't necessary, then it would've been gone then. The (W) picks up it's share of riders IMO.

There was never a (W) before 2001 and again it was a luxury,

The (W) was created as a result of the Manhattan Bridge north side closures, and instead of resurrecting the Yellow (-_- or (D), they used the (W) and had the signs updated so they would have the circle reading instead of the diamond.

Broadway will be fine with one express.

No, it won't. The (Q) runs 10TPH at the height of the rush hour and the (N) runs 9 (8 during the a.m. rush) for a total of 19 trains. The Q alone won't be able to pick up the slack for all the riders who use it as the (N) and (Q) trains are packed during rush hours.

Two expresses on Broadway were a luxury and with the (N) running local Broadway will have significantly better local service.

Read the above reply (second from the top in this post). And on a further note:

How

will

this

help

express

riders

who

will

have

only

one

train

route

during

the

rush

compared

to

the

current

two

which

both

carry

a

lot

of

people

?

8av only has one express and it's fine. As a matter of fact the MTA was going to eliminate the (W) in 2004 after the bridge was finished.

The (A) runs 15 TPH during the height of the rush hour is why. On the latter note, I'd like to hear concrete evidence that supports your claim that the (W) was being eliminated after the bridge repairs.

Have you ever seen Astoria stations in the morning? Before some trains reach 36 Av they are packed. Evidence of that is the (MTA) sending the (Q) to Astoria now, so it does appear that Astoria needs the service.

I'm a bit confused...are you saying that the (W) is justified staying?

I'm a bit confused...are you saying that the (W) is justified staying?

Sorry, that was to nel saying that Astoria doesn't need two lines, whatever they are. I used to reverse commute up there and looking across to the Manhattan platforms, I did not want to be going Manhattan-bound that time of day.

Archived